homemade watercooled tig??

Racebug1098

I'm looking for ideas to make my air-cooled tig torch watercooled. I'm thinkin a water tank and a fish aquarium pump and just letting it circulate through the torch. Of course I would have to get a water-cooled torch first. Any input?

Chase 2

Yeah its pretty simple to do. I know a guy who actually ran his through a small radiator, but he did a lot of aluminum plate.

philofab

Powered by Optima
Use an old electric fan and a heater core/trans cooler/evap. Whatever you have laying around. Go to an RV store and get a Sureflo pump... a lot of guys use them on intercoolers for turbo stuff. I've been using a 50/50 mix of antifreeze for years and not had problems. Most welders have provisions to power a cooler so you don't forget to turn it on and blow a line. Don't forget to have something to allow the coolant to expand from heat like a reservoir.

Racebug1098

I'm just thinkin of something for my little home tig which is only a Miller econotig, so it doesn't take much to overheat it because of duty cycle, so I don't even plan on running any heat exchanger. 10 or 15 gallons of water will take a while to heat up. Its just for every once in a while for little stuff like welding up some beadlocks or something aluminum like that that I really need it.

DBMETALWORX

I used a pump from grainger, a regulator set @ 50 psi, and a trans cooler mounted on the back of the machine where the fan blows through it, and a 7 gal. Stainless tank... Works great..

philofab

Powered by Optima
I'm just thinkin of something for my little home tig which is only a Miller econotig, so it doesn't take much to overheat it because of duty cycle, so I don't even plan on running any heat exchanger. 10 or 15 gallons of water will take a while to heat up. Its just for every once in a while for little stuff like welding up some beadlocks or something aluminum like that that I really need it.
You don't need to run a closed system then. I've known people who use tap water and plumb the run off to a drain.

DBMETALWORX

PICS?/ Schematics PLEASE
WELL I DON'T KNOW HOW TO POST THE PIX OR DIAGRAM, SO I'LL GO STEP BY STEP.. 1ST FOR A TANK, YOU MEASURE LxWxH, IN INCHES DIVIDED X 231. THIS WILL GIVE YOU GALLONS OF VOLUME. MAKE IT A LITTLE BIGGER THAN DESIRED VOLUME, FOR EXPANSION.. FOR PLUMBING, I WELD IN 1/4 NPT FEMALE FITTINGS, THAT WAY YOU CAN USE DIFFERENT HOSE SIZES IF NEEDED, THEN I RUN 1/2" HOSE FROM THE BOTTOM/ SIDE OF TANK TO PUMP INPUT.. FROM PUMP OUT TO REGULATOR IN. REG SHOULD HAVE A RETURN, TAKE THIS BACK TO THE TANK.. PRESSURE OUT OF REG TO YOUR TORCH.. DON'T BE SCARED TO USE HOSE BARB FITTINGS.. A WATER COOLED TORCH COMES A DIAGRAM FOR HOOKING IT UP .. AS WELL AS EXTRA PARTS THAT ARE NEEDED, THERES 1 FITTING MOST OF THE TIME.. NOW TAKE YOUR RETURN FROM THE TORCH TO THE COOLER THEN BACK TO THE TANK.. ITS EASIER THAN IT SOUNDS.. I USE A WELDCRAFT WP20 TORCH.. HOPE THIS GETS YOU GOIN....

DBMETALWORX

you don't need to run a closed system then. I've known people who use tap water and plumb the run off to a drain.
if you have hard water with lots of minerals and or salt like i do here, don't use this method unless you purge your lines after each use. Or you get crusty build-up and restriction, which leads to less cooling, and blown lines.... These machines are expensive, so i only use distilled water mixed 50/50 w/antifreeze.. But yes this does work without heating problems for a while...

Brock_Beeson

WELL I DON'T KNOW HOW TO POST THE PIX OR DIAGRAM, SO I'LL GO STEP BY STEP.. 1ST FOR A TANK, YOU MEASURE LxWxH, IN INCHES DIVIDED X 231. THIS WILL GIVE YOU GALLONS OF VOLUME. MAKE IT A LITTLE BIGGER THAN DESIRED VOLUME, FOR EXPANSION.. FOR PLUMBING, I WELD IN 1/4 NPT FEMALE FITTINGS, THAT WAY YOU CAN USE DIFFERENT HOSE SIZES IF NEEDED, THEN I RUN 1/2" HOSE FROM THE BOTTOM/ SIDE OF TANK TO PUMP INPUT.. FROM PUMP OUT TO REGULATOR IN. REG SHOULD HAVE A RETURN, TAKE THIS BACK TO THE TANK.. PRESSURE OUT OF REG TO YOUR TORCH.. DON'T BE SCARED TO USE HOSE BARB FITTINGS.. A WATER COOLED TORCH COMES A DIAGRAM FOR HOOKING IT UP .. AS WELL AS EXTRA PARTS THAT ARE NEEDED, THERES 1 FITTING MOST OF THE TIME.. NOW TAKE YOUR RETURN FROM THE TORCH TO THE COOLER THEN BACK TO THE TANK.. ITS EASIER THAN IT SOUNDS.. I USE A WELDCRAFT WP20 TORCH.. HOPE THIS GETS YOU GOIN....
sounds like my next project... any p#'s for quality reglators and pumps.

Wild bill

Real simple......Use a 3 gallon detergent bucket with lid, a 110v fountain pump from Lowe's, 3 gallon of RV coolant, 110v household light switch, switch box, and tubing. Get your welding shop to help you with the correct fitting to plum the torch to the bucket and you are golden. Cost you about $50 plus torch and fittings.

DBMETALWORX

sounds like my next project... Any p#'s for quality reglators and pumps.
my pump is a little giant # m532921, model 35-om. The regulator is from a cottonpicker... Lol.. I'm sure you can find 1 in the grainger catalog...

loufish

You don't need to run a closed system then. I've known people who use tap water and plumb the run off to a drain.
My first TIG welder used a "total loss" type system...The only time I've had torch heat issues was when welding aluminum....Buried the pedal pretty deep sometimes....

philofab