How did the rock racers do?????

yzmike777

Reaction
A local friend dean bulloch raced VTR and i am wondering if anyone knows the results

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
4435 supposedly finished al the miles....with never timing out....but that is not confirmed......no results anywhere

Josh @ DanZio

Chains
Reaction
they were struggling really bad. I heard that 90% were overheating

DSI033

Reaction
the winning 4400 car finished 67th overall, and completed all the miles.

after having a fuel issue that took us out, we finished 5th and 109th overall.

we had overheating issues the first half of day 1, swapped to a different rad cap at the driver change, never had heat issues again, and finished first on day 1, ahead of the lead jeepspeed.

rickf

Reaction
the winning 4400 car finished 67th overall, and completed all the miles.

after having a fuel issue that took us out, we finished 5th and 109th overall.

we had overheating issues the first half of day 1, swapped to a different rad cap at the driver change, never had heat issues again, and finished first on day 1, ahead of the lead jeepspeed.
With respect, there was a pretty high failure rate and the cars looked extremely well-built; was there any kind of a common thread to the failures?

Chase 2

Reaction
I'm just guessing here but perhaps a lack of experience building/prepping a dezert racer? Or perhaps no experience in reading the dez at speed thereby hitting stuff too hard/too often?

DSI033

Reaction
theres a couple thing's that caused the failures with the cars. 1 car had fuel probs 1 day, caught fire the 2nd, one had a transfer case failure, one was DQ'd, another DNF'd both days one due to radiator damage, the other from steering problems.

but eating fuel pumps did seem to be the largest issue.

BajaDale

Reaction
and finished first on day 1, ahead of the lead jeepspeed.
I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but you guys should be killing the Jeep Speeds? A full tube chassis rig with unlimited suspension, by-passes, coil overs, 37" tires and more horsepower??

SteveS

Reaction
You do not sound like an ass, you sound like a guy that has not spent any time looking at the crawlers. The biggest reason their speeds are limited is because of the weight of the drive train . its hard to get a vehicle to ride smooth when the body and frame are along for the ride . imagine a flea being the driver on the ass end of bull dog. . with 1000 lb front and rear ends the rigg follows every bump and well you get the point

BajaDale

Reaction
You do not sound like an ass, you sound like a guy that has not spent any time looking at the crawlers. The biggest reason their speeds are limited is because of the weight of the drive train . its hard to get a vehicle to ride smooth when the body and frame are along for the ride . imagine a flea being the driver on the ass end of bull dog. . with 1000 lb front and rear ends the rigg follows every bump and well you get the point
Yeah I guess the unsprung weight is the big killer for those guys! Damn dana 60's!

ProLite13

Reaction
Did Shannon Campbell race in this class?

DP3:cool:

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Did Shannon Campbell race in this class?

DP3:cool:
Negative on Shannon Cambpell.

4435 had a big lead at RM921 yesterday. Haven't heard yet as we just got home from Fallon, NV. We (Pork Pits/BFG "Top Gun Pit") were supossed to fuel/service several rock racers on all three days. Only a few were serviced. Hope all were safe. Full report to come.

Last edited:

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but you guys should be killing the Jeep Speeds? A full tube chassis rig with unlimited suspension, by-passes, coil overs, 37" tires and more horsepower??

unsprung weight is about 50 percent plus most of these guys have enough trouble trying to afford the regular rock racing season let alone build a custom full blown tube chassis truck to race twice a year. The rules should be tighter.

InDaShop

Reaction
I was there with Team Unite the 4454, 4461, and 4471.

4454 (Effectively a Class 1 4x4) bad ass car, but was still be buttoned up at Tech/Contingency, so this race was a shake down. Its going to require a fair bit of work to get it to haul ass mode.
4461 faught fuel delivery issues, and KILLING tires but finished Days 2 & 3
4471 faught fuel delivery issues that took it out Day 2, and ended Day 3 at the startline.

The longest race any of the rock guys had seen was King of the Hammers, its 100 miles, but not a standard desert 100 miles, as it has rock trails with boulders the size of VW's breaking up the high speed desert stretchs. That event is also in February so much lower temps.

Casey Folks is awesome for letting us start a new class and come out. For a first time outing to show up with 11 in class I think it was a success. We learned alot and are now all back in our shops making mods to better live the brutality of this type of crossover racing.

And yes we should be KILLING the jeepspeeds.

Brice

Reaction
you aren't by any chance trying to use those fancy-shmancy aeromotive/barry grant fuel pumps are you?

InDaShop

Reaction
you aren't by any chance trying to use those fancy-shmancy aeromotive/barry grant fuel pumps are you?
all the failures I saw or changed out were the externals like the e2000. But the discussion was certainly pointing toward dual aeromotives.

Whats your take? Internal tank pump or beefed with fuel cooler external like the Aeromotive? Hot fuel just killed the class.

Brice

Reaction
those aeromotives will not live in a desert environment. dual aeromotives caused us to DNF at the Baja 500 a couple years back. they are drag racing pumps and were never designed to be run for days on end. i can't comment on a good high pressure replacement pump but when we switched from the aeromotives to holley reds on our carbed truck we never had another fuel delivery problem.
sorry i can't be more help on the high pressure stuff but from my experience i would definitely say ditch the drag pumps

good luck!

Fourstroker

Reaction
those aeromotives will not live in a desert environment. dual aeromotives caused us to DNF at the Baja 500 a couple years back. they are drag racing pumps and were never designed to be run for days on end. i can't comment on a good high pressure replacement pump but when we switched from the aeromotives to holley reds on our carbed truck we never had another fuel delivery problem.
sorry i can't be more help on the high pressure stuff but from my experience i would definitely say ditch the drag pumps

good luck!
We use the Holley Reds as well. The Holley Blue is the equivalent for high pressure/fuel injected cars. We have even ran a Holley Blue on a carbed car with the proper fuel pressure regulator.