• Forum membership has its advantages....

How do I get started in racing

Brian5827

How does someone get started into dessert racing? What I'm lost about is the financial aspect of it, like what are good ways to stay afloat when getting started and not go out, does anyone got an idea that would help.​

jon coleman

shop wal mart.( this thread is a breath of fresh air, thank you!!!!, Volunteer!!!, go to june 6 Lucerne race, be carefull, its HOT DESERT!!!, this time of year, if you got a truck, all the better to haul a spare tire as a volunteer,

cynicwanderer

race what you can afford... I have a regular job, a 13 year old bike, 26 year chase van, camp in the van on the way to the race, at the start before the race and on the way home. eating pop-tarts and McD is not beneath me. biggest expense for me is the entry fee (which is much lower for a bike) and fuel to get to/from the race, fuel for the race, tires... when I have extra money, parts for the bike. I figure I"m getting a lot of race miles/smiles for the $.

my daily driver is a $500 honda civic, which is cheap to operate and save money because I don't have a payment. I don't eat out very much. we live in a modest home and don't move often. I do all my own maintenance on my cars and most of the stuff on the house, which saves money...

anyway, it's all about lifestyle choices, etc...

racing buggies/utvs would easily be 5-10x more expensive for me. 4x tires, more fuel, need a trailer, higher entry fees, parts cost more, more stuff breaks, etc...

one way you can manage, is to form a team and get some people together with similar interest who are willing to chip in their share of money/time to get a chance to drive, if they want.

or find a friend who will let you race their car every so often for helping out.

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

The old saying was Start with a large fortune, race, and retire with a small fortune. Now I think you need to start with an even LARGER fortune. Reality is racing costs money, period, Even 'cheap' racing costs plenty of money. It is an expensive hobby, period. Cheap class like 9 or 11, entry fees, etc... expect to pay $2-3k minimum for prep and race expenses, that does not include repairs or buying a race car or building one. And don't expext to build one cheaper than youcan buy one. Used race cars go anywhere from .30 cents to .50 cents to the dollar to build, even when buying used parts for the build.

jon coleman

i sold my race set up @ about 25 cents on the dollar, 😭felt like my dog died watching my jeep float away on the new lucky owners trailor....oh well

MTPyle

its like the old saying. How do you eat a Elephant? One bite at a time. Haha

I think a lot of racers start with race vehicles they took years to finish.

we started with the cheapest truck we could find and have been upgrading it. I could never have dropped what I have into my racing program all in one chunk. I have put every spare dollar I have into racing, literally.

or just focus on making lots of money then go buy a complete race set up.

Mike

jon coleman

& dont be too proud, Real Racers do Whatever( legally, mostly) it takes to get to the starting line, ive heard this before, ill ask, when are you gonna race?, oh, IM gonna do a tt, maybe cls one, HA!, thats there excuse Not to race!, start in Any lower class!, it All leads eventually to the higher/ faster classes

Fourstroker

Is going pro in Baja racing profitable and how does someone that is pro make money other than winning
Years and years of racing on your own nickel..... and winning more than nearly anybody. Then you have to be in the right place at the right time with the right sponsors. Then and only then you might have a chance at being a pro driver with sponsored income. There are literally about 5 of those in offroad racing. Everyone else is just throwing their hard earned income, friends business sponsorship, etc into one the best forms of auto racing

Brian5827

Well
Years and years of racing on your own nickel..... and winning more than nearly anybody. Then you have to be in the right place at the right time with the right sponsors. Then and only then you might have a chance at being a pro driver with sponsored income. There are literally about 5 of those in offroad racing. Everyone else is just throwing their hard earned income, friends business sponsorship, etc into one the best forms of auto racing
Well I guess all I can do is try

Bro_Gill

You are way away from desert racing, so any costs you would endure have to include travel. That will be huge for you. YOur best bet would be to find the closest off road racing promoter to you and find out when they will have a race. There should be some short course race series closer to you. Find out where and when and tell your parents that is what you wantt o do for your birthday or some other occasion (good gredes, etc...) . Great way to meet racers and some of them probably do both short course and desert. That is a great way to WORK your way into the racing scene. Tell a team you befriend that you really want to get into racing and are willing to volunteer to help their team any way you can. Let it grow from there. If you are worth your salt, eventually a team would probably be willing to foot travel expenses to bring you to races to help their program. That is how you start. Otherwise, at 15 years old, you better have a great trust fund, and ues, that has happened as well. Good luck!

jon coleman

my ultimate goal was to basically race for free, my first team i was on got to that level& then some, Robert Haley Busted His A$$!!!, but he made the show( ford -bfg semi pro, it took decades for him& also he is a Damn good politition/ salesmen, you gotta be a really good team leader/ people guy, pull everyone together for common goals, TEN times harder then driving/ racing the actual car.best of luck.main thing, live your dream& never take no for an answer!!

cynicwanderer

at 15 I was racing hare scrambles; it was what was available where I lived. things were a lot cheaper back then, too. in any case, don't stop dreaming, but have something to fall back on if needed.. here is what I have done all my life. have dreams and goals. whenever you have to make a decision, pick the route that brings you incrementally closer to you dream. E.g. chose a career that will allow you the flexibility and resource to race, or connect you to the industry somehow or let's say you have a choice of going to spring break with you friends or a chance to chase/help out in a race. being a professional driver, even if you have a lot of talent, requires programming starting at an early age, so you have the experiences and connections. i.e. it helps if your family already races or is connected...