• Forum membership has its advantages....

Hot or Cold Rolled

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
When boxing in a part or making tabs, shock mounts, or anything out of plate should you use hot or cold rolled steel? How about 4130 plate?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Fill out your profile and you will get more info.

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

BradM

What do you really want to know? Boxing plates, tabs, and mounts are all different applications and may require different materials and certainly different thicknesses. It sounds like you really want an education on different grades of steel. Be more specific and fill out your profile and I will answer if no one else does.

John, <font color=yellow>Profile Police</font color=yellow>... you kill me!

Build 'em light, wind 'em tight

FABRICATOR

I was going to post this earlier but decided against it... However, since we're on a roll, there are three basic rules to metallurgy. They are (like so many other things mentioned here) application, application, and application.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

rdc

Re: What do you really want to know? Boxing plates, tabs, and mounts

I was interested in all of the listed aspects, but specifically what kind of metal plate too use for each instance. Information on the different grades would be great too.

By the way what does your profile have to do with getting a response to your post (Just curious)?...maybe the PROFILE POLICE can answer that one!

John Bitting

Administrator
Rossco people want to know who they are talking to thats all, put a real name to an alias used on the board. To know there is a real person behind the login.. And I am suppose to ban people after 72 hours if they have not filled out there profile. I just have not did it yet. I want everyone to have a chance in case there lives are as hectic as ours around here..

Waldo

Safehouse
When boxing plates, make sure to place the plate in a position where it is easy to get at. Then you step in the direction of the plate and punch with the opposite hand of your leg you are stepping with. Next when a quick straght punch is thrown it is called a TAB. And finally when your plate is on the ground and you pin it down it is called a...well, you get the idea!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

sirhk100

Man Baja, that was soooo enlightening!1 Now I know why you're using that pic under your name. J/K :)

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart

Waldo

Safehouse
Thought I would toss in some humor for my boring day...I have been doin' paper work almost all day! How do you like your 400, I saving my cents for a CRF450 but man they are goig for about $6300. I might have to consider a 4-stk Yammy!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

sirhk100

Oh man, I won't go back to a 250 2 stroke!! I love the bike. Everyone whines about the starting problems. Me, I can start mine within 3 kicks if it's been sitting a month. 2 at the most after a crash. If you're racing it the starting could be an issue cause there is definately a routine to start it that could cost you precious time. I havn't had a single problem with mine either and it's been the most maintenance free bike I've owned. Change the oil regularly, clean the air filter and ride it. I ride motocross tracks, big bear single track trails, Glamis, and lots of Ocotillos Wells/Superstition area. I'll definately be holding on to it for a few more years or at least till I've got my suspension on the Exploder done. I'm really anxious to see how the new CRF450s do. I was at the track about a month ago and Transworld MX magazine was there testing one. They were better riders then me and could do the 1 jump that I'm still too scared to do. The bike looked REALLY nice adn smooth but I was able to pull it coming out of a corner the 4 times I had the opportunity to. I was surprised by that because the '00/'01 YZ426 will pull mine out of a corner so I'm sure it would have blown it away that time. Then again I"m used to my bike and know how to ride it so I'm not taking that as a bad sign cause as far as I know that could have been the guys first couple laps on the bike.

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

BradM

All right, that's half of what I asked for. Since John also dubbed me <font color=yellow>Profile Police</font color=yellow> I guess I'll hold out for more info. I don't mean to be a d*ck, it's just that I am good at it and I want to know who I am talking to.

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

rdc

Steels that are cold rolled are stronger than steels that are hot rolled, although welding will anneal a steel in that area. Cold rolled steels are also less stable if doing a lot of machining on them, they have more internal stress than hotworked steel. Also colled rolled steels don't have the scale crap all over the outside of them which makes them easier to work with. Carbon steels will have the designation 10xx (such as 1018 and 1040) the steels that have the designation 41xx such as your 4140 are steels that are high in chromium and molybdenum which makes them very tough and much stronger than your average 1040 steel. The last two digits are the carbon content ex.4140 has a .4% carbon content. I'm not a guru on fabricating but I do know steels, hope this helps.

journeyman

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I find the profile to be important due to the fact that explanations will be different for people of different backgrounds or knowledge. Some people don't know I failed spelling and some know a lot. Profiles give the opportunity to base a reply geared toward the initial poster and also help us see what kind of person you are.

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

vwguy

baja i would definetly wait for the cr450f it is one bad bike
what do you plan to do with the bike

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

Waldo

Safehouse
I mainly trail ride and race selected GP's but want to get back to MX tracks for night practice. That's fun and is good conditioning. Saddleback is close to my house but it doesn't look like it is going to open back up. It was open for Labor Day weekend and then the Irvine Company threw some legal I failed spelling at them owners and it was shut down immediately.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

sirhk100

That whole Saddleback situation sucks!!! I was stoked to have a track 15 minutes from work. Too bad.
Baja, have you ridden the Yamaha 426? I honestly couldn't imagine a better bike. I'm sure the CR450 is going to be an awesome bike but I just don't see it killing the '02 Yamaha 426. What's crazy is that reports say that yamaha has had an insanly revised bike in their shop but there hasn't been any competition or reason to release it. Now with the new Honda coming out I wouldn't be surprised if the '03 Yamaha is a completely different bike. I'm always amazed at how much some bikes change over 2-3 years. My bike is fast as hell but compared to the '01 426 it's slow.

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

Waldo

Safehouse
Yes, I've riddent the 426. It was fun and the power is a little different than what I am used to (CR 500). The Yam is a well balanced machine and the hop-ups are endless on it. For the reason of $ I might end up buying a used 426 with some mods. The deals will be better after the CRF comes out. I hear the Yam has already built a 450 motor and it will be nice as well. There should be come good competition in the next years to come. 4-strokes are coming back to racing and will probably lead the MX world in sales in the near future. I remember when the 400 Yammy came out and it was the I failed spelling. Now the technology is awsome and getting better.

I have second hand knowledge that Saddleback will probably never re-open. The Irvine company got a junction or something to stop them from operating. There was a grading permit issue and an issue regarding RV use and its definition with Irvine lake. Motorcycles weren't listed as RV's in the Irvine lake use plan or something and thus someone found a way to stop good hearted MXing. BASTARDS!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

sirhk100

That whole Saddleback is the story of our recreation. People that have something against motorized vehicle will spend all hours of the day looking for the tinyest loophole mistake to anil us on and get us kicked out. I for one see the deserts eventually be closed but will not stop going out there and doing as I please. I currently obay the laws and stay out of closed areas because those that don't are the ones leading to closures. Once everything is closed though it seems to me that that would mean everything becomes open because no matter where I go I'll be breaking the law.

I've always been a Honda fan and will closely look over the new CR but am going to wait a year or two to think about purchasing one. I can guarantee that the 4 strokes will take over the industry. The instant on of the top riders jump on it like Charmicheal or McGrath it will explode!!! Who knows, with Charmicheal going to Honda this could happen soon if the new CR450 is what we all hop it's going to be. Like you said though, the technology is going ot explode and they are only going to get lighter and faster!!!

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

Waldo

Safehouse
I read an interview with Carmichael about going to Ride Red and he stated he will not race the CRF in SX or MX but given the chance (I think if he wins the title(s)) he would like to race the 4stk. Give it a few years and the 2stk will be outlawed. Funny, motorcycle racing began with 4stks and then went to 2stks. Now it is happening in reverse!

BRAAAAAAAAP!