Housing Straightness Question

Dumfast

Reaction
Probably a dumb question but..I have a Tubeworks chromoly rear housing that I have welded trusses/braces on to...Do I really need to have it straightened now?..I know its not scientific but when I sight down the outside from tube to tube both top and bottom it looks dead straight on...IF it is say a 1/4" out, what problem would that cause?..I mean don't Nascar and others build some toe in on their axle tubes?

sickrick

Reaction
Put the axles into it. Then install the drive flanges if the go on with no problems you should be fine.

manicmechanic

Reaction
Put the axles into it. Then install the drive flanges if the go on with no problems you should be fine.
Im with rick here, my bronco had a bent tube that you could see with carefull inspection and never had a problem. If everything fits run it. Even if it was perfectly strait it wouldnt be!!

Giant Geoff

Reaction
Probably a dumb question but..I have a Tubeworks chromoly rear housing that I have welded trusses/braces on to...Do I really need to have it straightened now?..I know its not scientific but when I sight down the outside from tube to tube both top and bottom it looks dead straight on...IF it is say a 1/4" out, what problem would that cause?..I mean don't Nascar and others build some toe in on their axle tubes?
Your right, you can sight the inside to see if it’s bent, but more important, move your view 360* around the whole inner surface to get a better prospective, so you’ll know if it’s bent for sure and not just sight 1 surface that will make the housing look useable. If you can see it’s off some I would not sweet it, if it’s has and obvious carve to it, you can strip out the spool or drive plates over time.

My truck was bent 1/2" and it would strip a spool once a year with low horse power and a lot of dirt miles on it. High HP you kill some thing in 2-4 trips, but you’ll still have one "tire fire" to get you back to the camping spot and get it on to the trailer.

Dumfast

Reaction
Thanks everyone...Was looking for a dose of common sense