help needed identifying a buggy class

UndercoverFab

Reaction
i`ve seen a few buggys and some photos of buggys with northstar and ls1 engines in them, does anyone know what class these are or if theres more then one class, they appeared to be stock besides the addition of aftermarket fuel injection and a few with 180 degree headers.

Harpo

Reaction
These are all class 1 (unlimited) cars. One of the main reasons you see quite a few of these engine configurations is they are fast, reliable, and quite inexpensive compared to other "crate" engines.

desertracer

Reaction
There are many class 1 guys moving towards these motors because of cost, reliability, and longevity. For 7500 you can have a complete northstar v-8 with electronics,clutch, headers, everything. With this one you get about 300-330 hp to the ground. For a complete ls1 it will run about 10500 and you'll get about 350 to the ground. The northstar is a little more high tech, 32 valve, but you do give up some cubic inches to the ls1. (4.6l vs 5.7l) Either one would make a great motor for a pre-runner or race car. What's nice is that they run on 92 pump gas and will go about 4000-6000 miles before they need a rebuild. I got all this info from Redline Performance, they are one of the biggest outlets for these "crate" motors to the off-road world. I guess the Herbst's ordered a few ls1's for a pre-runner from them because of the ease of maintence compared to a custom v-8.

UndercoverFab

Reaction
so besides the engine these buggys are the most $$ compared to other buggy classes? I was just assuming sicne the long blocks seemed basically stock to me that this might not be a top dollar buggy class.

desertracer

Reaction
Yes you are pretty much correct on the most expensive part. An a-arm class 1 car will set you back quite a bit in the check book, however these days almost all the classes will set you back the same..10,protruck,8,7open. These motors give the class 1 guys a way to go just as fast and offset the price of the car. If you don't run one of these motors you have to spend 20-35k on a race v-4 or v-6 to be just as fast. Redline was telling me that they want class 1 to be more obtainable for people to race, for the price of this motor a nice 10 car wouldn't cost much more than a 1 car with this set-up. These motors seem like the answer for class 1, we could almost make it a spec motor in a sense.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Now, we just need a reasonably priced and reliable transaxle to go with these motors.

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction
Jeff Fields auto is the only way to go.we have one in are A arm car and it`s great.

UndercoverFab

Reaction
anybody know where i might be able to find a price comparision of different classes? the way i see it is i`d rather be able to go 10 races and have a car thats able to win on any given day then go to 20-30 and have a car thats barely staying together and running back of the pack on its best day, if anyone has aim and can answer my questions i`d appreciate it, probably be quicker then filling up your board with a bunch of topics and pissing people off.

oh yeah my sn is outlaw105builder

billymanfroy

Reaction
RE: "...be able to go 10 races and have a car thats able to win on any given day then go to 20-30 and have a car thats barely staying together and running back of the pack on its best day..."

Yeah, me too... PM me when you figure it out.

Billy

UndercoverFab

Reaction
figure what out? maybe that came out the wrong way, i wasnt trying to sound like i expect to go out and win races i was just saying i wanna know the car underneath me is capable of winning, its never been any fun to me to get on a track knowing full well the car underneath me is only capable of running mid pack at best.

michael_loomis

Reaction
im all in favor of class 1/2 1600 .... do a search there have been lots of debates on classes to run but as Kash and Dan proved at Ridgecrest .... 1600 is definately a great class

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Kash and Dan also can drive the hell out of anything, so lets not take anything away from that small fact.

billymanfroy

Reaction
Actually, maybe my post came out the wrong way! I have been racing for years now and have learned that it never really quite goes the way you want it to. I was referring to the fact that even though our truck has always been relatively fast where we run, it has broken a lot of goofy, enexpected stuff that let us down and put us out of many races. I was trying to say that if you figure out how to start off from scratch winning and not breaking, let me know.

If you have the budget, I would highly recommend staying away from the more expensive/heavy vehicles like trucks, or exotics like 10 or 1. My buddy bought a class 9 car years ago that was clean as could be, and I think he only spent like $6-8 k for it. He won everyhting he entered with it, and would then bring it home and change the oil and some front end pieces. I assume class 1/2 1600 is relatively similar, but in both cases, you're looking at a very popular class with a high number of experienced racers with sorted cars, so mid-pack may be a lot faster than you think.

I would also recommend buying a proven winner, rather than building one.

Hope that clears up my post.

UndercoverFab

Reaction
maybe i should have elaborated more also, i wasn`t talking about the breaking parts or the lack of experience keep me out of the winners circle what i meant to say was that before a race begins i want to know that whatever i`m driving has the ability to run up front ie not a 10 year old chassis with a beat engine and a trashed bus box, i`d rather not start in a slow class because of other types of racing i`ve done, i want to get experience working on them and seeing what it costs to maintain and race them throughout a season then get a car this winter, i already have a truck and trailer i can use to haul it that i think would be more then adaquete, and i`m not rich by any means but i live very comfortably for 22 years old.
my main reason for starting this post about the engines is because i have quite a few ls1`s in my shop from cars that wanted to step up to ls6`s or better engines and figured that i would save alot on the drivetrain up front becuase of that.
thanks for all the replys guys it really helped point me in the right direction.