High misalignment spacer

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Are they all created equal? I'm concerned if I buy one vendors misalignment spacer will I be able to use another vendors and still have the same stack up height?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07FJRog

^^^^^ yes this, lol

J Burleson

No definitely not created equal. I have seen more often then not the radius of the spacer not matching that of the ball. Too small and every time it cycles onto the spacer it brings dirt into the bearing and if too big the sharp edge of the spacer destroys the bearing liner. Also be aware of the fk bearings jmx14 and jmx14-770 difference. Both are a very common 7/8" heim but the 770 series has a touch larger body and ball diameter. A well machined spacer made specifically for either with not correctly interchange. And when you find a supplier that sells you the right stuff, stick with them. But don't always assume you are getting the same stuff as last time. Everybody is always looking for a cheaper machinist or outsourcing over seas. And like most things in off road, there is no standard anything. Everybody wants to make proprietary stuff so you always have to go back to them.

Scott_F

No definitely not created equal. I have seen more often then not the radius of the spacer not matching that of the ball. Too small and every time it cycles onto the spacer it brings dirt into the bearing and if too big the sharp edge of the spacer destroys the bearing liner.
This radius mismatch has always bothered me for the reasons you stated. I find that if you put the mis spacer in the heim or uniball, you can feel if there is a difference in the radius. The funny thing is that the radius could be correct, but the shoulder that goes into the ball may be at the wrong height, giving the symptoms above.

If the mis spacer has a sharp edge, I like to slightly deburr that edge. It is easiest in a lathe.

J Burleson

Yup, I do the same. I've also seen some that have too large of a radius on the fillet between the shoulder and flat so it can't seat all the way down. The best ones have a slight relief in this spot to eliminate any chance of this.

Scott_F

Luckily the spherical balls usually have a generous chamfer on the bore. If the radius stated above is too large, it could easily be reduced on a lathe.

PDANK Racing

One of the main differences is material used and heat treating. Cheap spacers (Ballistic Fab, Artec) are made from 303 stainless, which is non heat treatable. For a racing application, look for ones made from 17-4 SS, they are heat treated to be stronger, and will last longer than the cheap spacer. I know that FK rod ends also makes high quality spacers, I would recommend matching their components for a better fit.

isdtbower

I was faced with buying several dozen heims and misalignments for a IFS/IRS rig. Being the "engineer", I made up a matrix by size, best offering, load specification, and cost. I also watched what was working in racing. In racing fabricators/racers were going to larger heim heads so that the Teflon would last longer. Common was the 1.25" head with 1" bore and shank. Do your homework. Specification numbers are different and there are even different grades of Teflon. It also appears that only Kartek and FK supply hardened misalignments. The others could collapse when under high clamping loads. Do your homework and then go shopping.

Samco Fab

1" to 3/4" , as well as 7/8" to 5/8" HMS spacers cannot handle full torque of the bolt in most joint applications.

I try to do 1" to 5/8" wherever I can to avoid this problem, even with good Kartek or FK spacers.

atomicjoe23

1" to 3/4" , as well as 7/8" to 5/8" HMS spacers cannot handle full torque of the bolt in most joint applications.

I try to do 1" to 5/8" wherever I can to avoid this problem, even with good Kartek or FK spacers.
I'm not sure, but are you saying that because of the thin wall section of a 1"-to-3/4" or 7/8"-to-5/8" HMA spacer they will deform if you try to torque the bolt to the recommended size for the bolt?

Thanks for clearing that up. . .

Samco Fab

I'm not sure, but are you saying that because of the thin wall section of a 1"-to-3/4" or 7/8"-to-5/8" HMA spacer they will deform if you try to torque the bolt to the recommended size for the bolt?

Thanks for clearing that up. . .
Yes, if you torque those listed spacers to normal specs they will deform, even with good spacers. It all depends on the rigidity of the double shear bracket, if you use single shear or double shear, lock nut or not, locktite or anti sieze or moly....each joint has its own situation.

If you run those size spacers, use a stover lock nut, red locktite not moly, avoid single shear, basicly minimize the clamp load, but get enough clamp load to keep the joint from moving and failing.