Homemade fab equipment, let's see it.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Good idea to start this thread. . .will get the juices flowing. . .

. . .I could post pic's of all the tools that I have made for machining if anyone is interested, but I haven't made much as far as home-made fab stuff for myself here at home yet.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
If you made it, I call that homemade... Since it didn't come from a manufacturer. I'd really like to see a press brake though. So let's see the benders, notchers, presses, and so forth. I'm building a press in a couple weeks, I'll post pix.

philofab

Powered by Optima
Reaction
I'll post some pics up tomorrow. Couple of presses and a polisher.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
I've built tons of dies/bender contraptions over the years. I'll get some pix of that stuff too. A press brake is next I think.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
I'll post some pics up tomorrow. Couple of presses and a polisher.
Cool let's see what you made to make your parts with.. Ever heard of Dave Gingery? If not check it out, some crazy $hi@t.. Like: build a metal shaper, that's used to make your mill, that's used along w/shaper to make a lathe, drill press, surface grinder etc...

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
Just google "Dave Gingery". What got me thinking about this, was "Smith Metalcraft". This guy is amazing.

philofab

Powered by Optima
Reaction

This press is made out of an OTC house jack.

Tube roller and bar twister on other side.

Louvre press, uses the interpac ram.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
Some cool stuff Philo.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
So what do you want to see next? 8' throat manual bead roller? Hyd. set up for hossfeld bender? 2' hyd brake? Hyd conversion I did on a 6' mechanical shear, and/or 4ft enco slip roll? English wheel??? So where's everyone else? You guys have never had to make anything to make your parts with?? WTF? Let's see it.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I have to bring all my stuff home from work. . .no cameras at work for me, I do have my set of 1-2-3 blocks (all sides parallell and perpendicular to 0.0001" or less. . .took a LONG time on the grinder to get that kind of precision, I don't know how they can sell sets of these with a tolerance of 0.0002" for ~$50!!!) and my 30-60-90 & 45-45-90 angle plates that I made as well. . .

. . .I have a center finder, some cutter holders for small HSS tool cutters, some home-made lathe/mill hammers, delrin file handles, carbid knife blad sharpeners, O-1 boring bars to hold HSS cutters, etc. . .

To tide you all over while I get pictures of that stuff taken here's some pic's of some hand forged tools I made about a month ago. . .made a hot-cut chisel from S7, a cold-cut chisel from 1095, and center punch from S7. . .and some practice pieces that were made out of MS just to get the hang of it. . .from L-R you have S7 center punch, practice MS center punch, S7 hot cut chisel, practice MS hot cut chisel, practice MS center punch, 1095 cold cut chisel.

Here are the most recent knives 4 of us made. . .hand forged knives made from 1080 steel, forge heat-treated, and hand tempered. . .

The first knife making from the same group of 4. . .some of these are 1085 with 2% vanadium added and the others are D2 tool steel.

mpower

Reaction
make a lot of little tooling for ramdom things . but i too would like too see some nice homemade brakes. i was thinking about acquiring some different sized brake fingers and making a brake somewhere 2' wide and able to do some more complex bends. anyways, heres some of the tools i made more recently and ill try to get some pics of some others this weekend.

been grinding my own tools instead of spending a fortune on tooling. i may only use a few times, but for the cost and time incurred thats ok.boring bar, snap-ring groover ,and o-ring groover. also a little press i made to reproduce some brackets on bmw's. the brackets are commonly damaged in an accident and the part comes with almost the whole side of the car . thank you bmw!

just some random lathe work . dimple dies for sheet metal and pucks to press spherical bearings.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Yep. . .way better to grind your own HSS cutters (at least for a small shop) than it is to buy carbide cutters (most of the time). . .plus you gain the experience and hand-eye coordination. . .

. . .in my apprenticeship we aren't even allowed to touch carbide until after we have mastered grinding HSS cutters. . .

. . .I brought a bunch of my stuff home to take pic's of today. . .I will post the pic's tomorrow. . .I can post pic's of my HSS cutters on Monday evening after I grab them from work. . .

. . .nice looking dimple dies and sheetmetal brakes is something I'm trying to learn some more about. I picked up a small brake, but it wasn't assembled and it looks like there might be some broken parts as well. . .so it might take me a while to get it together.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Here we go, some more tools that I made. . .

Here is a tool I made to remove the dent in Remington 870 magazine tubes. . .made it out of O-1 and heat treated and tempered it to 62 Rc

Here is a hand held wire brush used to remove scale from stick welds. . .works as good as a slag hammer with the added bonus of notting putting a bunch of dents in your weld.

Here are two knife sharpeners that use carbide cutters and two hand-held thread chasers that also use carbide inserts. . .you can chase threads by hand spinning the part in the lathe or you can do it with the lathe running. Works really well to clean up the bottom of your threads if your carbide insert chipped or to just get dirt/debris out of used threaded fasteners.

Here are two boring bars made out of O-1, they are designed to hold ground HSS cutters, and the other is a hand-held countersink. . .it uses a HSS or carbid countersink. . .works really well to deburr/break the edges of drilled holes when you don't need a full-on countersink

Here are the 1-2-3 blocks I mentioned earlier. . .

The 30-60-90 & 45-90-45 angle plates. . .

and the datum pin (smaller diameter pin) and grinding arbor (larger pin)

Small machinist hammer with replaceable brass and delrin hammer heads. . .made this useing 1/2"-13 TPI coupling nut; I have an even smaller one I used 1/4"-20 TPI coupling nut on.

HSS lathe cutter holders and vise insert used to hold irregular saw-cut material in a milling vise.

Pipe/Tube deburring tool with HSS inserts.

Aluminum center scribe using dowel pins, single-point diamond dresser holder, and aluminum allen key holder.

mpower

Reaction
wow! . you sir , are on a level of craftsmanship i dream of.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Here's a delrin piston installer that I forgot about. . .

a little big probably, but it was one of the first things that I ever made for myself. . .live and learn, plus I can always turn it down and modify it.

DesertGuy1

Reaction
After being sidelined on the road south of Puertocitos, came home and made a U-Joint "field tool", basically a strike and pedestal used as a whacker-outer-er-er. Pedestal on ground and the "strike cap" on top... cap of U-Joint goes up into strike cap protecting needle bearings from dirt and such. Tools and/or tooling made from the scrap pile are the best...

...nice tooling there atomic, really diggin' the knives.