Here we go again

Grease Weed

Reaction
Tapeworm aluminum rims and disk on the rear, you could possibly lose up to 50 pounds of weight that the trans is trying to manage. I don’t know about you but on my car 998 I can lock up the rears pretty easily with the drums.

J BomBer

Reaction
Only way to make the cars almost dead even is one weight, and two seat / single seat restrictor plates, just like 1600, everyone sees how close they run.

tapeworm

Reaction
Tapeworm aluminum rims and disk on the rear, you could possibly lose up to 50 pounds of weight that the trans is trying to manage. I don’t know about you but on my car 998 I can lock up the rears pretty easily with the drums.

I can lock up all 4 no problem by smashing the pedal. I’m not against disc brakes, if there were to be a rule change I’d go buy a full set of fronts and rears today. I’m open to aluminum rims also since there is only a slight price difference between them and there is an abundance of used aluminum rims, but not steel 9 car rims.

I’m all for open trans, aluminum rims, and disc brakes.

Grease Weed

Reaction
For me, I love the class. It just needs since-able updating. When you spending money because of a nostalgia , it’s time to change that train of thought. The problem I have with it is the sourcing of OLD parts , that may, or may not be good, at STUPID prices, when you could buy new for the same or less. Anyway, my .002

J. Peel 916

Reaction
Agree with grease weed 100%. Nothing crazy just practical changes. We run a two seat to include more people. I feel a reasonable weight compensation is feasible. However, if it’s not and we become more competitive we’ll remove a seat.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I think Greaseweed is pretty close. One thing I would like to see different is allow aluminum rims and 16". Makes tire combos much easier. Run the same all around front and rear.

Grease Weed

Reaction
What have you guys got against 4 lug? Drums are only 20 a piece, And very strong. I would change only 1 or 2 a year....

For me, changing out all 16 of my wide 5 to 4 lug would be a lot of money. Might as well go aluminum. For what? To run more old drums. And what if you need a spare from someone in a remote pit? Guarantee I could find a wide 5 to borrow. 4 lug, good luck with that.

tapeworm

Reaction
Brand new BTR’s are $145 a wheel. Brand new custom and commercial wheels are $152. The only up side to a steel wheel at this point is you can beat it back into a somewhat round shape with a sledgehammer.

elmariachi

Reaction
...Drums are expensive but you can run them for at least a full season with the chromoly centers that are out there.

Where can said Chromoly Centers be sourced???

There was talk a while back about allowing them, but they were not readily available.

tapeworm

Reaction
I understand the the nostalgia and desire to keep the tradition of the class, but sometimes progression and new technology surpass the need to keep traditions alive. I’m dealing with this same type of thing in my current career field. The people that have been around refuse to change because it means they have to learn something new or they feel obsolete because they are no longer the best at their craft, but at this point in time some updating of the rules may actually increase entries in our class. Let’s take class 5 for example. Some people said that the idea of allowing a water cooled motor into that class was blasphemy, me being one of those people, but it has really increased the amount of entries that class has seen over the recent years. Sometimes rules changes don’t kill a class.

The people I’ve heard of that do the chromoly drums are Bill Shapley and Dave Folts. It’s been hard figuring out where to find all this information because it’s been being kept a secret it seems like and there just isn’t enough people buying these drums so they aren’t being advertised or mass produced.

Going 4 lug is great if you have enough people to pit for you, but you’ll have a hard time finding a 4 lug rim somewhere after you get one flat unless it’s your own pit so parts are less universal. Steel wheels used to make sense because they were way cheaper which isn’t the case anymore.

I feel like changes could be made to increase car counts for an entire season rather than just 3-4 races a year. If not then let’s get a coalition going so we can all try to show up at the same races every year and race for some actual prize money.

Grease Weed

Reaction
Where can said Chromoly Centers be sourced???

There was talk a while back about allowing them, but they were not readily available.

The thing with that is the price. If you go and buy the aluminum centered drums in type-3 or thing setup it’s $800 dollars.(backing plate wheel cyn, shoes, and drum.) THAT’S RIDICULOUS! $800 dollars for DRUM setup. You can buy Jamar four piston disk setup for that. I think Folts and Shapley would have a line on the parts.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I think you could do disks way cheaper than that. 500 seems like a realistic number. Maybe put a limit on the amount of pistons you can run per wheel. The steel wheel thing is due to the loss of mass production and big runs. Now, it seems the offset 5 lugs are only done in small batches and rarely more than once a year. Because of that, the production costs are higher.

tapeworm

Reaction
Jamar 4 piston disc brake setups are just below $1000. So $2000 to outfit a car but you’ll most likely never run into issues on a 9 car like with the drums.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
4 piston long axle swing kit from Kartek- Advertised price is $799.00. I bet the racer price is less. Kartek are great people!

Grease Weed

Reaction
I think you could do disks way cheaper than that. 500 seems like a realistic number. Maybe put a limit on the amount of pistons you can run per wheel. The steel wheel thing is due to the loss of mass production and big runs. Now, it seems the offset 5 lugs are only done in small batches and rarely more than once a year. Because of that, the production costs are higher.

I’m sure we could figure out something as far as price as to not price people out.
I was using their best and the high end side to show the ridiculousness of the prices of VW parts.

Grease Weed

Reaction
Ok, I'll bite...how many of you have actually stopped at somebody elses's pit and "borrowed" a tire?

I have personally borrowed tires and lent tires out. Over the years. And never a 4lug. You better have your ducks In a row if you race on 4lug.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Ok, I'll bite...how many of you have actually stopped at somebody elses pit and "borrowed" a tire?
I remember working a Yokohama pit back in the day when they even had extra rims and tires for anyone who needed one that stopped in their pit, even if on competitor's tires. I don't ever remember a 4 lug being available and they were servicing a lot of 9 cars.