HID - HELLA vs. LIGHTFORCE vs. KC

racer951

Reaction
I remember KC was the first to come out with HID race lights and since then HELLA has dominated the market. How do the KC's compare? Also, I have heard a lot about the new LIGhtforce's (integrated ballast, adjustable beam). Some say they are brighter too, but I think the adjustable beam could be a big selling point. Anyone tried all 3 of these or 2 of the 3? Which is the best?

ntsqd

Reaction
Um, no. Hella made them first. I distinctly recall the SEMA show when they debuted them. It took the others in the industry several months to a couple of years to come out with their own HID's. KC was the first to make some that most people could afford.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I have never driven in a vehicle with Hella or KC HIDs but I have driven in one with Lightforce HIDs...considering we are Team Lightforce I would hope I have used the HIDs!

The advantage the Lightforce has that most people see is that it has the integrated ballast and adjustable beam. The advantage people dont see is the weight of the light. The lightforce HID weighs more then 50% less then the other 2 mentioned...that is A LOT less when you consider some vehicles run 10 + lights.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
I have used the KC's, Hellas and (pre-production) Lightforce lights. I prefer Hella. Brightness, pattern and adjustability are the pros. I do wish that the Hella was llighter.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
I've heard HELLA has an integral ballast already designed but has to deplete all the current supplies and/or redesign all their HID's to become internal, until then use the mounts(O.K. so I make them). Ballast mounts

JEFF_DICKERSON

Reaction
I think KC was the first one to make HID's. I run the Hellas, but I don't think they give you enough adjustment. What does anybody know about the McCoullough HID's. They also have the ballast mounted directly on the back of the light and I have herd they work pretty good. Any opinions?

sidekicker

RIP Lusk & Ox
Reaction
our team use the kc light now not lightforce anymore the kc light is best one

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
our team use the kc light now not lightforce anymore the kc light is best one
funny that you picked up a 5 year old thread to promote your team's lights....also, I am sure that when you ran lightforce, you said those were the best...:D

BlueBear

Prep/Woody/Sleepy/Drive-Bear
Reaction
funny that you picked up a 5 year old thread to promote your team's lights....also, I am sure that when you ran lightforce, you said those were the best...:D
He's just excited about our awesome new lights. haha.

randy s

Reaction
we like baja design 4" fuego hids. small, lightweight, amazing light output, easy to adjust, great use of light spectrum, three different patterns available and alan is a really nice guy and very helpful. i actually prefer them to their "la paz" larger model. i'm also impressed with vision x lights. they came on a buggy i bought and they're killer lights. piaa's new hid line looks interesting as well. robby gordon prolly would have been proud to run harbor freight trailer lights last year heh? i'm sorry. i had to mention that. ja ja.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
I'm more than happy with my Vision X lights. Not only that, if I have a problem with them (never have), Joe is usually out at the races and can help......GREAT SERVICE!

onebuilder

Reaction
we like baja design 4" fuego hids. small, lightweight, amazing light output, easy to adjust, great use of light spectrum, three different patterns available and alan is a really nice guy and very helpful. i actually prefer them to their "la paz" larger model. i'm also impressed with vision x lights. they came on a buggy i bought and they're killer lights. piaa's new hid line looks interesting as well. robby gordon prolly would have been proud to run harbor freight trailer lights last year heh? i'm sorry. i had to mention that. ja ja.
I agree! Baja Designs 4" Fuego lights are awesome!

ACME

Reaction
I've driven with Hella, KC 6", Soltek; Hella's are very good but the ballast is a pain and they are heavy plus adjusting sucks, the Solteks are very close to the Hella's as far as output and the internal ballast and adjustability are sweet. The KC 6" are good on a 9 or 11 as long as you have 4 of them, anything less and you'll outrun the lights. Torres has the PODs and says they are killer...

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
In my opinion the Hella, KC Highlites, and Baja Designs are all the top lights. All the others don't compare. You need to look at the quality of the construction/components each company uses such as reflector brightness, lens clarity, ballast and bulb etc... Now when you look at all the quality put into each of the top 3 you will see they don't cut corners. They also use all there own designs and don't knock each other off with a china brand product. Now aside from the quality you need to look at the technical features such as weight, power, adjust ability etc.... This is where the new KC POD comes in first!
They are 70 watts (twice the power of the others), Carbon fiber 1/2 the weight of the Hella, integrated ballast, lexan lens so they they don't crack when a rock hits them, easy to adjust from all 4 corners of the lens and they stay together after a race. The KC light is also smaller diameter making them more arrow dynamic. Not to mention the beam pattern is awesome! No huge hot spots, just good even light that fills in great...

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Considering this is a 5 year old thread I still believe the 3 vendors mentioned are the only 3 to choose from for offroad lighting although KC is now blowing everybody away with the pod carbon lights but none of them are a bad choice. PIAA is also a top choice but PIAA and HELLA will not throw the money to develop a hands down offroad winning light that KC will and it appears lightforce may as well.

I just put a pair of KC's on my truck since I will be chasing long into the night next week.

Martin

Reaction
I've run the Hella's, and the Soltek lights and the Hella's are to heavy and don't produce the light the Soltek lights do. The Soltek light is by far the best light on the market in my opinion light weight more compact.

Martin

Reaction
I think KC was the first one to make HID's. I run the Hellas, but I don't think they give you enough adjustment. What does anybody know about the McCoullough HID's. They also have the ballast mounted directly on the back of the light and I have herd they work pretty good. Any opinions?
I've driven a car with these light and they where good but the Soltek light is far better.