• Forum membership has its advantages....

Hi! Trying to make a decision

Mattheman03

Hi, my name is Matt Pope , I’m 17, and I’m from Idaho. I currently drive a Jeep Cherokee with a few mods, but I’m going to be losing that to my sister as soon as I graduate. I’m most likely going to Dixie state in St. George soon, and of course I will be wanting to mess around in Sand Hollow on the dunes and the rock crawling trails. My question would be, would you recommend getting a single rig to do it all, (4wd ifs ranger, built tacoma) as well as being a daily driver? Or would you get a small truck from the early 2000s with a v6 to tow a rzr or other SxS? Or any other options? My only preference is that I really don’t like the feeling of having a solid front axle for a daily driver, it feels disconnected and I don’t like that. Any suggestions would really help.

Mattheman03

I think that 10k would be a reasonable budget that I could save over time. The Jeep isn’t much, it’s got lots of miles and I wouldn’t want to trust it with the 7+ hour drive that I would be taking going to and from college

michael.gonzalez

8 years ago I was in your exact shoes.

Do yourself a favor and get:

- a daily that is able to tow
- a trailer
- a beater rig. Weather it be an older ranger, tacoma, rzr. etc.

Mattheman03

8 years ago I was in your exact shoes.

Do yourself a favor and get:

- a daily that is able to tow
- a trailer
- a beater rig. Weather it be an older ranger, tacoma, rzr. etc.

That is kind of what I was thinking. Would I be able to keep up with regular maintenance on a rzr? They have snowmobile type clutches and I know that when you hop up a sled they go through belts like nobody’s business. I have been non stop researching and my head is spinning because of all the information. Any suggestions on a cheap, reliable desert runner/rock crawler? Thank you

michael.gonzalez

I don't know much about RZR's but I do know that any SXS with CVT will most certainly need a belt replacement and many more throughout its life. From what I hear its not too difficult and a RZR is a good option if its in your budget but I suspect not as the beaters I will be lisitng below are MUCH MUCH cheaper.

For a beater:
Old toyota pickup (not tacoma, 22re's are BULLETPROOF)
Old toyota tacoma
Cherokee/XJ

You can find a decent daily-able tow rig if you look and aren't too picky.
Tahoes/Yukon/Escalade, Silverado/Sierra/Avalanche, F-150.

Tahoes are relatively cheap and have decent drivetrains. They are basically Silverado 1500's but much cheaper on the used market.
silverado, f-150.

EDIT: Take everything I say with a grain of salt. Hindsight is 2020 and I wish I would have gone this route myself . That being said, I am not 100% sure I'd recommend it to others but if the idea of a daily/trailer/beater is in your mind already then this would likely be a good option.

Ty Owings

f150 for a tow rig. small 20ft lightweight trailer, then save and pick up a ranger if you want a truck or finance a SxS. Trucks will cost more to build than just buying a used 1000 SxS.
I'm building my daily 2005 f150 into a prerunner to chase the races out here. I'm almost 10k deep in parts and still don't have enough to get the front and rear end done without a cage lol. Once you add in a decent kit, decent shocks, fab work, and wheel+tire cost your very close to your 10k budget. Not to mention if you are able to keep up your payments on the golf cart, it can help your credit score.
Be sure to not get too heavy of a trailer as well. We had the trophy truck flatbed trailer behind my f150 for about 150 miles at vegas to reno and it was extremely sketchy doing over 65 with a empty trailer. Then again that trailer was a ginormous 5000lb pig lol. Can't beat the financing on the golf carts in the modern days.