Here we go again

Johnson954

Reaction
From 2001....funny, racers were complaining about the cost back then....18yrs ago! When entry fees were $350, and if you volunteered to do a road crossing you could get $100 off that.
class 9 rule changes

Again in 2003...
Class 9 evolves! Change or No change?
Well, at least with some digging I found my old account....now I'm a "well known" member again! LOL! Now the old me, can put down the new me for wanting to make changes to class 9!

ACME

Reaction
class 9 rule changes

Great find! This thread brought back lots of memories and history from this class. Lots of names from the heyday of the class: Pinky, Hinson, Doug, Bud, Benson, Richardson, Rodger, Poole, Corey, Johnson, Frankie, Stapp, Rob, McCarty, Thatcher and a host of others... Different day but the same old story for "Class Whine"

Mike Depue

Reaction
Well! We just had a race that was a good test of all things what’s everyone thinking after that I need better brakes the brakes I had were good enough
How many people had a fresh transmission go out and how many lasted
Would power steering maybe made your day better or are you satisfied without it

Did anyone ask around amongst the other 9s?

Racer_X

Reaction
#938 ran. Well I got lost so a gps might've helped. brakes- hardly used em. steering was fine until a front flat made it difficult to steer. 2 flat tires- shouldn't of hit rocks. a few dented wheels- we'll see how many I can pound out and how many I have to buy. if they cost more than aluminum- I'll cuss. 3rd race on the trans- no problems. knock on wood. drink system worked ok. wish we had an air conditioner.
From the results, 15 cars started, 7 finished.
It was really hot and we didn't wander anywhere except the air conditioned motorhome so didn't really get a chance to STS with anyone. See ya next time.

MirageRacingProd

Reaction
You really don't want to use that as an example as: 1) I believe they are no longer manufactured 2) Parts are costly 3) It's IRS 4) You can allow an upgrade/change current internals and continue well within the current class without reinventing the wheel.

Since we were in the game when they allowed the switch to Dual Ports I can tell you for sure, trans bills went up at that time. At the same time the fast guys figured it out did and continued winning just as they do in every other class. As for IRS: I can also tell you having prepped my wifes IRS 11 car that won 4 races in 2.5 years, that a stock IRS will also break if you don't know how to drive. The most common sense approach to this is to allow internals to be upgraded for strength and cost and get your cars set up so they don't tear themselves apart...

A class winning 7S guy that raced a swinger made a great comment that always stuck with me: "Everyone always wants to change a class to make the cars last instead of learning to drive within the rules and their limits fast enough to finish and win..." racing any class costs and the budget is still about the same relative to other classes

That is some sage advice!

Maxwell_99

Reaction
You guys may REALLY want to start getting together for some rule changes if you don't want class 9 to die....

Looking at building a car for this class for next years 1000. I see both sides of these arguments on page 20. I am all for the STOCK within reason!

Background: currently run, (try to run) a 9 car. Just to give you all some perspective on a current new nine build with some deals, over $30K. I like the spirit of the class to a point. However, when you have a group who refuses to update in order to save money that in my opinion does not help at all. Parts are so obsolete that we are spending ridiculous amounts of money on them. I’m $2500 - $3500 for a More or Snore race. There is a select group that has the time to go scouring junkyards and desolate desert properties for these parts and have the time to build engines and trans. Great for them ..... hope those five enjoy racing one another. I’ll be at work to pay for a few races a year. Personally I prefer budget minded because that’s what I have time and money for.

I see people arguing for stock and budget at the same time. It’s one or the other not both.

I think stock dimension/geometry is a must. But spending more money and waiting months for the OEM part is definitely not helping the class. Cars out there racing is going to help the class. PURE STOCK or Budget? Make a choice, can’t have both.

Fuel cell: Stock fuel cell? I’ll be going at this venture, (if we can make it happen) with a seasoned SCORE Quad racer and UTVguru. From what I’m told there have been races thrown away due to the reliability of fuel pumps etc. However running a stock tank will be a logistical nightmare. Fueling every 50 miles = more money and more chasers to manage.

Turbo and NA: I’d prefer to see them split because my UTV of choice would change for sure. But if they’re staying mixed you have to get all the performance you can.

Just a thought, don’t bash me too much if this is ignorant ...... Stock fuel tank with a five gallon off the shelf fuel cell? Would it be impossible or unsafe to have the cell feed in to the main tank? If that a possibility you could get more range for pretty cheap. Yes I know it would make for a longer pit over the guy with a 20 Gallon cell but .......

If the rules make sense we’ll move forward with a build.

tapeworm

Reaction
You guys may REALLY want to start getting together for some rule changes if you don't want class 9 to die....

Does this mean you aren’t coming back to class 9 Ian? What about as a ringer? I may be looking for someone to drive my car with me and we are about the same height and weight.

J BomBer

Reaction
What are some legitimate rules that should be changed for the class not to die? Seems like it’s thriving right now, every class goes up and down in numbers.

J. Peel 916

Reaction
It’s great that Ian, (and many others) still keep tabs and care about this class so much.

I’m not going to kick and scream about changing rules. Ultimately, class 9 just does not fit our life at this point. I have to work odd shifts and all over the southwestern states. So, I have to pay others to do everything other than basic prep. For the guy that can build his own trans, engine and fab everything it’s a great class in a single seat. Or the guy that can afford to run the entire series with someone else doing all the work, it’s still a great class.

I choose to run a two seat to incorporate as many of the kids as possible. I think it would be great if people were realistic about the weights but if they do not want to be I’m not going to complain I’m just going to move on.

Also just on principle alone I’m not going to continue to pay more for parts with less technology. I think if there are cheaper parts that are better, (last longer) and we’re not allowing them because “this is how we did it in 1986”. This class is not for us.

And yes, I realize that bullet proofing the trans could ..... again could expose a weak link elsewhere. However, I feel that the technology is there to correct that action.

Again, this is a great class and I will not be the squeaky wheel. It doesn’t work for me so I'm moving on. It works for some and I hope they continue to do well.

We’re going to finish assembling the car and put it up for sale, again this is because of the choices I’ve made and not the class. If we had a meeting, (in person and not on RDC) in the near future and things changed my personal opinion is the class would grow. And I don’t think the class is in bad shape as it stands. If it were updated it’s not going to change our success in the class. It would just allow us to race a lot more.