Hi-Perf GM 4.3L Vortec V-6 for mid engine/RWD buggy???

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Anybody have any suggestions on how to build up a GM 4.3L Vortec V6 engine. . .I wanna build a budget desert buggy. . .mid-engine/RWD & IRS. . .

shooting for around a 3000 lb. vehicle and I would like to be able to go pretty fast, have good low end torque for acceleration out of the corners, climbing inclines, etc.

I'm not very familiar with this engine at all. . .so any suggestion/comments are welcome.

Also. . .if anyone would wanna suggest a good manual transmission to back this engine up I would also appreciate that!

Thanks!!!

Reaction
Why not just get a 5.3 aluminum V-8? Probably cheaper.

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Reaction
Anybody have any suggestions on how to build up a GM 4.3L Vortec V6 engine. . .I wanna build a budget desert buggy. . .mid-engine/RWD & IRS. . .

shooting for around a 3000 lb. vehicle and I would like to be able to go pretty fast, have good low end torque for acceleration out of the corners, climbing inclines, etc.

I'm not very familiar with this engine at all. . .so any suggestion/comments are welcome.

Also. . .if anyone would wanna suggest a good manual transmission to back this engine up I would also appreciate that!

Thanks!!!
Look for an old Busch motor. There is a bunch of them floating around. And probably only need to be freshened up for about 5-600 hp. They are not the typical 90 degree v6 though.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Look for an old Busch motor. There is a bunch of them floating around. And probably only need to be freshened up for about 5-600 hp. They are not the typical 90 degree v6 though.
$$$$$$$$$$$$:eek:

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Last time i looked for one they werent that bad. About a year ago you could buy brand new cup cars from roush for 10 cents on the dollar.
Define "not to bad". . .I'm a full-time college student on a very limited budget for at least the next 7 months until I finish up and get a job. . .

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Didn't realize that the newer aluminum V8's would be cheaper than the 4.3. . .

thanks for that info! I would much rather start off with an aluminum LS series SBC than a V6 anyway. . .easier to upgrade and lighter!!!

Thanks!

idealer

Reaction
I have a 04 4.3 vortec with 18k mi, billet distributor, howell efi & harness for cheap. I bought a busch motor for my truck instead.

Attachments

jg009

Reaction
Don't rule out the 4.3 V6 yet, it's a great motor. For a V6, it makes tons of torque and is very powerful. My friend's 4.3 V6 Silverado is faster than my Durango with a 5.2 V8. If it were me, I'd upgrade the ignition and spark plugs, maybe do a little port/polish work, fab up a high flow intake and exhause, and maybe do cams, too.

If you race it, the V6 might get you in a different class than the V8, so I'd check that, too.

dirtdudeaz

Reaction
either the 4.3 or 5.3 are decent engines. You can pick up a 6.0L be able to do wheelys for around 1k for 40k miles on it.

search around there is a lot of these motors waiting for new owners. I checked the GM website and a new 4.3 crate motor goes for 2500. So use that as a base.

As far as performance goes. Yo ucan check out www.performancetrucks.net, in the gm section. There are a ton of guys with similar questions.
You can do exhaust, cam, stall converter, custom tune, heads, ported/larger throttle body, supercharger; those are the basic mods.

Ryno

Reaction
IRS, 400hp, and College budget don't go together well. If you want IRS, and a transaxle (buggy) and not a floating rear axle (truggy) When you increase the HP, the transaxle cost doubles. Built 091 to take a 4.3 will cost 3k. Mendeola E box for a V8, 6k.

You can get a 4.3 with vortec heads, swap in a better cam, and run it. You're not going to gain that much for all the $$$ and time in porting the heads for a play/ pre run buggy. 300hp is east to attain for $1500 if you shop around.

loufish

Reaction
With the 4.3 you can save money on needing less transmission...They are a good engine, the Vortec later model can take a manifold swap for carburation and a MSD dist for spark and make good power and torque.

My buddy did the above with a good built bus trans and not shifting in too a hurry...a 3000 lb play-runner that really was nice to drive and had plenty of power...