• Forum membership has its advantages....

Herbst/Smith fab SPEC TT/6100

CRAIG_HALL

This is an all new truck being built for a customer of the Herbst, This will be using a Toyota engine. Fabrication is being done by John Tondro (JT) and Jason Montes, most of the shop pics I've stolen from them. Fairly simple and straightforward typical truck.
TSR Watermark - 111.jpg
TSR Watermark - 112.jpg

TSR Watermark - 108.jpg
TSR Watermark - 109.jpg
TSR Watermark - 110.jpg
TSR Watermark - 109.jpg
TSR Watermark - 113.jpg
TSR Watermark - 114.jpg
TSR Watermark - 115.jpg
TSR Watermark - 116.jpg

TSR Watermark - 117.jpg
TSR Watermark - 118.jpg
TSR Watermark - 119.jpg

Bajated

Looking Good boys! Craig cranked out this design in record time. JT and Jason also built the Stock Full Tundra we raced in the Baja 1000 last year, they are true artists. Long Beach Racers is doing the engine for this vehicle as well as our own 6100 Truck, which due to time and budget constraints is coming along a little more slowly. Here's a picture of the engine running on Nogrady's dyno last week.

Scott_F

Another beautiful design by Craig Hall and a beautiful construction by Mike Smith and company.

Who laser cut the tubes?

CRAIG_HALL

Another beautiful design by Craig Hall and a beautiful construction by Mike Smith and company.

Who laser cut the tubes?
I had everything cut by R&I except the bent tubes, I had Tim at CRD do those.

sirhk100

Craig, do you do all the fixture/jig design work for the chassis also while doing your cad work typically or is that usually up to the customer to knock out on their own?

LOL, and no I have zero interest in getting into this end of the working world... Just pure curiosity and nothing more.

Scott_F

The blue tape shows how far back to sand the tubes when you chuck it in the lathe, right? How did they determine where to place the blue tape? Were the tubes etched with a line, or was it just a measurement?

CRAIG_HALL

Craig, do you do all the fixture/jig design work for the chassis also while doing your cad work typically or is that usually up to the customer to knock out on their own?

LOL, and no I have zero interest in getting into this end of the working world... Just pure curiosity and nothing more.
Yeah, I typically do all the fixturing as well. YOu can see some in the pics posted. This was a bit more budget friendly type of fixturing compared to the stuff they had done on their own TT's Derek designed.

The blue tape shows how far back to sand the tubes when you chuck it in the lathe, right? How did they determine where to place the blue tape? Were the tubes etched with a line, or was it just a measurement? They just eyeballed a certain length to clean the scale off of. The only etching I've done is for 3/16" tall 2 digit part #'s

They just eyeballed a certain length to clean the scale off of. The only etching I've done is for 3/16" tall 2 digit part #'s

sirhk100

Yeah, I typically do all the fixturing as well. YOu can see some in the pics posted. This was a bit more budget friendly type of fixturing compared to the stuff they had done on their own TT's Derek designed.
That's what I was assuming, just was curious. Very cool stuff!