• Forum membership has its advantages....

Help, total loss prerunner, insurance value

JimmyV

Hola RDC, I need help with an insurance settlement on a truck deemed 'Total Loss'.

I'm looking for an independent appraiser or other advice you can offer.

I am the not-at-fault driver, and so far my insurance has deemed the vehicle a total loss based on book value.

The vehicle is a 2wd 1996 Toyota T100, with a mild simple build: front and rear suspension, fox shocks, prp seats, most work completed by Solo Motorsports. Truck also has a smog referee legal 4.7 v8 tundra drivetrain. I have receipts for much, but not all of the work - I've owned the truck 18 years.

Damage is honestly not that bad and there is NO FRAME DAMAGE. I would prefer the vehicle repaired, but a salvage buy-back may be the likely outcome.

My insurance is AAA, at-fault driver is 21st Century.

Cheers,
James

Pre accident pics attached.

Attachments

Offspring

That sucks for sure. I'd tell your insurance company thanks, but I'd deal directly with the other drivers insurance. Both companies will try to get out of this as cheaply as possible and all the things you mention will help in your favor but to what degree is yet to be determined. If I had a vehicle like this that was heavily modified I'd insure it on an agreed upon value instead of the lower cost run of the mill 1996 T100 truck. You've started along the right path getting all of your stuff in order use it with 21st Century. Good luck with it! I agree the salvage may be the way to go but then the title is stuck as such. If you go this route I'd document damage then the fix with a ton of photos if/when you were to ever try to sell it

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
You do not have to accept a salvage title.

You only have to accept a check.

Good luck!

JimmyV

You do not have to accept a salvage title.

You only have to accept a check.

Good luck!
Interesting, how does this work? They compensate you for a total loss but do not issue

At this time I'm getting an offer from my company AAA - I will likely go thought the same process with the at-fault drivers company next (I'm awaiting the final CHP report to press the issue with 21 Century - I think there might be reference to the at-fault driver having been drinking - though not booked).

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
I had three estimates stating the repair cost exceeded the value of the vehicle.

I asked the other party's insurance for, and received, the value of the vehicle without relinquishing title. I did this before any property damage or personal liability waivers were signed.

I found the parts used and nearby, paid a kid up the street to install 'em and made the repair for 25% of the value.

Made a similar settlement on a damaged motorcycle, only I supplied the labor.

I didn't bother going through my insurance, as in both cases I did not carry collision coverage nor would have wanted to pay a deductible.

Offspring

I didn't bother going through my insurance, as in both cases I did not carry collision coverage nor would have wanted to pay a deductible.
In a case like yours, not at fault, this is the only way to handle it. The only situation where I would use my own would be if the other party was uninsured - and if you had uninsured/underinsured coverage. Your insurance isn't really interested in your predicament in this case. The other company however does want to make you happy (go away) so they will be more flexible - if this person has adequate coverage that is.