how can i keep my truck safe???

Igino

Reaction
Hey guys - i'm staying overnight in barstow before the Lucerne 250 this weekend. All i have is a flatbed trailer, so the truck is gonna be pretty exposed. The best option i can think of is to ask my brother to just stay up all night with his "universal translator". This is our first race, so i'm not too familiar with what guys do. Any tips?

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
Hey guys - i'm staying overnight in barstow before the Lucerne 250 this weekend. All i have is a flatbed trailer, so the truck is gonna be pretty exposed. The best option i can think of is to ask my brother to just stay up all night with his "universal translator". This is our first race, so i'm not too familiar with what guys do. Any tips?
pull the distributor cap, or a "club" works too.

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
-definately cable lock through everything valuable

-Make friends with the local Barstow race teams who have big back yards and dont mind guests as long as you bring the beer and carne asada.

Igino

Reaction
i'm more worried of someone snatching the shocks / radio or anything else. I guess i could take it all inside with me, but that would introduce a ton more variable at 4am before the race. i guess this is a problem with no good solution....

brad inch

Reaction
leave your car on the trailer and have someone sleep in the back of your truck,they will full it move if someone steps on trailer,have fun

SteveS

Reaction
Make sure you tarp the whole thing , and use rope and duct tape . TWEEKERS SUCK

Ziggy

Reaction
Got a dog?
I will prolly bring my pit(pardon the pun)bull with me to all the races to watch the truck.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Make sure you tarp the whole thing , and use rope and duct tape . TWEEKERS SUCK
This idea works really well. Out of sight out of mind...

If someone is lookin to snake something off of it they will likely be discouraged by it being wrapped up. It won't stop a determined thief but look at it like this...

A guy is lookin to steal yer shocks. He approaches the truck and is doin a little inspection makin sure he has the right tools etc. If you or someone else see's him he can use the excuse "It's a cool truck, I was just checkin it out"

If the truck is wrapped up anyone besides you shouldn't be messin with it. Ya don't just start lookin under tarps to check stuf out unless you have ulterior motives.

Plus if the tarp is messed with you will know as soon as you see it.

If our car is unattended we even put a little tape on the gas cap just so we can be certain no one messed with the fuel...

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Throw the night security guard a $20 and ask him to take care of your truck. Works most of the time. Of course that is they have one.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
Are you camping or are you staying at a hotel/motel there?

If you're camping just stay where there are a lot of other racers. It's in our blood to look out for one another. :)

Reaction
You're better off leaving your truck in the dez with a race team of strangers than leaving it in town at any of the motels, IMHO.

Igino

Reaction
these are all great suggestions - i think i'm gonna use most of them. We're staying at a hotel, so i'll prolly tarp it - pay the security guard - and sleep in the back =) Should be good to go. Thanks for all the tips guys!

M_Solms

Reaction
and sleep in the back =)
You still might wake up in a different location.
They cut a tree down once to get into a trailer at one of those hotels.

Reaction
You still might wake up in a different location.
They cut a tree down once to get into a trailer at one of those hotels.
WE URGE YOU NOT TO LEAVE VALUABLES NEAR/AROUND MOTELS.

Yes, I'm shouting, we don't want you to be a victim. Not only trees have been removed, doors and other parts of enclosed trailers have also fallen victim to the sneak thief criminals of Barstow.

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
WE URGE YOU NOT TO LEAVE VALUABLES NEAR/AROUND MOTELS.

Yes, I'm shouting, we don't want you to be a victim. Not only trees have been removed, doors and other parts of enclosed trailers have also fallen victim to the sneak thief criminals of Barstow.
When we crash at the Hampton is Barstow we always park a chase truck about a few inches from the rear door and the same for the side door. They would have to tear panels off to get in the trailer! jajaja

SteveS

Reaction
Or you could just skip going to that tweek theiven infested crap hole and just come race at prarrie city. It sucks when you have to spend this kind of time thinking how to keep your stuff safe , NOT worth going to barstow , in my opinion

FCORR

Reaction
these are all great suggestions - i think i'm gonna use most of them. We're staying at a hotel, so i'll prolly tarp it - pay the security guard - and sleep in the back =) Should be good to go. Thanks for all the tips guys!
Maybe I'm missing something here...but if you're going to sleep in the truck...why sleep in the truck in the parking lot of a hotel in Barstow? Why not head out to the race and sleep in the truck at main pit? I've never had a problem with any of our stuff at main pit at an MDR race...you're surrounded by other racers, you're in the middle of the desert (far away from tweekers)...it's the safest place for sure...

Igino

Reaction
there's a good chance we will just sleep out at the race. we've got some friends and family coming in, so i don't want to ask them to do that (they're fans of the great indoors) - so if we decide to split up, then yeah, i'll def just stay out there. Thanks for all the helpful advice guys - bottom line i'm hearing loud and clear is "the only way your truck will be safe in barstow is if you're driving it"