Help with vw motor refresher

WannaB-class5

Reaction
My car will be on jack stands for a while so I figured it would be nice to have the motor looked at. That said, what should I have them "look at"? It's a prefessionally built full flow 1914 that has given me zero problems in two years (three races and many fun trips, and some daily driving).

Is there a standard VW list of things a knowledgable mechanic that knows the off-road world would look at? Should I simply have someone tear it down and look for problems? Is there any reason to do this if I don't plan on any upgrades/repairs (valve job, new heads, actual rebuild or new pistons)? I am very new to having someone look at my engine. In the past I simply rebuilt my motors when I blew them up or couldn't diagnose a problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry I can't ask a more specific question.

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Do a compression test followed by a leak down test. These two simple tests will give you a good idea of the condition of your engine. Google is your friend if you haven't done this kind of test before.

WannaB-class5

Reaction
You are right, google was my friend. Now, anyone in the south bay do this? If all goes well, would putting the car on the dyno help? How much is dyno time? THANKS!

Reaction
Don't assume you need the motor gone through. If you have adjusted the valves and changed the oil you may not need to refresh. Start with a leak down test this will give you the info to the condition of the valve job and rings. Cut apart the oil filter and look for signs of bearing problems. If the motor was running fine, maybe a simple tune up will be good enough and save you some money. Usually our full tilt 1600 and 12 motors go around 1000 to 1500 hard race miles before they need to be gone through completely.If abused by driver, bad fuel ,a lean jet, or a dirty air filter, it may need a top end after 500 miles. If your motor is milder with lower compression you might get a lot more. Hope his helps all who reads.

WannaB-class5

Reaction
That helps a lot. I doubt I have more than 500 miles on the motor. Valves were adjusted and oil was changed after every trip or race. Sounds like I need to do a leak down and compression test and if all is well some new plugs and wires and call it a day. Thanks.

clogking

Reaction
If you do take it apart have the crank crack checked,New bearings, rod, main and cam. Always do a valve job. Then you might as well R&R pistons and cylinders while you are in there. Then you are good to go.
Thats what I do every race. Can you afford all the entry fees and other cost and not do the motor?
This racing crap costs to much
$$,$$$.$$

:eek::eek::eek:

:)

Zac Reish

Reaction
Is there any reason why you would assume you need the motor gone through. If you have only ran the motor for 500 miles you definately don't need to change the wires. What's going on with your motor. And before you rebuild it I think we need to have a drag race. if my 4 year old 1835 beats your 1914 you might need to freshen that beast.

WannaB-class5

Reaction
I already have new wires (these will become spares) and no the motor feels great. I just figured since I have time I would see what everyone thinks I should do. I have never had enough money to even contemplate preventative maint. until this car...so I thought I would ask.

Drag race sounds good now that I have your old transmission going in. As soon as the car is up and running its on!

Zac Reish

Reaction
hell ya, but take it easy I would hate to see you blow it up droppin the clutch. I can't say i ever did that with that transmission but I would consider my self easy on trannies.

WannaB-class5

Reaction
I raced three races with a stock, 35 year old type 1 transmission. I'd say I am pretty easy on them as well! As much as anything I need the added strength for my paddles in glamis. I race like a grandma right now.