Help on rear shocks?

Tim

Reaction
I have a tacoma with a deaver prerunner pack. A long time ago I blew out the stock bilstiens that come with the truck. My question is what shocks should I get? Used or new? SAW big bore, fox, bilstien 51, 71, doestech, king etc. ? I want a shock that can make the most of my limited travel and that wont be too much for a broke college student. thanks in advance, Tim
p.s. stock mounting locations, may do a under bed bar before new shock, but either way travel is considerably limited.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I also have a Tacoma and used to run the same Deaver pack with a set of 10" Bil 7100's. I had relocate all the shock mounts by putting new lower mounts on the axle and slapping that bar you are talking about for the uppers.

Will you be going through the bed with a hoop in the future? If you are then I would say just slap some Bilstien 5100's in the stock locations for now and save the money for the hoop and 14" shocks. If you are never going to go through the bed, then I'd say jump up to a 7100, Fox 2.0 or SAW 2.0 with resivour. You can fit a 10" travel shock in there no problem. You may want to think about putting limiting straps in there though, the deaver will want to droop so you have 15" travel, and because you are staying under the bed you'll be limited to 10". Every time you leave the ground the axle is going to pull on the shock.

98 Tacoma Prerunner, Camburg Long Travel Kit, Deavers, 7100's, blah blah..

Josh_Bethmann

Reaction
Go with what works. For a broke college student, the good money is on Bilstein 51's. But they will go out again. Those big spring packs are a lot to handle for a single tube nitrogen shock. Save some money and invest in a good set of resevoir shocks. (i.e. Bilstein 71's or 91's or SAW's) Im in the process of putting SAW's in the rear to help control the deavers I have in my Ranger. I have 5100's in the rear now and they are about shot. Nothng against Bilstein but the deavers do require something a little bit bigger. Thats just my experience.
-Josh

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.JTB-Design.com>http://www.JTB-Design.com</A>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I agree. I ahve 51s with a racepack and they are shot. We have Fox 2.0s on one of our chase trucks and they are in stock location and after a valve job they work fine and we have had no reason to go through the bed due to the performance we get out of the rear end.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.animalhousedesigns.net>Animal House</A>

firedog

Reaction
Check out Advanced Off-Road Research www.aor4x4.com (online Catalog) they sell an under the bed mount and one that goes through the bed. They can also hook you up with Fox Shox. Hope this helps. Paul

PBC_Tacoma_Kid

Reaction
Im kind of in the same situation except I need my bed for now, so a hoop maybe a year or 2 off. Is there anyreason you think I should not go for a 2.0 under bed for now besides losing a little bit of money? Could i just torch off the mounts if i needed for hooping it? Also to anyone else, I need to carry a load in my truck bed for now, can deaver make packs that willl give the performance but not sacrifice my payload?

firedog

Reaction
If you need the bed then keep it and mount the shocks under the bed for now. When the time comes to put them through the bed you will need a new mount and possibly now shocks (good time to upgrade as well). AOR sells springs for Toy's also. They offer an orbit-eye joint that is a pretty cool option.

scott

Reaction
For stock location the SAW big bore's are pretty cool.... Check into them

Tim

Reaction
Thanks everybody! I'll check into a.o.r., I remember seeing their site a while ago. As far as the big bores, is there anyone who has tried and them and knows if they are worth it?
And anyone else, is an under bed bar worth it? Or is a good shock and valving going to be "near" as good?

drtdevil93

Reaction
if you are a reasonable person, we can make just about anything you want. the tacoma pack is alright if you are carrying only very minor loads (occasional dirtbike, etc.). you could try them out, and if they dont work, them damnit, we will make them work, cause thats what we do.

erik

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Deaver can make you a pack to your specs, the Tacoma pack they sell shouldn't be used to haul lots of loads. Its really soft and is setup to let the shocks do the work, hence putting a good shock under there is a good idea.

98 Tacoma Prerunner, Camburg Long Travel Kit

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
A shock with adjustable valving is a good idea....generally for your application you will want a light to moderate compression damping, and a heavy rebound damping, it gives an all around good ride without sacrificing on or offroad performance.

Tim

Reaction
what is a decently priced shock that is adjustable? and how much does it go for, about? thanks bro, tim

PBC_Tacoma_Kid

Reaction
Well see for a while im going to be delivering bbq sauce in buckets so ill be having lots of weight in there, I guess I could get a trailer possibly which would minimize the weight on the springs. What is your opinion on going under the bed with the shocks? Also if I ran stock springs for a while would the spring rate be so wrong that the perfomance would be highly limited with just good shocks? My problem is for now I want to keep my truck pretty practical for a few years since its not even 2 years old yet, In the future I may go crazy but If I run a longtravel kit and some rear setup I think it will still be a very practical truck but can still shred the dezert decent enough. I just have to save my money and decide what im going to do. Eventually a tacoma pack or 62s will go on but not yet.

drtdevil93

Reaction
the stock spring is decent. the main thing is there is no arc in it, so there is not enough shackle movement, meaning marginal ride quality. and a spring like that shouldnt be going way negative like that. but for the time being, i dont see a problem with the stock spring and an upgraded shock.

erik

Tom_Willis

Reaction
Screw the edjumacation, drop out of college, and go for the 4" King Kongs. Live in your garage, (I do), shower in the gym,
and eat day-old donuts. That is the path to off-road happiness.

Tim

Reaction
thats what I be trieyin to splain to me lady!! but she don get it! dang

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Tom, I am sure you know this by know but I was reading the newspaper yesterday and saw some crappy news (what's new for the news). I saw an article about a guy named Tom Willis. I am pretty sure it wasn't you because this did some pretty sad things and is no longer alive. Just wondering if you saw your name on the news!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Tom_Willis

Reaction
Am I dead? Oh. Ok. That explains a lot of things. I walked by a mirror and didn't have a reflection! I guess that means I'm UnDead. Cool. The undead don't need auto insurance, do we?......... Sheryl, don't bother with my taxes this year. I'm dead. I called the DMV, they said I can get a special parking placard, too. It's blue with a little picture of a coffin in white. Oh, and I should change my answering machine to say "I can't come to the phone ever again, I'm dead". BTW, does anybody need anything from the great beyond?