Hiem Covers

RacerX

Reaction
Does anybody have any information on hiem boots. I saw that the SI ranger had some black rubber boots that went over the hiems to keep the dirt out. Any info and any type of cover will help.
Thanks a lot!

Rallyrick

Reaction
Check out Aircraft Spruce in Corona, I remeber seeing rod end dust covers in their catalog a while back.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
i have the plank/nestor ranger in my shop right now, i'll ask gary about those covers when he picks it up tomm. morning.

race trash wiring

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Yep Larry Plank and Nestor Berardi built that white ranger, it is bad ass. Nestor is also building "twin" ford tube chassis prerunners, the skunkworkz was posted today. Watch for some killer trucks and kits coming from Newline Products in the next 6 months. How much do those dust covers on the heims really help? Seems like everyone would run them, is there a downfall to running them? Sounds like a good idea to me.

firedog

Reaction
We don't run the covers and really don't have any expierence with them but if water and dirt somehow got into them it would seem to me that it might trap that stuff in there instead of just washing or getting blown off. Just my .02 cents.

pciscott

Reaction
Baker bearing in Long Beach carries the dust boots. In our experience in the Protruck the boots more than doubled the life of the heim joints. We were very concerned when going to the Baja 2000 of rod end wear. We used the boots on the heims and cut silicon hose spacers to cover all the uniballs. This paid off big because the heims were perfect after the Baja 2000, in fact we ran three more races after the Baja 2000 and then changed them because we were worried about fatigue not because of wear. If you look close at other race cars you will see many people using them. Where you will really notice a big difference is in the four link heims especially the lower ones. Dirt and sand from the front tires tend to wear these ones out the fastest. Good luck to everyone, and if you order the good NHB/LMB stainless heims from Baker bearing PJ Baker will usually throw in the boots for free.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7