• Forum membership has its advantages....

HNR ... Rev, Rev 2 lite or Accel

Robin Hood

Moderators....Please leave this in Desert Racing for a week or so.

I searched the forums and there really isn't current information/opinions on the newest models of HNRs.

I am in the market for a new HNR and would appreciate real world experience and the pros and cons of the current models on the market.

scottm

I have a Rev and didn't even know about the Rev2. The minor issues I had with the rev seem to be addressed with the rev2. The MXP looks to have everything figured out as well.

Robin Hood

Come on guys there a lot of people that preach safety on hear and have a lot of experiance...do you think I could get a few more replies.

To the guys above thanks for the feed back and links. Information on other HNRs are welcome also.

dan200

#BSF200
The HYBRID is easily the best selling HNR I carry and that is for a reason. Its simpler to use but just as safe as the others on the market. and about the same price.

What i mean by simpler is- lets say you get out of the truck to change a flat- you simply unclip a single buckle that's on your chest. Without doing anything else you now have full range of motion and can do whatever you need to do without undoing your helmet clips. Basically your nice and snug HNR immediately becomes a loose fitting backpack.

So now you can get out your lounge chair and sit and wait comfortably for Rob Mac to catch back up to you.

Once he does, you let him get a little head start and then climb back in the truck, clip your chest buckle closed and your all secured again. Pull the seat belt shoulder straps over the shoulder stirrups on the restraint and tighten your belts and then you're back in the game.

All the other systems seem to require a lot more fiddling around to get in and out of the truck. The hybrid is just, faster.

If you want to come by and see for yourself, just visit me at any tech and I'll show ya.

d200

Chris Tobin

The only HNR I have used is the Hybrid. I purchased mine before the 2012 Baja 1000 and have only used it the one race so far, but it was comfortable while I was in the truck and did not impede my motion when we had our problems and I had to get out of the truck.

When we finally finish my truck and my son and I get a chance to race it we will buy another Hybrid for him...

AZ7000'

I would question the number of hybrids crossing the line or in use that are properly configured. I would bet getting both shoulder straps over the device AND in addition to fumbling with your belts adding some rings to the equation while hyperventilating is not actually faster or simpler.

I use the R3 and do not deal with the 2 additional steps, to me that is simpler. Costs more upfront though.

Bdub 1020

My kids wear a Hans , Defender and R-3. As long as it keeps your neck from snapping in a wreck its done its job. I wore a Hans also but its been a couple years since I have drove. Try some different ones and see which one is the most comfortable and works best for you in securing and getting in and out to work on vehicle. Everyone is different

dan200

#BSF200
I would question the number of hybrids crossing the line or in use that are properly configured. I would bet getting both shoulder straps over the device AND in addition to fumbling with your belts adding some rings to the equation while hyperventilating is not actually faster or simpler.

I use the R3 and do not deal with the 2 additional steps, to me that is simpler. Costs more upfront though.
The r3 is out of production though. I still have one for sale I think.

Do you use the seat pad?

I think of all the stuff out there now, the hybrid is the easiest to use, especially unassisted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ7000'

Never used the pad, bummer it isn't made anymore. Best point to me was it worked with the shoulder straps under or over.

WhiteYota

on my leatt i never even remove the clips from my helmet. I just slip the brace around my neck then get my head in in one motion. Hardest part is making sure the belts get over the lips towards the rear of the brace, but all braces have this feature. Leatt also comes with a foam pad its about an inch thick and it will add support to your helmet if youd like, ive never used it myself. Id like to try the hybrid for the hell of it to compare

Robin Hood

Thanks guys...good info.

Interesting, the hybrid was low on my list. I guess I'll have to reconsider.

Dan....why is the hybrid quicker. Isn't the rev, rev 2 and accel also like a loose backpack when the belts aren't on?

My original thoughts were/are leaning to the Accel. Unless the straps go under/through your crotch like my current D-cell I don't see how the straps help. However, the extension of the neck restraint down the chest, like the Accelerate or Hans, seems like it would help prevent the neck restraint rolling back over your shoulders as you head moves forward.

dan200

#BSF200
Thanks guys...good info.

Interesting, the hybrid was low on my list. I guess I'll have to reconsider.

Dan....why is the hybrid quicker. Isn't the rev, rev 2 and accel also like a loose backpack when the belts aren't on?

My original thoughts were/are leaning to the Accel. Unless the straps go under/through your crotch like my current D-cell I don't see how the straps help. However, the extension of the neck restraint down the chest, like the Accelerate or Hans, seems like it would help prevent the neck restraint rolling back over your shoulders as you head moves forward.
The hybrid is anchored to you at multiple points. The rev is just anchored to the helmet. They both will give you a range of motion when you aren't strapped into the seat. The hybrid however has straps that go around your body and secure it to you so it stays in place when you have it on and clipped in.

People complain to me that the rev is harder to get yourself strapped into the car with because it just dangles from the helmet. The hybrid doesn't when the chest strap is clicked closed. It makes sense they say that. I've never used it but I've had multiple people buy hybrids after owning a rev based in this complaint.

FWIW. they are both great products and both make you safer when used correctly. I just move more of the hybrids by far. I recommend getting to a dealer that sells both and trying them both. These are an expensive investment and might save your neck one day so get the one that suits you best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firedog

I use the Leatt and like White Yota leave it clipped to the helmet, not to hard to put them both on at the same time. I've had no issues with it and think it's comfortable. Haven't tried any other HNR's.

Fourstroker

Never used the pad, bummer it isn't made anymore. Best point to me was it worked with the shoulder straps under or over.
Literally just threw my R3 pad away this past weekend. Sold my HNR last year and forgot I had it. Raced with and without it. Definitely more comfortable with it

ppumper

when the hybrid is used properly, it is superior to any other HNR. the few seconds that it takes to use, could be a big factor when you have to put it to use. i only sell the hybrid with the SAS anchors. whether you use them or not is up to you.

drofmij

I started with the leatt and I hated it, wasn't comfortable and was hard to fasten to the helmet. I switched to the REV and love it. Don't notice that it is there. I have never had to get out the car yet so can't tell you how it is to change a tire with it on. If I was to buy another one I would get the rev2 lite. I could see an advantage to simpson hybrid, but its all a what you like.

robertharman

I use the Simpson Hybrid and am very happy with it.