Honor

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I just got burned in the classifieds by a guy who said that he would trade his 2/1600 car for my prerunner. I am not much of a whiner, but when a desert familia guy comes down to OC from the high desert and shakes my hand and says 'deal' then it is a deal. I didn't even get to carefully inspect his rig...but he got to thoroughly go throuh my prerunner. He did this in front of his 19 year old kid, only to brown on me. What message did this send to his kid?

I know I can repost my prerunner, but I have totally blown off at least a dozen people who where interested. No bueno!

I have always been a man of principle and legally a verbal contract is...well a contract!

I know times are tough for all of us...but the one thing we can't sacrifice is our ethics.

MP

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
which truck was urs?

craigincali

Reaction
Maybe he didnt like your truck.....??? It happens all the time. Seriously, how many times have we all been burned??? It is nothing new.

Last edited:

EUGENIO_979

Reaction
I wouldnt call it being burned:confused:........things change and people are unpredictable! At least you were not "ripped off", right?

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
that sux man but at least u didnt get ripped off... just let the ad run some more and u will get sum bites...

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
You are right...'burned' is not the right word. Screwed is more like it.

He LOVED my truck and he said would 'take it.' Not some kid, but a 40 something year old man who effectively said, it is ok to go back on HIS word in front of HIS kid. If you want to know what is wrong with the America, it isn't Democrats, Obama, or anything...it is people with NO ethics.

I love desert people because they are honest...but then there is this TOOL.

I still have dez faith...but this was the first chink...

PK CINCO

Reaction
Bajaxp,
dont let it dnf your day, same thing happened to me, drove my bitchin xj 2 hrs across the dez to meet some dude that was " i have to have your rig, tonight" meet me 1/2 way with the title and i will bring cash.......in the middle of the night he bailed out , i had the wife follow in the truck ,
thinking it was a done deal,.......dude was some flippin tweaked out wierdo, even is buddy was like, whats up ? Shakin his head....as we are a tight group and will help ea other out , there is the % that makes the rest of us look good.......ease up on yourself, re-post the pre-runner and the phone will ring,......you'll get to the race track soon enough, patience..
You will see his cat again,......he will know......carma,baby carma....

AND IT WAS PROBIBLY FOR THE BEST ANYWAYS,......ALWAYS IS.

Gadzooks2

Reaction
Hey it could have been worse, the deal could have gone thru and you would have become a "Buggy Dork"!:eek:

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
AND IT WAS PROBIBLY FOR THE BEST ANYWAYS,......ALWAYS IS.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY!!! the guys 1600 could have been a total ROACH COACH.... could have been a huge problem right from the start! the world has a funny way of lettin u know when 2 pull out... n this case he bailed on u releasing u from a potentially S_H_I_T_Y situation.... ur better off, a sweeter deal will present itself.....

I HATE THE SMALL PERCENTAGE of the desert community that gives THE REST OF US A BAD WRAP!!!!

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
Hey it could have been worse, the deal could have gone thru and you would have become a "Buggy Dork"!:eek:

it seems like he is seeing the light since his ad says WILL TRADE FOR A 1600!!! buggy dorks unite!!!

Jeepspeedster

Reaction
There are only two happy days owning a buggy, the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
Take this as your 2nd chance and keep you prerunner. Buggies, specialy 1600 cars, are expensive to run and maintain.
Just my 2 cent

Reaction
Matt,

Since you had not inspected his car, didn't you retain the right to back out of the trade if you didn't like the car? In any case, I think you are better off.

If you want to race, join a team. There's always somebody looking for racing funds! Good Luck!

manchaman

Reverse Engineer
Reaction
Not sure I see the problem. He changed his mind, had a change of heart, found someone to give him cash for his car, whatever. Sucks for you, but this is not an ethical problem. Hell, I've had a dozen people say they want to buy my motorcycles and then back out at the last minute. Happens all the time. A handshake or someone's word is not contractually binding - cash and/or a transferred title are.

Tipracer

Reaction
Just be glad you didnt lose anything except time..or end up with a car that was not of equal value.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Not sure I see the problem. He changed his mind, had a change of heart, found someone to give him cash for his car, whatever. Sucks for you, but this is not an ethical problem. Hell, I've had a dozen people say they want to buy my motorcycles and then back out at the last minute. Happens all the time. A handshake or someone's word is not contractually binding - cash and/or a transferred title are.

Actually a verbal contract is as legally binding as a written one.

Thanks for all of the kind words, and yes I already race, and have for a long time...but RH seat. I was looking for LH seat. :)

Petepecas

Reaction
ouch!
I hear you....I would be POd also....

MX808

Reaction
I have been burnt as well. I had a straight trade for my 650. I drove 5 hours to avenal to make the trade after the guy said it was a done deal. He shows up with the bike and we unload and start them the usaul stuff then as I am getting my pink slip out his dad who came with him said that he didnt want to do the deal. However i wasnt too upset the guy gave me 50$ for the gas money to get down there. O well again it could have been a lot worse. Good luck on getting your 1600 car there a blast.