Herbst testing after the race?

mattrick8888

Reaction
i just got off the phone with my dad who works in the motion picture industry. He told me there was a race team out testing by them today in vegas, and asked me if knew of the Terrible Herbst, haha. I guess they were hauling ass past the production company somwhere on a dry lake bed near vegas and ruined a shot or two i think and got the cameras all dusty. No one was mad or anything and i guess they asked the producer if they were interfering with anything and of course he said ya, lol, so they moved down a mile or so.

dont know what that story has to do with but i thought it was pretty cool when my dad told me how insane it was to see a throphy truck haul ass past you doing over 100 and feel the motor pulsate through the ground and see the chopper overhead, etc. i think he understands why i love this sport so much now.

but my question is, why would they be testing after the race?

KitRacer

Reaction
My dad gave me the same story, said he saw them on the way home from Vegas. I cant remember what day he said he saw them, they could have had some remote pit for the race????

At baseball games they play organs, in motorsports they donate them.

toyotaguy

Reaction
what is the point to the 39? isn't the 37 big enough.......don't even day to gain more height

looking for info on quality tacoma long travel.....any ideas?

michael_loomis

Reaction
wont be long till 44" tires are cooler than we all thought ........

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
The Herbsts were probably testing at the Jean dry lake bed, its basically the Primm race course, they shoot alot of movies there, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is just one. I have talked to the rancher that owns that land, and he said the Herbsts pay to test out there, but kill his cattle in the process. The cattle are a special breed and are used for rodeos, $16,000 a head. I usually go off-roading there and we test our race truck there, I have almost run into the heard of cattle.

LVprerunners.com

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
I overheard Mike Smith, more like eavsdropped, but what ever, he was talking to the BFG guys from like italy explaining what he wanted in a tire, the tread was doing good but he wanted more side wall protection and a bigger bead, as well as they are going to double bead lock the tires soon. And from the looks of it the 2wd is running the 6 speed now the shifter is the same as the 4wd. As we were spectating along the 160 near pharump the truggy went past us in a wash out then down the way missed a gear and stalled it out, so must have been the 6, how do you stall an auto.

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
That stall you heard was indeed because of the computer system on the transmission, it went into a false nuetral and they had to pull a fuse and reboot the computer system for the transmission and it got going again right away.

The Score legal limit for tires is either 39" or 40" so I dont think we will see 44's.

The bigger tire should provide a little more clearance between the inner liner and the tread patch of the tire giving more cushion and absorbing more, also the more tire you lay on the ground hopefully the less wear and tear also they are hoping that a little bit bigger tire will not spin on the wheel, I would guess that is why they are gonna double lock them also.

I love technology.

martininsocal

Reaction
John- yes, 40"s is the max. My question is this? How much more will they weigh? Who is going to be able to change one out on the course(let alone lift it off the carrier)? What other parts will break with the increased rotating mass? How big is THAT ring and pinion gonna be? etc... If they are spinning tires on the rim, something isn't right. More air pressure? 3000hp top fuel cars don't spin tires on the rims(they sure do on teh ground)!

If your gonna go, go BIG

Junior

Reaction
I heard a gqy on NHRA today say that they almost never break Ring and Pinions any more. Even with the huge horses those top fuelers run they get 50 to 100 runs on a R&P set. I think they are 12".

Junior
EJR Racing Trophy Truck #44
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ejrracing.com>http://www.ejrracing.com</A>

bajaboy

Reaction
Does anyone know who designed the outer body(fiberglass?/kevlar?/carbon fiber?) of the trophy truck ? Its not as Ford looking as everybody elses , especially that steep drop where the windshield is suppose to be , Is that just for visibility or some other reason ?

Bajaboy

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Originally the truck was suppose to be an F-250, not an F-150 and that is way it looks so different from all the other Fords race trucks. For whatever reason, it is now referred to as an F1. Maybe Tony can tell us more.

Until you try, you don't know what you can't do.

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
Eric-

Travis is right. The truck started life as an F250, but somewhere along the line, lost the grille work of the 250, and began looking more like an F1's nose. However, now that the '04 F150 redesign is out, it really does resemble that version overall. The grille opening might need still to be massaged a little.

As for the designer's/producers of the body - Mike Smith worked closely with Mike McQueen and Bruce Horton at McQueen Prototype Design, Inc. in Hermosa Beach, CA. The "greenhouse" area of the body was designed for maximum flow-through, and that's why the windshield opening is rounded, and the side window openings are so broad and flat. Really pushing as much air to the radiators and coolers out back as possible.

Tony B.

"Get Creative!"

Gabe Lara

Reaction
I used to LOL every time they ran the Ford "4x4 Offroad" logo on the bedside, in front of the tailights... just like in the showroom!

-Gabe

Porterrace

Reaction
Martin, the reason a top fueler doesn't spin the tire on the rim, which actually they do, look close on a top fuel tire and you will see a white or yellow mark on the tire, they use this along with a video of every run to calculate wheel spin in relation to the ground and the rim both. Is because the tires are huge and soft and they flex. These trucks spin the wheels on the rims hard! This is the reason for so many flats in trophy truck. Damen had 4 this weekend. If something isn't right BFG and their engineers can,t figure it out. This is what the Herbst are currently testing. Damen and the Herbsts both had a new tire for this race and didn't seem to work too well.

martininsocal

Reaction
I know that many Drag guys screw their tires onto the rims. They run such low air pressures that you would think they would blow beads the way they roast those things! They have incredible sidewall flex which would lead me tothink that the bead has an easier chance of spinning on the rim. Counter to that, offroaders run beadlocks, high air pressures, the tires have tuff side walls and big beads, and for teh most part, the surfaces are loose and allow the tire to spin on its surface before it would spin on the rim. I can understand this being aproblem on rock(solid) surfaces, but not anywhere else. Are they getting flats by tearing teh tubes and inner liners in the rims? Or are they getting more punctures and tears with the higher speeds?

If your gonna go, go BIG

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Won't that problem be worse with a 39 inch tire? Has anyone tried using what the Humvee and other military wheels use? They have a big composite or magnesium cylinder shaped ring inside the tire that goes from bead to bead. That and the tire are slid onto either a two piece wheel or a single piece wheel with a ring like a bead lock. When tightened it clamps the whole assembly including both beads on the wheel. Some look like they are light enough to use for racing.

<font color=blue>"A Ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for"</font color=blue>