• Forum membership has its advantages....

Herbie. 68 Jeep Cammando.

TROPHYSEDAN

View attachment 184534
0922171159b.jpg
HERBIE is back home in Calif.
Herbie started life as 68 Cammando. All fiberglass body. Kaiser Jeep.
Built by Brian Chuchua.
Was raced by Tom Barnet. Rock Bradford. Eric Hieden.
Any info please add.
Will add the pick up story and more as we go.

Gadzooks2

This looks like the first race with the new owner at the time Janet Hickey. I got in with her to start the Mint and she drove the first 10 miles or so but was scared sh^tless. She was white knuckling it so bad she hit every rock and hole in the desert and just couldn't calm down. It can be pretty overwhelming to some...We switched and I wheeled the car around till we got close to the end of the lap and we switched back so she could bring it in. She was happy but still shaking. That was a really fun car to drive. I'll have to share the alternator story with you sometime Dennis. Congratulations on the find! Mark.
406-01.jpg

toddz

I'm guessing Mark is/was related to Eric (the off road racer, not the skater). Maybe Gadzooks2 is Eric? Just re-read the feature on their Scrambler again a few weeks ago.

Todd Z.

TROPHYSEDAN

Rock gave me Helmet. goggles. Bandanna. Suit. A Mint 400 jacket. a hat. Him and Will are going to send me Pics and there history of Herbie. Thank you Rock and Will.
Mark is Erics
Screenshot_2017-09-26-21-01-47.png
0926172204.jpg
brother. They both have been around Herbie alot.

Gadzooks2

Eric Heiden (the racer not skater) is my brother. He doesn't really post..(Too cool ;))

Hey Dennis, Where you able to use any of those Quadra-trac parts on the Water Boy truck?

Rearengjeep

Dennis,

Dad could not be happier meeting you, Aaron, and your sister. He would like to talk to you, so i will be messaging you his number (i think he wrote yours down wrong.) He is very happy that Herbie is in your family, and really, ours too. Thanks again for spending time with Dad and Mom. I will be going down to see him this weekend. I will ship you a package of goodies that you should receive in about 2 weeks.

Cheers.

Doc.

Rearengjeep

To reply to some of the above postings, Eric Heiden worked on Herbie a bit. I know Eric never rode in it, and never drove Herbie. When we had Gadzooks, Eric was around a lot more and he eventually bought it. My father unfortunatly wasn't the nicest guy at the time, but Eric hung in there hand helped my dad prep some rides

Bryan Racing

To reply to some of the above postings, Eric Heiden worked on Herbie a bit. I know Eric never rode in it, and never drove Herbie. When we had Gadzooks, Eric was around a lot more and he eventually bought it. My father unfortunatly wasn't the nicest guy at the time, but Eric hung in there hand helped my dad prep some rides
Tell Rock David Bryan says hello.Back in the mid 80's of my jeep days he introduced my dad and I to Bob @ Armstrong, turned into a multi year deal.Speaking of jeeps,my back is starting to hurt.

Bryan Racing

Hey David! Will do! I remember you when I was just a little kid. Dad's doing pretty well.
Good to hear he's hanging in there.Oct.5th 7 years ago my father passed. BTW. The pic of the yellow Chuchua Holy Toledo , was Brian's personal race jeep for a few years.George Elliot drove some while Brian rode but I do remember being at the 70 Baja 500,Chuchua drove it and Bob Thomas from LA times sports rode. Dick Dahn drove a Chuchua jeep (dennis posted a pic) and my dad drove a Chuchua jeep #197 with Brian's Dad ( Mike) riding.Brian drove the Holy Toledo home from the race because dad and I helped put the windshield on in the parking lot of the colon motel then we caravaned to San ysidro and had lunch at the bali hi.That was 47 years ago.wow how time flies when your having fun.

Rearengjeep

Hey David, I'm so sorry for your loss and my confusion. Your dad was always very kind to me. Wow you have a ton of info on Brian's jeeps. My dad is 80 now, and his memory of holy toledo was only Brian's dragster. It was great times in the mid 80's with all of us in a group. Miss the good old days. I am very happy Dennis has Herbie, and I know he has your Dad's cj6 now as well.

Bryan Racing

Hey David, I'm so sorry for your loss and my confusion. Your dad was always very kind to me. Wow you have a ton of info on Brian's jeeps. My dad is 80 now, and his memory of holy toledo was only Brian's dragster. It was great times in the mid 80's with all of us in a group. Miss the good old days. I am very happy Dennis has Herbie, and I know he has your Dad's cj6 now as well.
I have pictures somewhere of the Holy Toledo funny car.I believe the guys name was Ed Lenarth.The CJ-6 Dennis has is the one I built in the early 80's,dad helped a little bit.I have a ton of memories involving Brian Chuchua and the guys that drove for him.My dad and him were friends since the day I was born.They partnered starting in 1964 to put on the river bottom races.I can still remember being on jeep trips with him when I was 5 then I end up driving for him starting in 1978.We communicate periodicaly on facebook.

TROPHYSEDAN

Ok. I have a jeep problem. No.
Keep them story's coming in. This is the past. We need more storys. Pics of the past. The Pioneers of our sport.
0922171159.jpg
Screenshot_2017-05-08-22-43-17-1.png
0306171327-1-1.jpg

brad inch

I have pictures somewhere of the Holy Toledo funny car.I believe the guys name was Ed Lenarth.The CJ-6 Dennis has is the one I built in the early 80's,dad helped a little bit.I have a ton of memories involving Brian Chuchua and the guys that drove for him.My dad and him were friends since the day I was born.They partnered starting in 1964 to put on the river bottom races.I can still remember being on jeep trips with him when I was 5 then I end up driving for him starting in 1978.We communicate periodicaly on facebook.
the guy is still racing that holly toledo funny car,i saw it at famoso raceway.

TROPHYSEDAN

I just seen a thing about it. The O G. Holy Toledo. Drag car. They even built a new replica of it. .

Gadzooks2

Eric did drive Herbie quite a bit when Janet owned it and he rode with Rocky a couple times as well. One most memorable run for me was riding with Eric in the 500 and as night was coming on the lights and battery started to die. We got out and discovered the alternator was not turning, the belt was just slipping on it cause the bearing was kaput. Not wanting to shut it off and risk not being able to re-start I took a large craftsman screwdriver and while it was running spun the fins on the alternator and it took off! Cool. Got back in belted up and we were runnin'. A mile or so later, same thing. I get out lift hood, yell "Contact", spin the blades again, get back in, belt up, rinse repeat every few miles or so the rest of the way to the next pit. Eric being Eric doesn't want to wait for me to belt up before putting us back into paint shaker mode so by the time I climbed out of the car, I stepped down and was right on my ass. Even at that tender age and fitness level my legs were like rubber and I felt like I had just gone 5 rounds with Joe Frazier.

docramo

Lots of great stories and memories from the early Jeepin days. Not sure if Dennis knows that prior to the Waterboy truck there was a Baja Bug (5-1600) that Paul Price and Lou Howard raced. I rode with Lou in the 79 Baja 500 and split the fuel cell at Nuevo Junction....race over. Many days pre running with Rock, the Heidens,Price, and Price and Tom and John ,Dick Dahn. Boy it makes my kidney's hurt thinking about all those miles......PRICELESS !!

TROPHYSEDAN

Here is Ralph Prices Cammando. Its a twin to ours.
Anyone know where this Cammando is.
IMG950767.jpg

TROPHYSEDAN

I think im in love.
Here is another Commando. Rodney Inch. Rock Bradford owned. With the Water boy scheme.
Screenshot_2017-09-30-10-28-04-1.png