• Forum membership has its advantages....

Herbst Helo?

mgobaja

My understanding is that the helo was used to their advantage ( Herbsts ). I was told be 2 different drivers that they cleared the truggy to pass in very heavy dust at least twice. The 1st time they figured that is was just a luck thing but when it happened again the knew what was going on. It's great that they have the money to fund their opperation and support their effort the way that they do and they also do put a lot of money into the sport. They have even flown out injured racers. But when does it become cheating ? Last time I looked in the rule book, flying in parts or relaying course info to the vehicle was not allowed.

Dave_G

Your crop dusting friend is still shut down per NOTAM until sometime Sept 24th. The FAA allowed crop dusting flights for the period of about a day until they found crop dusting flight training materials in one of the terorists cars. The FAA rescinded the order and they are still grounded.

hammer

You are 100% correct mgobaja. Somebody needs to do something about helos flying in parts and directing race cars on the track. (SAL FISH) sould be the one to do something.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by hammer on 09/23/01 04:20 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Jimmy8

SCORE is the only one left that lets them use a chopper, everyone else prohibits it, even BITD

mgobaja

If it is only Sal that allows them to use a chopper then he needs to grow a sac and put his foot down. It's great that they do help injured people, but it's a shame that they cheat with the chopper just as often.

frankh

That is just one problem. This was a no chase race, but do you know how many truck/buggies that were broke out there but somehow still finished and nothing happened to them. So I do not that think that anything will happen with the chopper.

mgobaja

It's an issue at all of the races though. This wasnt the 1st time parts have been dropped or course info has been passed along.

Jimmy8

I really dont have a problem with a chopper. I mean, if I had that much money I would personally use it, and well, its not cheating until you get caught right? I mean I guess that sounds kind of bad, but I think if it helped out that much other teams running the unlimited classes would probably use them. I will be racing trophy truck in a few years, and I wont use one, but really dont have a problem with it if others do. Those classes are so competitive anyway, if you are broke down long enough where a chopper has to drop you parts chances are you are not going to win anyways.

scott

SCORE doesn't only let Herbst use a Helo and thats it.... Collins has one, PPI had one when they run the 500 & the 1000, plus Robby Gordon ran one in the 1000. Also Riviera, uses one, including the one that Nick Baldwin was in @ Primm. So whoever has the $$$$ to do it can go for it...

mgobaja

I acknowledge that others use them too, but the Herbst one is the cause of more contreversy and complaint than any of the others.

nobrakes

it just goes to show. he who has the gold,makes the rules (in score races anyway)the herbst can't race w/out a helo.if TSCO had a chase chopper they probably would of be notifyed of the slow moving class 9 car and avoided it. i just wonder if the herbst helo will be at v-2r ? i'll be lookin for it.the herbst have a natural talent(i think) lets see if they can use it wout using the helo and use there other resources.........step up and build a legal class one.(under 3500#)to race against the other talents in class one that don't have the resources they have.i bet they get wooped??????thats my opoin,i'm out........

Jimmy8

I doubt the chopper will be at v to r because BITD doesnt allow them. As far as a legal class 1 goes, they had one before the truggy and still won a lot of races. Guys like TSCO, Sourapas, wilson, fortin, ect still run with the herbst regardless, and now they have pro dirt, so I dont think they are complaining to much.

Junior

The Herbst do have a legal class one. It is commonly referred to as the Truggy. Ever heard of it? Is there a weight limit in SCORE class 1? Why all the talk of being under 3500 lbs? Must be Truggy weighs over 3500 lbs? I bet if Truggy weighed 3450 lbs all the sudden the number would be 3300? Sac up bro! The Herbst team is loaded with talent and dollars. If one of you guys can prove that Herbst cheated, do something about it. If not, why talk smack?

Junior
EJR Racing #244

Jimmy8

I dont care what anyone says, the Herbst have done so much for the sport. They continually pour money in to it, and if all they ask in return is to use a helicopter then so be it. I mean look at the midnight special this year, it was a huge event for SNORE, and would have never been happened like that if it were not for the herbst. I bet even more people run it next year. Look at the Terribles Town 250. The richest race in desert racing. Why do you think it is so rich, 2 reasons, Ford and the Herbst. The race is an instant classic. That race may be the next Mint 400 whether people like it or not. Look at the entries it brought out. 10 Trophys, 20 some class 1's, over 10 8's, over 10 PT's, I think around 10 class 10's, over 10 7's, 10 7 stocks, 10 stock fulls and the list goes on. Now you are all going to say that not that many buggies, but BITD doesnt cater to buggies, and they broke their buggie entry records in every open wheel class. 1,10,5,1/2 1600. Yes their were even a few 1600's their. This goes back to my original point. It was all because of the herbst so let them use the helicopter already.

scott

Oh I hear ya, I've heard all about the CRB catching them dumping parts out of it to the crews on the ground.