• Forum membership has its advantages....

Help, really concerned about fabrication and axle angles

RaceTec Pistons

****, now that I am looking more at the pictures it doesn't look like the torsion housing is tied into anything other than the horns and engine cage? Shouldn't there be something more structural inside that ties to the torsion housing?

Attachments

RaceTec Pistons

Jake was super cool and actually answered a couple questions for me but is unfortunately too busy to take a heap like this on. So still looking for recommendations on someone that might be able to help me. I think new rear arms, new rear cage, etc... Jake was also nice enough to inform me on using the stock pan verses VIN to build and keep it street legal, I was misinformed on that also...

RaceTec Pistons

I wasn't going to post who the builder was but I also don't want people assuming it was the wrong people!
It wasn't McNeil, it was John Moseley of Mosebilt...

michael.gonzalez

He is an experienced fabricator but I think his forte is crawlers and IFS 4x4 stuff but I may be wrong.
He makes some neat stuff for sure but he may have been out of his usual realm with this bug build.

Just my 2c. Not defending him but explains the mix of good and bad fabrication.

RaceTec Pistons

The front suspension was done by Nichols Fabrication and the rear arms were done by Dave Brown. I had the pan, front and rear arms, when John was recommended. The entire rest of the car fabrication, wiring, and assembly was done by Moseley... He knew what the plan was, what engine, what transmission, everything...

To many different cooks with different ideas can cause a total clusterfuuk. The LS engine, 5speed, fiberglass body pan, total clusterfuuk from the get go no matter who tried to assemble the whole mess. And in general anyone that spot welds everything is clueless.

RaceTec Pistons

To many different cooks with different ideas can cause a total clusterfuuk. The LS engine, 5speed, fiberglass body pan, total clusterfuuk from the get go no matter who tried to assemble the whole mess. And in general anyone that spot welds everything is clueless.
It was only one cook, I am confused, the guy who built it had complete complete decision making on the design? If he wanted to cut out the pan or build the cage anyway he wanted he could? What is the problem with an LS and a 5 speed? So you wouldn't build anything like this to start, what would you have done? It is a street car to play with in the dirt, not meant for competition?

jon coleman

buy a nice buggy already done, add your tunnel( forgot minimum amount around bug Vin number, after welded in, you got your street leagal class one jimco

Rear arms were done by someone else. They set the cv location where it's at and you can only move the trans so far forward. He had nothing to do with that cockup. The whole mess from design to quality of work is a clusterfuuk. Sorry.

RaceTec Pistons

Oh ok, I got ya... No worries or need to apologize, I appreciate your being blunt. I just need to know how to move forward. I thought that the rear arms were a standard length, 5X5 seemed pretty normal to me... He could have just told me that he needed to build new arms to make the project work. Or could have cut the chassis or body out as needed, there were no constraints. I would have actually prefered the engine and trans moved as far forward as possible. **** at this point it looks like just redo the entire rear of the car???