• Forum membership has its advantages....

High Desert People - Stoddard Wells OHV Area - Action Alert

kim

Rescue 3
All -

If you ride or test in the Stoddard Wells OHV Area, your time may be limited.

The Town of Apple Valley is conducting a Multi-Species Habitat Plan and I need your help.

I have been asked to represent the OHV community at a meeting this Thursday June 9th in Valencia. If you are familiar with Stoddard Wells, specifically the area around Wild Wash Road I could use your help.

The town of Apple Valley is looking to limit the development and use of up to 170,000 acres either in the town of or just outside of the limits of Apple Valley.

I have a couple of maps that were just sent to me outlining the areas in question.

For the motorcycle peeps, it might not be that big of a deal. But for you car guys that test in Stoddard that may be another question.

If you are interested in giving me your opinions of or the details of where you test your vehicles and how you may be personally impacted by this conservation plan, I'd love to hear from you.

My email address is kim764@yahoo.com or you can call me at 760-475-0409. If you are in the Valencia area on June 9th and would like to sit in on the meeting let me know that too.

Nothing will be decided or finalized. It is merely the first in many discussions.

I will say that the town of Apple Valley is very aware of the dollars that off-roaders bring to their town and the last thing they want is to drive us away.

Thanks for your time.....

Kim

coilover88

JV and now Stoddard Valley?????? What is the threat Kim? Is the city wanting to expand into our area? Where are we to race, test, and play if all this comes to pass? I don't want a $100k paperweight.

kim

Rescue 3
JV and now Stoddard Valley?????? What is the threat Kim? Is the city wanting to expand into our area? Where are we to race, test, and play if all this comes to pass? I don't want a $100k paperweight.
The town of Apple Valley along with the Fish and Game have identified 7 species of plant and animal that are either on the Endangered Species list or may be soon. They are looking to manage the area not cut it off completely.

Grant, got your email. Call me when your in town. I will be at a race this Friday - Sunday but around the entire week of the June 6th.

oldman dirt

Off Road Racers ar also on the "ENDANGERED" species list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oldman dirt

no--- but I guess i need one !!

Vtr_Racing

The town of Apple Valley along with the Fish and Game have identified 7 species of plant and animal that are either on the Endangered Species list or may be soon.
They have been "threatened" by you know who! The perversion of the ESA continues. This needs to be repealed NOW.....They will use this against us at every juncture, area by area.

tacosupreme

They just took over 14,000 acres North of Barstow in the Copper City Rd area and another patch that borders on Ft. Irwin for the "milk vetch". http://www.inlandempire.us/things-to-do/ie-parks/usfws-sets-aside-14069-desert-acres-for-milk-vetch/ I live out there and the milk vetch plants are going nuts right now with all the rain we've had. The biologists conducted the study in the middle of a ten year drought when most of the plants were dormant. The areas they grow on Ft. Irwin also got "red boxed" despite thriving plants and heavy use since Patton was training here in WW2. Be glad the study is being conducted in a wet year, but I assure you the Center for Biological Diversity will sue the Dept. of Fish & Wildlife just as they did North of town and the DFW will be court ordered to lock that land up. What is ironic is that strip malls and urban development seem to be approved, it's ok to pave it over but not to offroad. Go figure.

Baja_XJ

I went to Stoddard when I was in AV, it was amazing. I hate to see such a great piece get taken out of our hands. AV would take a major hit if they did close it down which makes me say if you fight it from an economic standpoint that they wouldnt be so harsh

Vtr_Racing

Wow, and I only thought that plant grew in Glamis! We have to attack the means and that is the ESA. We can **
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!** all we want and let them throw us in a little corner but until we cut the head off the snake it wont go away.

tacosupreme

Wow, and I only thought that plant grew in Glamis! We have to attack the means and that is the ESA. We can **
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!** all we want and let them throw us in a little corner but until we cut the head off the snake it wont go away.
It's not just Glamis, Dumont also. The issue is that the milk vetch plant (it's kinda like a pea plant that grows on vines) grows all over the greater Mojave desert and parts of the Sonora desert. The biological classification system names the plants based on location or by the name of the discoverer, so the Peirson's milk vetch growing in Glamis becomes the Lane Mountain milk vetch if growing in Barstow. Same plant, different name. They also only bloom for about a week, and only in wet years making the task of counting them nearly impossible. The CBD won their case because the study showed that there were no new shoots and that the plant numbers were dwindling, which is true because the study was conducted in a drought, in late summer when the plant is dormant. By definition the Lane Mt. milk vetch only grows near LANE MT, so it's pretty easy to get the plant on the endangered species list. Notice how they are targeting offroad areas with these studies, it is no coincidence.

9rocky

Having dealt extensively with staff at the Town of Apple Valley, my opinion is that if their lips are moving...they are lying. This is much more sinister than it appears. The multi species habitat study is being performed under the guise of facilitating a quicker process for permitting in the "North Apple Valley Industrial Specific Plan" area, which is also where our business is located. I would suspect that this will lead to a land swap for a development that is being hampered by the finding of some type of endangered species. If they say they are friendly to off roaders, I would doubt that.

rallyorg

As I stated before that we need to come together in numbers and if we do not...you can see that all lands will become closed and bordered off and they do not realize that what might be left open is going to create so many weekend warriors using the same piece of land and create a safety hazard and do more harm of soil erosion instead of allowing all areas left open OR get to the point ALL areas closed and no where to go for motorsport competition and weekend recreational users BUT you will continue to pay taxes for public land.

I was told 8 years ago that the Biological Diversity plan is to close all National Forest, BLM land and state forest, etc and only allow foot traffic into these lands ONLY. They are on schedule with the right government that is in power to make this happen. Texas is now the next state having problems as the news was told this morning about a certain lizard needs to be on the endangered species act where they want to start a drilling area for oil. So federal government and state need to have us to pull attorney out of our pocket and research into the wording of their documents as to what is proclaim endangered or items that need to come off the endanger species act because the particular species has fully recovered.

I know that the AMA got a attorney and won a case in court and that is the key of what we have to do in order for them to take us seriously and we are voters and tax payers and we do have rights and a voice.

So if we do not start fighting back ...we will NOT have a place to play and we must adhere to staying at home and get rid of your rally cars, off-road vehicles, motorcycles, etc. But this must be done profressionally and diplomatically so we are not considered half crazed people.

Vtr_Racing

On a local level I would agree dealing with locals.......This is MUCH bigger than that..... This is a very very organized effort to rid us and others off our public lands. Limit its use and I would guess eliminate human interaction on it. Rally, these groups do not play fair, they pervert the laws that we have and are extremely well funded. They have a whole political party behind them and yes this is political. This is what we have all voted for, right?

Bro_Gill

The problem is 2 fold. There are provisions in WEMO that limited the total amount of growth in the Western Mojave. It was not divied up to each city, it was just a gross amount of total land that could be disturbed for development. With that, if I remember right, there is a 3 to 1 mitigation requirement for any development beyond single family, single owner home building for the private land. So if Apple Valley is looking to somehow preserve 170,000 acres, then they are most likely looking to develop 50,000 acres somewhere else. They probably feel that purchasing all the private inholdings inside Stoddard is one of the cheapest ways to do this. There are thousands of privately owned acres inside the Stoddard OHV area. I would not trust any city to look after OHV interests, there is not enough money in it. Roof taxes and sales taxes will trump OHV expenditures in the area probably 20 to 1. Any lip service they are paying to OHV users now is just that, appeasement to get us not to fight. Once they have their land, I would bet you will see noise, dust, and trespassing complaints skyrocket to the BLM asking for a shut down of and buffer created in regards to Stoddard. That is one of the secrets to the whole battle. The enviros have been pitting us against other land users so they don't have to do the actual fighting.

kim

Rescue 3
Had some great discussions yesterday and we are working on a plan. Will be having more discussions today with CORVA and others. The meeting next Thursday will be very telling. Stay tuned......