• Forum membership has its advantages....

HELP NEEDED!

spalind

Rally engineers!!!! Need assistance!! New fuel cell in truck (Pyrotect) cell comes from factory with notches in the top flange...the notches are OPEN to the air just a crack? The rest of the top is sealed. When we put gas in, some gas started coming from these notches. Are these notches and overflow or release of some kind? Manufacturer doesn’t open yet...

Attachments

spalind

Notches are factory, cell has foam as is FIA compliant. Some fuel is getting into the bladder as the engine runs and vapors come out the vent line but gas seems to be getting around the bladder and then leaking out the top?

43mod

Fill plate may be leaking and your just seeing it at this joint ? My new pyrotect cell had all top plate bolts handy on delivery. Good luck

spalind

As an update...fuel cell may or may not have been leaking...we took it apart, got new gaskets and resealed it...but...what HAD happened was that as the foam and bladder were deflated and the top of the cell was open and exposed to elements, water and perhaps more had gotten into the space between the bladder and the aluminum cell to the extent of several gallons...

Then when the bladder was inflated by filling it with gas it created a great deal of pressure on the water/mix the bladder was virtually floating in...so each time gas went it, the bladder expanded pushing the water/mix out, making it look like there was a giant leak...short story--removed water/mix, filled bladder, drilled tiny drain hole in bottom of cell, drained all water/mix...carried on...

Thanks!

spalind

You opened the top, left it that way in the rain or something and didnt realize there was water or contaminates in the shell?
Builder left it in the rain and being a moron I didn't think about it.

jon coleman

aaaa, a confessional thread, ' fab faux-pas', post up Dumbest move all you hot shot fabbers pulled.ive got a few , ill post when i can remember them.( i have tried Hard to forget em

Bert is my name

Not a hot shot Fabber move. But I left rags in an engine while resealing an intake manifold and filled the oil galleys with pieces of rags. Killed it.