Help on building up Ranger

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
RDC Crypto
I'm from Tennessee and have been wanting to build up a 95,96 Ranger 2wd. How should I build it up? I want to run 35's, and budget of around 4000$. I know this isn't much, that's all I got. I just went to the Baja 500, and love all those cool trucks! Much help is needed.
thanks
-Freddy

singlehanded

RDC Crypto
First I think you need to figure out what your going to be using the truck for and what you need. Travel is good but without a good shock it won't work right. You are probably not going to be able to run 35" tires if $4000 includes suspension, fiberglass and rims and tires. I would suggest running 33" 's and using a good shock all the way around like a 2.5 king or saw(but right there you have about a grand just in shocks). I would check out camburg and baja concept to see what the prices range from. Also remember those kits are not with good shocks and nationals in the rear or a cage in the cab for safety. I think you will realize what most teenagers do when getting into offroading, there is no cheap kit that you can bolt on and have a reliable prerunner. Hope this helps.

local

bajaboy

RDC Crypto
This is very true ! Save up some more , invest in the shocks !! Those older rangers have so much potential ! The many I've worked on are done without thinking first , I always get the same truck month after month for a upgrade , Save the money , research , and you'll actually save money ! Oh yeah , You don't need 22 inches of travel if your going to see dirt once every 6 months!

Good Luck with the Ranger ! , bajaboy

Greg

RDC Crypto
Website
prerunners.com
You can do a good build-up for that amount, especially if you buy used stuff. My girfriend bought her '84 ranger for $2800 with 33's, front glass, 4:56 gears, Camburg radius arms, custom front bumper, and bent beams. Then she bought a used set of King prerunner shocks for the front for $300, a used (but new) set of SAW 2.5 for the rear for $400, a set of used nationals for $250, and used (new) PRP seats for $300. Granted I did the fab work, most of which was bolt-on, but she still has only $4050 in her truck and its got some nice stuff. I know your a long way from this area but if you shop around you can find some great deals.

Greg
lilrdrnr.gif

bajaboy

RDC Crypto
Good Point Greg ,

Buying used shocks is not a bad idea since they are rebuildable . Brett over at King has usually has no problem overhauling shocks for people , just don't catch them when their really busy , its best not to rush them anyway . SAW's are just as easy to overhaul too ! Heck , just looking at the Recycler right now there's a few trucks for $4000-$5000 that are already pretty sturdy , sometimes when your patient you'll find the best deals !

bajaboy

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
RDC Crypto
You guys have to remeber that this guy is from Tennessee and prerunners are not easy to come by.
Just a thought.

rdc

RDC Crypto
Thanks for all the great help. In Tennessee, everything is big and 4wd. But, with a little research and time, I think it'll all come together.
thanks
-Freddy

rdc

RDC Crypto
Anybody know where I can buy used parts or prerunner trucks online?
thanks
-Freddy from Tennessee

michael

RDC Crypto
Website
www.texasoff-road.com
Check out the classified section on this site, then some of the links.....whole trucks are for sale on here all the time.
Meanwhile here are a couple of sites with Ranger buildups:

crlong01.www7.50megs.com/index.html

Michael <A target="_blank" HREF=http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>