• Forum membership has its advantages....

How do I get started in racing

JDDurfey

Is going pro in Baja racing profitable and how does someone that is pro make money other than winning
NO!!! In 2003 I was on a Pro bike team that won the Class 30 Championship. I believe the year end points award check was like $3500. That doesn't even cover the entry fee and the Honda Pit fees we were paying then. We would go to Baja with a crew of about 20. We all paid our own hotels, food, and gas. The team owner covered the entry fee, Honda Pit fee, and provided a prepped bike with spare parts for us to race. None of us who volunteered or raced made a dime. The team owner didn't make a dime.

To make money as a Pro you need sponsors that will pay you CASH. These are not easy to come by and you must be good, VERY GOOD to get that. Although now days social media plays a huge part in that also.

In 2005 I started riding for a team sponsored by Hooters. I was in the right place at the right time to get that ride. We were a sportsman team for the 05 B1000 and through the 06 season, while also sponsoring Jim O'Neal's Class 40 team for two of the 06 races, and in 07 we rode Class 30 and added a 16 car and a Class 1 car to the team. Hooters did fund the team fairly well, but the team owner kept most of that money to cover the costs. I built and prepped the race bike and I every time I turned around I was calling him for his CC to cover parts. He was shocked at how much money I spent on that bike, but he really enjoyed the bike I built. And I used every connection I had to get us discounts and fee parts. Now, while riding for Hooters, they did cover my hotel, some food, and some fuel for the Baja races. However, I still put mileage on my vehicle to and from Baja, up and down Baja roads, and the wear and tear that ensued. And I never charged a dime for the time I spent prepping the bike or for my time going to Mexico. For the Baja 1000 in 06 and the 07 races I was given a $500 check for each race. This did not even begin to cover my time or expenses. We never made a dime from SCORE for those two plus years of racing.

Now, don't take what I am saying as discouraging you from racing. I loved every minute of it and feel it was some of the best accomplishments of my life. I would not trade my racing days for anything. When I started racing in AZ I was sleeping in my pick up at the races, racing on bald tires, eating PB&J, no health insurance, working two jobs while trying to start a business so I could race. Those sacrifices are a badge of honor to me. While I saw kids with brand new bikes and gear their parents paid for I was self supported except for a couple of old time Baja Racers that helped me out. If you are trying to get into a 4 wheel vehicle the best thing to do is go to a few races in your area, find a team that is from your area, and offer to help out. You show up at there shop every chance you get and learn everything you can. If you want to be a good driver you need to know the car, truck, motorcycle inside and out. Put your time in and if you are in the right place at the right time you very well might get some seat time. Or you may find that every time you get into the car you puke your guts out and it isn't for you, that happens too! In all honesty, I was better in a support roll in Baja than I was in a racing roll. I almost hate to admit that because I love to race and I was a damn good rider. However, I was good at the race day logistics and making decisions during the races that helped us finish races and win a championship on more than one occasion. You may find yourself in a position like that where a team will pay your expenses and even a salary to go to the races, but being in the race car is out of the question. Which would you rather do, sit at home dreaming of driving a race car, or being at the races and having an integral part in a team's success. I would choose the later.

If you want to read some of my stories look at Longviewramblings.com Under the racing tab I have some stories with more to come.

baja_racer

I think that says it all...........you can put in all the effort, but if you're not in the right place at the right time. I was and am eternally grateful. Maybe putting in the effort and time will put you in that right place.........you will have a blast trying!!!

Jeff72

Now there’s the best answer to all your questions.

NO!!! In 2003 I was on a Pro bike team that won the Class 30 Championship. I believe the year end points award check was like $3500. That doesn't even cover the entry fee and the Honda Pit fees we were paying then. We would go to Baja with a crew of about 20. We all paid our own hotels, food, and gas. The team owner covered the entry fee, Honda Pit fee, and provided a prepped bike with spare parts for us to race. None of us who volunteered or raced made a dime. The team owner didn't make a dime.

To make money as a Pro you need sponsors that will pay you CASH. These are not easy to come by and you must be good, VERY GOOD to get that. Although now days social media plays a huge part in that also.

In 2005 I started riding for a team sponsored by Hooters. I was in the right place at the right time to get that ride. We were a sportsman team for the 05 B1000 and through the 06 season, while also sponsoring Jim O'Neal's Class 40 team for two of the 06 races, and in 07 we rode Class 30 and added a 16 car and a Class 1 car to the team. Hooters did fund the team fairly well, but the team owner kept most of that money to cover the costs. I built and prepped the race bike and I every time I turned around I was calling him for his CC to cover parts. He was shocked at how much money I spent on that bike, but he really enjoyed the bike I built. And I used every connection I had to get us discounts and fee parts. Now, while riding for Hooters, they did cover my hotel, some food, and some fuel for the Baja races. However, I still put mileage on my vehicle to and from Baja, up and down Baja roads, and the wear and tear that ensued. And I never charged a dime for the time I spent prepping the bike or for my time going to Mexico. For the Baja 1000 in 06 and the 07 races I was given a $500 check for each race. This did not even begin to cover my time or expenses. We never made a dime from SCORE for those two plus years of racing.

Now, don't take what I am saying as discouraging you from racing. I loved every minute of it and feel it was some of the best accomplishments of my life. I would not trade my racing days for anything. When I started racing in AZ I was sleeping in my pick up at the races, racing on bald tires, eating PB&J, no health insurance, working two jobs while trying to start a business so I could race. Those sacrifices are a badge of honor to me. While I saw kids with brand new bikes and gear their parents paid for I was self supported except for a couple of old time Baja Racers that helped me out. If you are trying to get into a 4 wheel vehicle the best thing to do is go to a few races in your area, find a team that is from your area, and offer to help out. You show up at there shop every chance you get and learn everything you can. If you want to be a good driver you need to know the car, truck, motorcycle inside and out. Put your time in and if you are in the right place at the right time you very well might get some seat time. Or you may find that every time you get into the car you puke your guts out and it isn't for you, that happens too! In all honesty, I was better in a support roll in Baja than I was in a racing roll. I almost hate to admit that because I love to race and I was a damn good rider. However, I was good at the race day logistics and making decisions during the races that helped us finish races and win a championship on more than one occasion. You may find yourself in a position like that where a team will pay your expenses and even a salary to go to the races, but being in the race car is out of the question. Which would you rather do, sit at home dreaming of driving a race car, or being at the races and having an integral part in a team's success. I would choose the later.

If you want to read some of my stories look at Longviewramblings.com Under the racing tab I have some stories with more to come.

JDDurfey

but those cheap plastic trophys& plaques are priceless;)
And the few trophies and plaques I have are sitting at the bottom of a box in storage. I do wish I had paid for an extra year end trophy from the 03 SCORE championship I was a part of. That would proudly be on display somewhere in my house, with or without the wife's consent.

JDDurfey

scary part is i look at mine and more & more im remembering the race less& less, oh well
That's why you write down the stories while you still remember them. I don't have nearly as many race stories as most guys out there. But I have a few pretty good ones, and the best ones to me are not necessarily wins, but the races we overcame tremendous odds just to complete the race.