• Forum membership has its advantages....

Homebrew longtravel

BIG_FAT_LOSER

12" from full droop to bump. Not too bad considering I have only 9" with downey upper arms.

Using all stock parts. Only non stock part not used in some way is the upper arms and the strut bar ends. Into it about $200 so far.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
"DISCO FEVER"

sam_i

pat - looks excellent!

you got me hooked on this budget suspension deal.
I am just finishing up the rear. Spent <$150 and i have 12" travel!
I will post some pics in the next week or two, before i start on the IFS

samir

"..... damn Jimmy, that some ass good coffee"

vwguy

hey pat its looking good
is that your new toyota i hooked you up with that they are on

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

geoff

Is that Lower arm the stock arm with a bunch of material added to it?? Exactly how much did you add? Looks killer-- im going to be doing the same thing starting next week.

Mathmatics is the language of nature.

sam_i

goeff - do a search for "stock toy A arms" - Pat did describe what he did with some pics there. Actually it was my post that was supposed to be called" extending stock toy a arms" but i think i mispelled the first word

BTW: I am working on a 86 x tra cab truck and i will measure the wheelbase and let you know tonite. I dont know if it was long bed or short cause all i got was the frame, but it does not seem too long to me.

samir

"..... damn Jimmy, that some ass good coffee"

geoff

Cool thanks sam. I had searched the archives many many times and i guess just never hit that. If you have a normal cab, short bed its 103", normal cab longbed is 112" and extended cab shortbed is 112". The xtra cab longed is 121". I found the numbers in a few places and then me and my roomate got drunk and went around our neighborhood on our bmx bikes and measured our neighbors vehicles. Pretty funny actually.

so now we have data.

You can figure out what you have by the VIN. Either way it seems to be a general consensus that the longer, the better (more stability).

Mathmatics is the language of nature.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Made one arm out of two arms. Left one alone and added 6" off the other one to it. (6" longer in all) And plated all four sides. Ended up a little thick and some of the tortion arm bolts were too short, But purchased longer ones.

"DISCO FEVER"

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
ITs not the longer the better. There is a range that you want to stay between, otherewise open vehicles would have 200" wheelbases.

Kris

If you wanted a steak you shouldn't have went to McDonald's!

ntsqd

I dunno, Fuel and Alcohol Dragsters seem to work pretty well at about 300-320".......
:)

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Come on now, we're talking offroad. I dig the sarcasm though. The only offroad vehicle I have seen with a wheelbase that long was in the 80s and it was a Dick Cepek 4wd motorhome.

Did anybody go to the drags. I have been hearing them from my house...10 miles away

Kris

If you wanted a steak you shouldn't have went to McDonald's!

BIG_FAT_LOSER

I dropped the upper arms off to be gone over by someone who welds better than I do, Just waiting on them. Basicly its done just need to put it all toghther and make new upper shock mounts. I am a concerned that my tortions are not up to the task of holding the front end up. may have to go coil over. My budget is REALLY tight so if they do not work it will be longer till its on. I'll get another pic up.

<font color=yellow>Fab by travolta</font color=yellow>

Greg

Welds better than you? Thats putting some faith in me, I wont ride in it when your done!! Just kidding, I'll finish the arms tonight. You can pick them up asap. Get it done for Laughlin. "EZ-go long-travel kit".

Greg