• Forum membership has its advantages....

Here's my story - what's yours?

jackassracing89

Good find Curtis!
I got my start at 5 when my parents took me to our first vorra race at prairie city in Folsom ca in October of 1987. My dads best friend was the flagger. After the race my dad asked if we wanted to continue going to the races as a volunteer. We were hooked to say the least. Our first jobs started with my brother and I picking trash up after the race. My parents went on to being tech inspectors, contingency director, lap checking, announcing, and checkpoint crew. My brother and I helped marking the race course's, picking up after the race and by 13 we were running our own checkpoints. The coolest thing was by age 9ish, at short course races, while all the friends were partying, they would put us in the water truck. Go till you get stuck they'd say. I have so many stories from those days I could write a book. Literally the best childhood I could ask for.
At age 14 we started building our first class 7 race truck. A 1982 Dodge D-50. With help from other class 7 racers, Mike Koenig and Tim Schrader being the most help, we put a cage, bigger tires and rancho shocks. My first race was at age 15 at prairie city. In a 8 lap moto, on a mile long course we would be lapped 2 times. LOL. We learned to hold our line and not destroy anyone's race cars. my dad, as the annoucer held a raffle to give the 7 truck away. He asked that all kids under 16 write a small essay as to why they deserved the truck. It ended up going to a fantastic family who raced for several years there after. After the truck Dennis Kordonoway gave us his first 10 car he built. As a roller we had to figure things out. With help from many people, we were able to get it going. Steve Bradford was our first real sponsor and built us some awesome motors. First race my brother came around a hairpin, shifted to 1st gear and threw a rod out of the block. Good times. We raced several years in Semi pro and had some success. The best part was while in high school we had a shop that all of our friends would come over and "work" on the car. Again great times.
After that life kinda got in the way. The car needed more work than a couple young guys could handle. My brother ended up teaming up with my dads best friend and raced a class 12 for several years. I went back to volunteering. Became the announcer and that was a great way to stay involved in the series I've always loved.

Flash forward to October 2018. My wife and I are at ORMHOF. Celebrating Ed Robinson, the founder of Vorra's induction. My wife and I approach Dave Cole to ask if we could borrow the vorra logo to make some retro shirts. Pretty harmless question, but to our surprise, Dave asks if we want the series back? I mean, how can we say no. And just like that, we became the owners and promoters of vorra. We held 3 races in 2019. Our second, had 99 entries making it one of the biggest races in it's history. We held the first ever northern California desert race. And we were even nominated for a industry award at ORMHOF. Losing to Dave Cole, who one year ealier gave us the series. I'll take it. :) 2019 was very successful. We have so many people to thank for that. Our crew, families, board members, the generation who showed us how to have a great time putting on a race but make it safe. Dave Cole for giving us a great opportunity. All of the racers, new and old, and the people that continue to support us even during these tough times. 2020 was set to be a break out year. We have had cancel and re schedule the first two races. Yerington has been re scheduled to Labor day, just the way vorra founders had it for several years.

ORR183

Grew up vacationing to Parker/havasu springs and learned to ride a dirt bike out there about age 10(Year 2000) shortly after, began spectating several 4-wheel races each year from Parker, primm 300, terribles cup, and local stuff. My dad and I loved spectating 4-wheels and he supported me racing 2-wheels in District 37.

Met my now wife at SDSU in 2012, her family had similar hobbies and the idea of racing 4-wheels was born after many whiskeys and input from the great Weatherman Bob, their river neighbor until his passing. Youtheory racing began with the support of my in-laws, my two brother in-laws and I shared driving/riding duties early on and things progressed to now with 3 TT’s. Many great results, memories, and friends with a lot of credit to people like Jerry Whelchel and Harley Letner who helped shape our program. Cheers to the future!

Class10DAN

born in sunny so cal, my parents are from Australia so surfing was more their thing. but me... i loved car fro as long as i can remember, when i was about 2-3 my dad had gotten a DVD, (I think it was one of the first Dezert people movies) but i would watch if non stop and for some damn reason i thought Trophy trucks were called "Robby Gordon's" to me thats kinda where off road racing hit my hear but as i got older i got involved with more FIA WEC (world endurance championship) and DTM and stuff like that. But a year ago i had made a really crappy thread called if im not mistaken "My really Big Passion" and boyy was that a doosy... basically i was looking to get into racing and i thought that maybe i can race in class 1, i had immediately been put into my place and realized that i needed to build my way and work hard and show that i have that ambition to get to the top, so i decided to look to help out some local shops and learn to Fabricate, but then my mom lied to me and i got stuck living with her in Georgia, fast forward to recent news Mom and stepdad dont want me living with them and want me to move back to Fullerton with my dad. i told them i was down and within the next week or so ill be back in sunny California.

TaylorAnderson31

cool thread.

I was born into a middle income fam in Mesa, Az. As a kid i remember riding the hump in my dads brand new 77 GMC 4x4 truck. Rocky Point Mexico and El Golfo were our playground, back then it was pretty primitive and I loved the fact that you could buy fireworks when your parents weren't looking. Bouncing around that truck driving from Rocky Point to El Golfo along the beach(60 miles) were some of my fondest memories. Camping on the beach, cruising to the fish market for shrimp, and riding our Honda 110 ATC in cutoffs and flip flops were the norm. The people were so cool, like an extended family, Mexican aunts and uncles, cousins the whole lot of them.

Flash forward to high school, the trips continued with friends, and into college we kept going, learned to over drink tequila, mezcal and warm Tecate like a pro while cruising the beaches in my CJ7.

As it turns out I wasn't made for college. So I hit the trades, framing houses, tilework, stonework, I loved working with my hands, and the money that came along with it. Got married, divorced, married again to the coolest chick ever, and built a family. 2 boys, perfect....

My first real look into this world was when my brother in laws neighbor an I started talking at a New Years Eve party, all about the Yamaha Rhino. 2005ish Dragonfire Racing was born, Romano, myself and my brother had parts designed and built for Rhinos, then RZRs, it ended out not being the best situation for all parties, so my brother and I got ready to start our own thing, and met another local guy who wanted to join forces, Rigid was born. We added another partner 6 months later, and started to build up an LED lighting business. About a year into this we were looking for teams to help us prove our new products, I met Scott Steinberger at the Sand Show in 2006 and we have been friends since.

I was lucky to have Scott and Dave Sykes agree to let Rigid set up the #7 truck with our products. I think 2007, the B1K was my first taste of Baja racing. I was on the chase team, dream come true, stayed in the big house, had the best food, and met some rad people including WeatherMex. I installed a Skyjacker 4" lift on my 2007 4dr JK, taped a race radio to the console, squeezed a 37" BFG into the back and we were off.

#7 made it 7 miles. We were the first ones to get to the truck, and there he was. Dave sitting on the hood smoking a big cigar drinking a Tecate. I couldn't believe it. All of the money, time, prepping, money, money and more money spent to get down here, and Dave says, hey bud, this is racing, sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn't. I will never forget that, and at that moment I got it, the fever that has never left.

I was lucky to do well in business, we sold our company, and one of the first things I did was buy my race truck. I watched it being built right here, the Beer Hauler. Matt Parks told the whole story, found an old prerunner, found out about the history, and built it into what he wanted it to be. I couldn't believe that he actually sold it to me. I did have to bug him for a couple months btw, thanks Matt...

Racing is just like Dave Sykes said, sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn't, but the whole ride is awesome. Its the most emotional thing I have ever been a part of aside from my kids being born. For me its really about the people, I have met some of my closest friends in this industry, and still love it as much as I did back then. The history of the sport is addicting, and I still can't get enough of it.
get to see and meet my hero's, and even race with them...

coolest memory.....

lined up at the 2017 Norra start with Cam in Scoops old Ford right behind me, motor roaring, gold horses on the door, so surreal...We head out in a speed zone of course, and end up drag racing through town towards the dirt. Wildest thing I had done up to that point, I will always be in Baja.

Work hard, get lucky, whatever you can do to make your dream happen, its worth it.

Attachments

Last edited: