• Forum membership has its advantages....

Homemade end mill notcher?

KillinTime

Put the endmill in the chuck, then make something to hold the tube in place of where the tool post usually is.

PDANK Racing

I used my bridgeport mill to do a # of them, works well. I didn't use a tube clamp, which would make it work better. Roughing end mills seem to work best. I've found used bridgeports from $500 to $1500, ideally you want one that comes with tooling. They are easy to learn how to use, and you'll find a bunch of other stuff to make with it.

Otherwise tube coping machines (belt sander style) work great, you might be able to find a used one for a good price.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
(Hole saws, mucho better than end mills.)

Baja Bryan

I've been doing stainless steel handrails for years and we used a horizontal mill. We found that the cheap china hole saws worked better than anything else.We have notched thousands of holes.

jeepinSD

i use my mill for complex notches. Works great if you have a vice that can rotate on the table. The downside is having the mill in an area where you can swing around a full stick if needed. I still use hole saws for the notches with the arbor in a 3/4" collet in the mill.