hoop/spring question, help my ignorance

PBC_Tacoma_Kid

Reaction
Ok heres the deal, I have a toyota tacoma and i am having a rear shock hoop installed on it. This shock hoop is already on another truck but its going to be transplanted on to my truck. Anyways this hoop is setup running 14in stroke king shocks and stock length deaver springs. I am trying to budget and not spend my $ all at once so I would like to just upgrade a little at a time. I was thinking i could just use stock springs for the time being instead of the deaver custom pack and upgrade later BUT I was told this would not work. If so can someone explain exactly why? I dont see how it would be any different then having deavers strapped off at say 10in of travel instead of the full 14 or 15inches. the only difference I see is the deavers will pull more travel then the stockers but the 14in shocks are plenty long so the wont over extend.
Thanks
Brandon

ntsqd

Reaction
Ideally a damper is tuned to the whole suspension package. Part of that package is what ever spring rate the springs used have. If you change the spring rate for what ever reason, the dampers will work, but they will no longer be optimized. If the change is radical enough the dampers may not function very well or they may be over worked. Depends on the amount and the direction of the change.
Whether that is what the person who told you they wouldn't work was thinking or if they know something further that I don't (a distinct possibility), I don't know.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

gary

Reaction
maybe the person who told you it wouldn't work was thinking you meant 62 inch deavers, or something longer like that? as long as the shock doesn't over compress or extend itself, you should be fine. double check that on the compression, when you install the hoop, so the shocks aren't damaged when you bottom out the suspension. you'll most likely have to play with the shock valving when you switch to the new springs, but that's to be expected. you also might need to run limit straps with the new springs, if they allow more droop than your shocks can handle.
i had a hoop thru my bed with 18 inch shocks on it for a while before i finally got the 62 inch deavers and put them on...what a difference in performance!! the shock was nowhere near using all it's droop, but the ride was still 10 times better than before. 2.5 shocks work wonders, i think, especially if you play with the valving a bit....

orvacian

Reaction
The shocks will work fine but the difference between the stock springs and the Deavers is not just 4" of travel. The ride will be completely different and the truck will suck up big hits significantly better without having to have a lot of compression valving in the shocks. Once you set up your shocks so you won't bottom out in the rear with stock springs, the ride will be realy harsh and the rear wheels will be bouncing off the ground with every small bump. I would wait and do it all at the same time. Put the shock hoop in the garage and wait to get the springs. It will save you time AND money to do it once!
Just my opinion though, I allready did EXACTLY what you are talking about doing about a year ago. Now I have the 62" Deavers I wish I would have done that from the beginning!

schafer

Reaction
Good you listened to me :) Ok I told you that it was a bad idea, not doable, what im looking at is, what if you put the shock hoop on and the shocks, now your running stock leaves, isnt the person your are buying it from running stockers too, well if he is and you put deavers on there, whats to say you wont get more travel than what the setup was ment for, this means you have to cut it off relocate stuff and put it back on, not fun right, yes you can run limiting straps and should in actuality, but why limit it if with the bypasses and everything and setup right you can get more travel?

thats why i was telling you to WAIT until you hve the deavers to make sure everything fits. otherwise why waste the time, yes it would be nice to upgrade it but having it done once and right is better than having to work twice as hard to redo it right? Anyway either way you go, send me some pics when you get it done, i want to see how it comes out.

L8r
Corey

Corey Schafer
tmcorey@ttora-socal.com

cleartoy

Reaction
Its nice to have a long term goal or plan and stick to it. If you think you will upgrade to diff springs in say 6 months or less, id say wait. If you are talking a year or more, then just follow the plan that you have now.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??