Honda MTB?

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
I saw that thing in an article awhile back and man is it sweet! I want one!!!

michael_loomis

crazy lookin seat i might add .... some kind of birth control device ?

Kbach66

That's actually an older model...earlier stage of proto development. The bike was just raced up in canada last weekend, and then overnighted to LA. We took it up to Snow Summit monday to do some ride evaluations. I'm hoping that it goes into production....it works f'in awesome. Only thing is that price may be a little steep for the average racer....but we'll see.

homey

I'm sure the cost is MORE than a brand new CRf450! They actually have an oil filled transmission from what I hear...can't read Japanese too well!

Gabe Lara

Reminds me of the old Cannondale Fulcrums the Volvo/ Cannondale team was racing DH a few years ago.
(Remember those John?)

I wonder what it pedals like... They need to ditch those 6 inch rotors too.

Pretty slick ride, though. Anyone have more info?

-Gabe

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Damn, and it isn't clicky either... Guess you have to copy and paste. What am I doing wrong? The image is hosted?

[/ QUOTE ]

the hosting site probably doesnt allow remote linking, so i made it an attachmentment.

Attachments

martininsocal

Is it pretty much a downhill bike? Seems heavy for anything else(maybe except as a poser for "look at the money I can spend on a bike to cruise Venice with...")

Gabe Lara

Surely a Downhill bike, Martin.
But you'd get alot of attention in Venice.

And it being a prototype from Honda and all, a price tag of about, hmmm, anywhere between$8k to 15k.
Keep in mind, your average "off the shelf" (Foes, Intense, Turner, Dirt Works) DH bike loaded is gonna run you an easy $5-$6k, so...

-Gabe

Kbach66

I couldn't see the pic of kritter posted, but if it's still a painted frame, it's the old one. The new one is all polished.

As for what it pedals like.....it kicks ass. It's super smooth, flawless shifting. As for the brakes....they're unbelievable. I've spent hours trying to get my hope 4 piston dh brakes to feel good, and the brakes on the honda bike put them to shame, effortless one finger braking without the feeling that you're going to lock up the brakes.

It's a full on race ready bike. It's performance is definitely better than some of the factory bikes out now. I'm trying to get everybody here fired up on producing it so that I can become the MTB segment test leader and go to Big Bear everyday instead of doing the watercraft deal.....even though I can't complain too much about that!

Gabe Lara

Kevin,
So no pedal bob when hammering?
What kind of brakes are they running? Any brake jack when on 'em hard going into a turn?

Yes, I want to ride it!

-Gabe

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Are you doing the testing at irvine lakes for the new honda motors?

I didnt post a picture...notsure who you were referring to.

Kbach66

No....I wasn't out there testing. I did go out there one day a couple of months ago just to see the operation.

It isn't testing for new motors....it was just a deal where the EPA wanted to inspect 8 engines after they acquired 125 or more hours. I did meet and interview a few of the "riders" and boy were they some interesting people!!!!

homey

So is Honda going to try to sell these bikes alongside their motorcycles? I heard they started up the bike division to test the durability of the aluminum frame and also to test new alloys.

That frame should have no brake jack if the linkage is set up properly which it looks to be since the chain has rollers set up to compensate for "pedal bob".

A comperable downhill bike would set you back more in the $8k range, not $5-6k.

empire231

for that $$$ i would rather go down a hill on my CR250, and that only cost $5,700. + it has a motor

martininsocal

kbach- there is no energy loss while pedaling? Are they using a rear suspension lockout for that? If it is a downhill bike, then the pedaling isn't that big a deal. I have seen some of the rider systems to lock the rear suspension while cros countrying, but think there has to be a better way. On another tangent, why hasn't anyone tried a monotube fork assembly with a one sided hube to save weight?