Hiem Sizes*UniBalls

JOSH

Reaction
I am finally starting on my front and rear suspension and will be running all hiems on my pivot points. what size would be good to run in the front (uppers and lowers)? and on the trailing arms in the rear (Four link)? and where can I find good prices??
I am also going to try to get some Fabtech spindles to work with uniballs. Does anyone have any ideas? Or done anything like that?

Any help or ideas would be cool
Thanks
Josh

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
You can use the lift spindle with uniballs and heims you just have to drill (hone sp?) the taper out of the ball joint/tie rod locations to run a bolt with no play.

JOSH

Reaction
Thanks John, Do you have any idea on sizes or where to get them?
Thanks Alot
Josh

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Your best bet is to call a shop depending on where you are at. Camburg in HB has a lot and I have heard that Baja Concepts has a lot in stock and great prices. As far as sizes better leave that up to the people in the know.. I am sure someone will type soon.

Greg

Reaction
Actually, you need to drill the hole under size about .015" then use the apropriate "reamer" to make the hole round and to size. And then use shoulder/stripper bolts for a good fit and for strength and you wont have any trouble. Call McMaster-Carr for all this stuff.

Greg

JOSH

Reaction
Greg, Do you have The phone # or have any ideas on sizes??
Thanks,
Josh

Chris

Reaction
A guy I know came up with a great source for cheap heim's. He said he scored some from a aircraft graveyard out in nevada. He paid 1/3 the cost of a new one and they were super beefy due to the application they were designed for...DC10's and whatnot. Just an idea.

Chris

Reaction
They were tight, no play whatsoever. If you took a micrometer to them I'm sure you would find wear but they were in really good shape. The housing was a little rusty but the ball and the threads on the shank were in really good shape.

JOSH

Reaction
COOL THANKS FOR THE IDEA. WHAT I REALLY NEED TO KNOW NOW ARE WHAT SIZES/TYPES I SHOULD USE. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS.
JOSH

pciscott

Reaction
A Protruck 4 link runs 3/4 by 3/4 this size would probably be ok for your application, but remember bigger is better. The larger joint has more contact and will last much longer. Trophy trucks run 7/8 by 7/8 on the 4 link, these would last much longer and be alot stronger. Front lower A-arms I suggest a bushing instead of heims. The upper arms on a Protruck run 3/4 and the trophy trucks run 7/8. On the lower link in the rear I would use a bushing in the front and a 1 1/4 Heim in the rear on the housing. In my experience NHBB or LMB stainless heims tend to last much better than chromolly heims and they will not rust. Baker Bearing in Long Beach carries these and have a rubber boot to keep the dirt out that tripples the were on these joints. If you talk to PJ at Baker he has been known to throw in the rubber boots if you purchase a bunch of heims all at once. Good luck with your project and whatever heims you get I suggest the Baker rubber boots they will more than double the life of your heims.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

Greg

Reaction
McMaster-Carr # is 562-692-5911, everyone should keep thier # handy. Another company that caries alot of tooling is Airgas/Rutland tool #800-289-4787. I think both companies have catalouges on disk they give away, gotta call though for sure. The ream will run you about $15 and it shoud be .7500 for a 3/4 inch bolt. Are you gonna drill by hand? if so you have to work your way up to the sixe or the hole will get all triangle shaped. but you should finish with a drill 47/64 or .734" then ream the hole to size. Use the shoulder bolts cause they are groung to be a perfect fit at .750 (no slop in the hole) and the are the only kind of bolt designed to be used as a pivot. As hoky as my truck is that is the way i did my steering knuckles and they have held up great, as for the rest of the truck, well, nevermind.

Greg

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
any opinions on the rod end adapters that McKensies has. Pin with taper on one end and shaft for heim on the other. Bolt on without any mods.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Fab by travolta</font color=yellow>

toddz

Reaction
They're OK, but all the ones I've seen are one size-5/8" only, and I like to run at 3/4". Those adapters are meant for buggies and Bugs that can get away with running the smaller heims.

Todd Z.

JOSH

Reaction
Re: Heim Sizes*UniBalls

Thanks Alot guys.
Greg Do you have any pictures i could look at?
Thanks
Josh