Holding In-Tank fuel pump's in position

johndjmix

Reaction
So, took my fuel safe apart to clean it tonight (First time ever opening a fuel cell).....

The Foam looked good, which is one thing i was opening it to check.

However, it seems one of the in-tank fuel pumps had moved in such a way, the last 3 gallons or so of the tank would not get sucked out by it.

Wondering how these are typically held upright in the tank if your not using a collector. Just by the foam?

Im thinking of just making a thin stainless steel Cross shape piece, bend up the ends of the cross's on 2 sides, and hose clamping the pumps to it for a little more stability.

Comments on this idea?

--John

johndjmix

Reaction
Your setup is sweet!

Do the pumps sit literally on the bottom tightly? I'm wondering if gravity is holding a pump down if it might limit flow dunce the inlet is on the bottom and it would be sucking from the sides.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

powerbox_builder

Reaction
Yes the pumps are spring loaded and are pressed to the bottom. There is a plastic cage in the socks on the inlet of the pumps so they can draw from the sides. This is actually a very common design in factory cars, BMW, Volvo, Audi, etc. I was a little worried about abrasion on the bottom of the cell, so I check periodically, so far so good.
Rick

Reaction
Please find below another interesting fuel pick up solution:

Robby Gordon Tests The HydraMat With 1 Gallon of Fuel

Herbst-Smith Fabrication On The Holley Hydramat Fuel Pickup

johndjmix

Reaction
I like that hydramat, but not sure how you would connect it to the fuel pumps I have (sock filter on the bottom of them held in with a clip)

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
WildPowerSports.com
coolermods.com

Reaction
John, what brand and type of electric fuel pump do you run in your fuel tank? With some brands of fuel pump eg walbro you can source an extension kit which includes a fitting and clip etc thanks regards mick

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

johndjmix

Reaction
Im using TRE-341's. I came up with a way to hold them. Drew up a quick design in autocad and cut it out of 16ga stainless on my cnc.....

Once the foam is in they arent moving anywhere. Next time i pull it apart ill look for those adapters!

IMG_8590.JPG

jon coleman

Reaction
i run half inch pick up line in tank to rear ,middle of cell.fuel return line i stick right next to it, shove in foam for 5- 8 years and for get it, never half to open can.then i use external large spin on fuel( gas) filter, carter low psi hi volume to 1 ga. surge tank, 1/4 inch return reg. to 2-5 psi, surge tank thru efi hi vol filter to duel bosch efi pumps ( pri- back up)tru another efi filter to fuel rail then regulator , return to cell( that line i got teed into surge tank return also, 0 psi back to original half inch pick up in tank line.every things external and baja friendly, any pick up pump will work.most any ext.efi pump will work. leaves about 3/4 of a gallon when run out.never had an issue

jon coleman

Reaction
note
i run half inch pick up line in tank to rear ,middle of cell.fuel return line i stick right next to it, shove in foam for 5- 8 years and for get it, never half to open can.then i use external large spin on fuel( gas) filter, carter low psi hi volume to 1 ga. surge tank, 1/4 inch return reg. to 2-5 psi, surge tank thru efi hi vol filter to duel bosch efi pumps ( pri- back up)tru another efi filter to fuel rail then regulator , return to cell( that line i got teed into surge tank return also, 0 psi back to original half inch pick up in tank line.every things external and baja friendly, any pick up pump will work.most any ext.efi pump will work. leaves about 3/4 of a gallon when run out.never had an issue
no in tank filter, any junk gets caught up in that large spin on that your over paid prep guy checks( ha ha)