housing pitting

mpower

Reaction
was wondering about rock pitting on differiential housings becoming source of fracture.

my housing on my tacoma has gotten a lot of rock pitting mainly along the front botton edge of housing, am now concerned that with the harder and harder im pushing my truck that the pitting along with light surface rust on the pits will be a possible source of fracture.

what do you guys do with a brand new housing to keep pitting to a minimum?
if integrity is lost from the pitting can anthing be done to restore that integrity besides gusseting the housing?
im shure housings with 1/4" walls is not a problem, but i would think that oem housings can suffer greatly from this , i hate to say it "damage"

Dezertpilot

Reaction
I dont think you have to worry to tell you the truth. Is this a stock type housing? If so Id be more concerned with out right breakage of the housing not pitting causing failure.

maxyedor

Reaction
I wouldn't worry about that either. Unlike a 300m axle shaft on a buggy, it's going to bend long before those rock hits lead to fractures, they're stamped 3/16 or 1/4 mild steel, very soft and not prone to fracturing. Now if you put a good dent or two in it, that's when it's time to worry, both about your housing and your driving, hitting rocks fast enough to dent a housing takes talent.

Giant Geoff

Reaction
Nothing to be concerned about. If the stock housing last you 2 years? that’s great, if you bend it put a other stock one in and go 2 more years.
I have a 1/2“ deep dent in the face of my housing and my friend has a 1” deep dent in he’s.

mpower

Reaction
ok thanks guys . i guess its not as much as a concern as i thought. i guess its just one of those things that wont be a problem untill it breaks.