how do arms like these not bumpsteer??

KitRacer

Reaction
IF that truck has a rack, it is probably a power rack made by HOWE. Its a dfferent HOWE than the links you have. The other HOWE doesnt have a website last time I checked. That thing could also be using a regular power steering box with a slider steering unit, but it is highly unlikely. As far as bumpsteer goes, what makes you asume that the truck has a lot of bumpsteer?

geoff

Reaction
where can i get more info on the HOWE racks?

I am pretty sure it doesnt bumpsteer because geiser builds their trucks properly. Their work is definately top-notch.

KitRacer

Reaction
You can get more info on HOWE racks by either going to one of the retail stores that sell them (ORW, Race Ready), or going to a race where he has a booth set up (Primm??), or just go straight to his house/shop in Santee

I hate to misquote, but i think the 2.0 power rack with built in acctuator was in the high $1000's, that geiser TT is running at least a 2.5.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Geoff,

I will post some pictures of a Howe rack we are installing. Or you can come by the shop and check it out.

geoff

Reaction
thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately im in phoenix so i cant really make it out to cali anytime soon while im in school but i will deifnatley try to within the next few weeks or so. Is there a chance the truck will be at SEMA?

also i was looking at these pictures from geiser, where they used a hydraulic ram. I was under the impression that the ram setups are way too slow, and cant really be used on a street type setup that a prerunner would be inclined to see?

you can see this:

i believe in those pics...

Sites

Reaction
I am assuming that since it is a ram assist, the steering is just as quick as the factory box?

ntsqd

Reaction
Fully hyd ram steering can be made to work at almost fwy speeds. The way those that I've looked at work is the steering wheel is connected to a 'pump' similar to an oil pump. By turning the wheel you evacuate one side of the ram and put that oil on the other side. If the 'pump' has a big enough displacement the system won't be slow. Probably will have other problems, but not slow response.

Search Char-Lynn and I'm sure you'll come up with more info.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I will be running the howe setup on my blazer. It will use a ram and rebuilt steering box, and a quicksteer. Call Jeff at Howe he is very helpful and answered all my questions. I paid under $1500 for the box rebuild, ram, resivor with filter, 4 u-joints, quicksteer, big pump, pulley. The only thing I did not buy from him was a quick release for the steering wheel in which I bought from Sparco.

geoff

Reaction
i think the thing that really scares me the most about ram steering is the simple fact that if you ever lose a motor, you lose steering. Losing a motor sucks enough, but losing steering immediately after loosing a motor, can quickly lead to losing a truck

call me a wuss, but i like john's idea. The ram just seems easier to setup

geoff

Reaction
thanks jon, are you running centermounted lowers? I would love to see some pics of what you have in mind for the steering ive been having a hard time coming up with ways to get the tie rods that close to each other.

1500 seems very reasonable for all of that, i will give them a call for sure

drtdevil93

Reaction
the power rack setups dont go out if the motor goes out, you just lose the power assist. you still have to have a shaft that runs all the way from the wheel to the rack. people just put ujoints all over the shaft to get it there.

erik

SLR

Reaction
Box-SwingSet(Attached TCS Snoddy Built)
Box-Slider,Run the pivots off the face of the slider and Delrin to spead the load. Couple TT running Slider set-up.>>>>>SLR

Attachments

ntsqd

Reaction
I think Geoff was refering to pure hydraulic steering, in which case you lose the assist but not the ability to steer when the engine dies. If you loose one of two primary hoses though, then you loose the ability to steer.

geoff

Reaction
thanks for that pic, its pretty impressive. Are there any other pics that might bea little farther away showing this?

Also i was wondering what technique you use to deteremine the placement of the box in order to determine proper ackermann... thanks i know that isnt an easy requrest.

SLR

Reaction
Snoddy built the car, the geometry should be relative. I would center the box, so you have same throw L-R. The ram would be fixed and assist the centerlink. Talk with HOWE (Jeff) on Box set-up. Ackerman, Different Ideas. Some build reverse some build SAE, Your call?? To many different variables to call out a "technique"
"There have been a few discussions on this topic. As always, application is an important factor. "
Hope this helps>>>>>>>SLR

Attachments

FABRICATOR

Reaction
"There have been a few discussions on this topic. As always, application is an important factor. "

Hey, I resemble that remark! Ackerman, bah, humbug! What in the dirt does'nt slide?