Horse Power

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
What is the cheapest and easiest way to get more hosre power outa a 4 banger? I know of things like exhaust, cold air intake, maybe a chip, but what else is there to give me some more HP i think my truck only has like 120HP. How realistic is it o expect to get 200 out of it with maybe a little bit of motor mods? Or should i just wait a little longer till its paid off and get something different. its a 2000 s10 witht he 2.2L 4 cylinder.

Gregg

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
that sucks, i am in the same situation as you, i have a 2.4 L 4cyl. tacoma. once i get some money i am going to put a v8 in it. the best thing too give a lot of horsepower for my engine is a turbo. i am not sure if it is the same with yoru truck but vortech probably makes a supercharger. that is kind of costly though, maybe do some head work or somthing

Tha Realest

cleartoy

Reaction
To get 200 out of a 2.2 means you need forced induction. Turbo, or blower, maybe with NOS.

I dont know of a header(ive talked to you about this before), so get larger exhaust behind the cat, cam, intake, larger throttle body and throttle body spacer, chip. Thats probably max for bolt ons with no internal work.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
200 out of a chevy 4 banger wont come cheap at all. Look at spending about 10-15k for a naturally aspirated motor...probably more but that was an estimate...swap a 4.3 in for a couple grand.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

cleartoy

Reaction
Yup, WFL can get a turbo for his from EL Prototypes that will clear 200.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

rdc

Reaction
cleartoy, do you know the about the elprototypes turbo, cuz i had no idea they make one for my engine. check out LC Engineering.com they have everythign that you could want for a toy motor. turbos to exhaust to blocks.

Tha Realest

rdc

Reaction
Lcengineering has a turbo that will give you 450 horses!!

Tha Realest

geoff

Reaction
if you are interested in turbocharging...

Its a GREAT way to increase power output, if youre not a racer. If you race this is not an option. For anyone just looking to have some fun in the desert, there is nothing like boost. You can reliably make 300 whp on a responsive well designed turbo system in a desert truck. That is MORE than enough HP to haul ass and would put you in the 12s on a drag strip. A nice t3t04e, 57 trim, .82 a/r on a stage 3 exh wheel and decent fuel mgt and youre all set.

heres a setup i finished today, it will put down 700whp in a street driven honda civic, at 35 lbs of boost.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

geoff

Reaction
nitrous wont make peak power, and wont make high end power, it just BUMPS up the low end. Probably not gonna do 200 with it, however

dont call it NOS, its nitrous =P

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

cleartoy

Reaction
You can go to www.elprototypes.com and get more info. Yeah, LC has a nice kit as well.

NOS can mean Nitrious Oxide System(s). You could also say N2O for 2 atoms of Nitrious(plural) and 1 atom of Oxygen(singular=Oxide). Im aware that people dont like the slang NOOOSSSS like the movie.

What kind of fuel do you run @35lbs?

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

geoff

Reaction
I was just kidding about the NOS comment, dumb movie reference joke.

as far as LC goes, i really dont like the quality of their manifold. Poor quality thin mild steel, awful collector and poor wastegate placement.

If you guys can fab up all yoru own suspension stuff, manifolds are CAKE compared to stuff that moves around!!

i looked at el prototypes and all i saw were some over priced pieces of rice equipment.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
I would love to be able to race my truck in a few years so the turbo, or superchager and NOS isnt really an option. I was really thinking about the 4.3 L in like a year or two and that is probably what im going to do. Anyone know of a place to get a complete 4.3L for relativly cheap. i whave seen them and the dealer has them for like i think 4grand. my friends dad works ant GMC and said he can get me an aluminum block 4.3 for aroung 10 grand. But i guess the dream of 200 HP is just that guess ill have to live with it for a few years. thanks for the info.

Gregg

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
They are in the classifieds here on Race-Dezert every once in awhile. Keep checking back and you might pick up one for a killer deal.

drtdevil93

Reaction
if you want to swap in a motor much bigger and heavier than what is there, go ahead. on the tacoma, the toyota head design has a LOT of potential in it. LC does now carry a full line of products for tacomas including built heads, which is where you need to start. put a good head on it, do all the intake stuff, good flowing exhaust, and get the computer to work (stand alone, jet, or venom or viper or whatever it is). you may also want to do a little boring or stroking of the bottom end, but you dont have to. remember horsepower is made in the head!! increasing flow into and out of the head without increasing flow in the head (porting, cam, and valves) is like putting a 1000 cfm dominator carb on a stock 350. ok, not quite like that, but it just doesnt sit well with me to do half of something. or you could put a v8 in it, whatever.

im putting a hot 22r in my truck, and i cant wait to take it right to the 8500 rpm limiter and power shift it as hard as a toy trans will take. wahoo!

erik

ntsqd

Reaction
Erik, you need to bolt in the Supra trans. Made for a lot more power than a 22R can make. Get the right one and it's close ratio too.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
"im putting a hot 22r in my truck, and i cant wait to take it right to the 8500 rpm limiter and power shift it as hard as a toy trans will take. wahoo!"

Hey, I used to do that all the time in My old toy. I also went through a lot of transmission's too.....

drtdevil93

Reaction
i almost had it, i broke my trans awhile ago (not its fault, seal leaked all the fluid out). i do everything through anaheim gear, i had 2 weeks to get it together, but they werent able to find the 22ret bellhousing that you need to hook the bigger trans up. so in went a stock one. i have a feeling the trans will be fine. they said it should hold up just fine, and i tortured my old one and it lasted 130,000 miles. i guess i will find out if it can hold up or not.

erik