Help the Ocotillo Wells VOLUNTEER Fire Department

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Reaction
Your help is needed to save the emergency services provided by the local volunteers who serve at the Ocotillo Wells Volunteer Fire Department.

Please link to www.owvfd.org today and help save this locally run organization!

Please pass this along to all your off road buddies!

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Email sent!!!

djhspawn

Reaction
"Did you know that these so called "volunteers" don't even get paid?" -Homer Simpson

e-mail sent. Thanks for the notice.

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Reaction
You guys rock!!! Its easy as an email... no stamp, just a couple minutes of time :D Thanks to everyone thats helping out!!

steviegnsc

Reaction
All joking aside these guys are usually the first one to get to you no matter where you are if your riding in Ocotillo or the surrounding areas like Plaster City/Superstition Mountain area. I have seen first hand "several" times where the Ambulance out of Brawley gets to the end of split mountain road and does laps trying to find a way in there. With these guys it's "Where are you?....How far past the mine?.......OK, are you beyond the trestles?:cool: Get it?

Volunteers who do this stuff out there have a set of skills that your standard EMT or any other first responder, a physical should not dictate whether or not they can do there jobs. Having these guys be aware of Monuments and routes to get to you as quickly as possible and they know the smoothest lines to get you out when your busted up. With someone with a bad break you want someone who is going to avoid the rough stuff:eek:. Sometime seven to ten minutes may be all you have:confused:;)

If you ride down there and take five minutes to watch the video and email the Board of directors (direct it to one, CC all of them) and let them know that even though you don't live in SDC you frequent the area several times due to the fact that the is a service that OWVFD provides. All they need to do in alter the verbiage in the documents (I know, it's sounded easy to me too:D)

OH ya, and they have a cheap and easy Pancake breakfast ever month:D

DEZDAD1

Reaction
I've been going out there for 40 years and have a place out there ..I know all those guys and
it would be a shame if they were not there. I have helped them get to places that most trucks
would have got stuck..And they know the desert out there inside and out ..

JoeyD23

Reaction
Posting this on UTVUnderground.com....we all need to help here!!!!

steviegnsc

Reaction
Here, a little something for you cop and pasters:D Feel free to add your own!

I am writing with my concerns over the purposed changes to the breadth and scope of service the Ocotillo Wells Volunteer Fire Department (OWVFD) will be able to provide.

I am concerned for the safety of myself, my family, my friends and all the other Californians that enjoy the Ocotillo Wells Desert Valley.

My key concern is the replacement of seasoned veterans that are familiar and aware of all the areas and terrain throughout the Ocotillo Wells Desert Valley. The purposed replacements will not only be less experience with the area and terrain, but they will cost significantly more to employ than a Volunteer Fire Department.

The OWVFD (Ocotillo Wells Volunteer Fire Department) has provided emergency service to visitors for many years. They are a necessary department that has become a key role in maintaining a level of safety and comfort to the the millions of annual visitors to this wonderful valley.

Please consider the safety of your fellow Californians. The speed of response a Veteran to the area can provide is irreplaceable. It can literally be the difference of Life or Death.

Thank you for your consideration and attention.

Sincerely,

Consolidate list of Contacts, enter all of them in the bcc: filed and send to each with one message.

cao_mail@sdcounty.ca.gov, dianne.jacob@sdcounty.ca.gov, greg.cox@sdcounty.ca.gov, Pam.Slater@sdcounty.ca.gov, Ron-Roberts@Sdcounty.Ca.Gov, bill.horn@sdcounty.ca.gov, dplu@sdcounty.ca.gov

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Reaction
I got a response this afternoon!

Dear Ms. Carpenter,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate that you have contacted my office in regard to this issue.

I am forwarding your correspondence to our Department of Planning and Land Use for review. You should receive a response within the next three weeks regarding your concerns. I have requested that his office respond directly to you, as well as provide our office with a copy of the written response.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on the matter. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call my office at (619) 531-5555.

Sincerely,

Bill Horn
County of San Diego
Supervisor, 5th District

I will keep you posted with what I get forwarded over the next couple weeks!!

TutTech

Reaction
Oh man I really like the copy paste. I added in my own intro about being an actual user of Ocotillo Wells and then put in your nicely worded letter. Thank you.

My email went to all of them with the bcc. Very easy and off it went.

I really do hope it helps the volunteers as in return it really will help all of us when we need there help.

jessespenc

Reaction
here is a copy of a response that i recived

Good Afternoon,

This letter is in response to your interest about a controversy involving some volunteer fire agencies that have threatened to opt out of our County Fire Authority because they don’t want to take routine medical tests.

Please be assured, we value our volunteer firefighters and hope they sign new contracts. However, if they do not, it will not affect fire protection in your community. The County plans to use other fire agencies we work with to fill in and protect our backcountry areas.

Having said that, the County believes the angst over these medical checks is unnecessary.

When the County Board of Supervisors voted a year ago to create our County Fire Authority, they did so with one intention: to improve fire protection in the region.

A key part of that improvement was to require all County fire Authority firefighters to undergo routine medical and background checks to ensure they were physically and ethically fit to protect the public. This is about keeping people safe, both firefighters and the public they serve. We told volunteers about the physicals more than a year ago. The exams are not excessive. Cal Fire, the City of San Diego and the San Miguel Fire Protection District all use similar exams. The overwhelming majority of volunteer firefighters are passing these physicals. To date, the County has completed roughly 200 medical exams on volunteers. Less than a handful of volunteers have failed. In addition, the County has offered administrative-only positions to some volunteer firefighters who have physical limitations but who also offer special experience and backgrounds.

And the County Fire Authority is working. It has already increased the ranks of volunteer firefighters: there are more working in our backcountry now than there were a year ago. It has also provided stipends to help volunteers support themselves and millions of dollars of equipment and training.

We applaud and value all volunteer firefighters. They are selfless individuals who give up their time and put themselves at risk to help others. That was exactly why we have worked so hard to keep our backcountry volunteers in the Fire Authority.

But, to improve fire protection for our citizens and communities, we must ensure that our personnel are fit to perform the task. To not do this could endanger not only their lives, but also the lives of the people they are committed to protect.

Gig Conaughton

Public Affairs Officer

Department of Planning and Land Use

County of San Diego

(858) 495-5481

gig.conaughton@sdcounty.ca.gov

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Reaction
here is a copy of a response that i recived

Good Afternoon,

This letter is in response to your interest about a controversy involving some volunteer fire agencies that have threatened to opt out of our County Fire Authority because they don’t want to take routine medical tests.

Please be assured, we value our volunteer firefighters and hope they sign new contracts. However, if they do not, it will not affect fire protection in your community. The County plans to use other fire agencies we work with to fill in and protect our backcountry areas.

Having said that, the County believes the angst over these medical checks is unnecessary.

When the County Board of Supervisors voted a year ago to create our County Fire Authority, they did so with one intention: to improve fire protection in the region.

A key part of that improvement was to require all County fire Authority firefighters to undergo routine medical and background checks to ensure they were physically and ethically fit to protect the public. This is about keeping people safe, both firefighters and the public they serve. We told volunteers about the physicals more than a year ago. The exams are not excessive. Cal Fire, the City of San Diego and the San Miguel Fire Protection District all use similar exams. The overwhelming majority of volunteer firefighters are passing these physicals. To date, the County has completed roughly 200 medical exams on volunteers. Less than a handful of volunteers have failed. In addition, the County has offered administrative-only positions to some volunteer firefighters who have physical limitations but who also offer special experience and backgrounds.

And the County Fire Authority is working. It has already increased the ranks of volunteer firefighters: there are more working in our backcountry now than there were a year ago. It has also provided stipends to help volunteers support themselves and millions of dollars of equipment and training.

We applaud and value all volunteer firefighters. They are selfless individuals who give up their time and put themselves at risk to help others. That was exactly why we have worked so hard to keep our backcountry volunteers in the Fire Authority.

But, to improve fire protection for our citizens and communities, we must ensure that our personnel are fit to perform the task. To not do this could endanger not only their lives, but also the lives of the people they are committed to protect.

Gig Conaughton

Public Affairs Officer

County of San Diego

(858) 495-5481

I just received the same letter... you beat me to it ;) :D

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Here is the reply I received today.
Good Afternoon,
**BAN ME**
**BAN ME**
**BAN ME**
**BAN ME**
**BAN ME**
Gig Conaughton
Public Affairs Officer
County of San Diego
(858) 495-5481
**BAN ME**