How do racers/sponsors feel about racers that race themselves?

slvrbullet

RDC Crypto
I had a discussion over the weekend with some friends and wanted to get the masses opionion. The discussion was about people that race themselves in classes with little to no other enteries, and then brag about winning a championship even though they only finished a race or two each season. The rest of the time they get trophies for not even finishing. As a racer I would get bored with this and not really feel accomplished, not to mention how do you benchmark how good you really are? I would personally have a hard time bragging about this to sponsors, I would feel dumb if they looked into it and found out you only race against myself or 1 other truck that always breaks. I wonder how sponsors feel about this, or do they even care?

Whats the RDC's opinion?

SMS81

RDC Crypto
Use to think it wasn’t much of an accomplishment but have changed my opinion based on what an RDC member once posted. To finish any race is difficult, it is not the fault of the racer that no one else shows up to race. I don’t think anyone wants to run against themselves, but sometimes circumstances dictate it.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
everyone has their own idea of what they want to accomplish. Many desert racers are just trying to finish. I know the Honda guys like to measure their time compared to the spec trucks. So there are measurements outside of your class that can matter to you.

personally I would not want to race in a small class or a class that I knew there wasn't much competition. I also would not feel accomplished if we had a hired gun drive our truck. But again everyone has their own reasons for what they do.

The big take away is that its not up to you to judge why others do what they do. Just because it does not make sense to you does not mean it should not makes sense to the person writing the checks and putting in the work. Clearly that person thinks its worth it and paying to do it.

Mike

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Use to think it wasn’t much of an accomplishment but have changed my opinion based on what an RDC member once posted. To finish any race is difficult, it is not the fault of the racer that no one else shows up to race. I don’t think anyone wants to run against themselves, but sometimes circumstances dictate it.
I don't know if that was me, but that is exactly how I feel. More context is needed here because there are a lot of variables. We ourselves raced in a low turn out class for several years, in a limited class truck. We did everything we could to get more folks to come out but in some races we were it. We didn't brag about it, etc, but I also don't feel an ounce of shame or guilt for feeling proud about the fact that we dragged our butts out to multiple races and gave our best to beat the desert in a limited class vehicle. Wasn't our fault that no one else showed up and we still had to build, prep, and manage the truck to survive on some tough race courses. Is it the same as beating 40 trucks per race in a big class? No, not even a little bit. But I would personally never trash someone racing in a low turn out class because at least they have the fortitude to show up, spend their money, and be a part of the game.

This is totally different from someone building a car specifically for a class that has no entries, simply to market the vehicle or products by winning. But even then, there are exceptions in my opinion. My personal passing of judgement on these are very situational.

slvrbullet

RDC Crypto
I wouldn't say anyone is judging anyone more so just trying to understand it. I was rebuilding a truck and then stopped becuase I realized the class was dead and I would be racing by myself or 1-2 other guys. We switched things up and went and entirely different direction bought a new car and raced a class with high number of enteries. To beat the desert is a huge accomplishment no doubt, but to beat it and podium is a even bigger rush. One of the biggest rushes I get is pulling into the pits and hearing the time splits between our class. I guess really it comes down to I think we have to many classes to cater to many people. I have raced a limited class with limited enteries so I get it, but I also yearned for more competition and it was hard to get sponsors racing against yourself. However times have changed and sponsors seem to care less about racing and more about social media influence.

10 shot

RDC Crypto
What is worse race a class you have absolutely no chance to podium or race a low entry class you can possibly win or place in. I think a beginner would want the low entry class with lower costs and a little more plastic on the shelf.

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
I know the Honda guys like to measure their time compared to the spec trucks.
I came aboard with Honda after crewing for TT/Unlimited efforts. I miss doing TT stuff but being part of a true factory effort has been cool. Its kinda corporate but oh well. The truck fuggin' rules. Its a mini TT on forty inch tires and has top notch people doing every aspect of the program. Unless we have a bad day we are pretty hard to beat in 7/7200. But the 7/7200 field is not that big. We cant switch classes because we have to run a Honda motor so were not in 6100 because of that.

We did run the ridgeline at KOH in the T2 class and did fairly decent. (The Ridgeline qualified 6th in class and 15th overall in a field of 57 trucks. We finished 4th in class and 7th overall.)

We only run the bigger races so we arent looking for championships. Just wins.

Winning in class keeps the funding coming in from Honda and all the other sponsors happy and pays the bosses mortgage and blah blah blah. We're gonna keep the money. And then were gonna keep trying to pick off as many of the spec TTs and real TT's as we can just for fun.

I will let the team principle know that you think we are a joke though. LOL.

10 shot

RDC Crypto
I came aboard with Honda after crewing for TT/Unlimited efforts. I miss doing TT stuff but being part of a true factory effort has been cool. Its kinda corporate but oh well. The truck fuggin' rules. Its a mini TT on forty inch tires and has top notch people doing every aspect of the program. Unless we have a bad day we are pretty hard to beat in 7/7200. But the 7/7200 field is not that big. We cant switch classes because we have to run a Honda motor so were not in 6100 because of that.

We did run the ridgeline at KOH in the T2 class and did fairly decent. (The Ridgeline qualified 6th in class and 15th overall in a field of 57 trucks. We finished 4th in class and 7th overall.)

Winning in class keeps the funding coming in from Honda and all the other sponsors happy and pays the bosses mortgage and blah blah blah. We're gonna keep the money. And then were gonna keep trying to pick off as many of the spec TTs and real TT's as we can just for fun.

I think the team is top notch the truck is top notch the class it is in is unfortunately completely dead. Just too bad you cant find a way to get into the 6100 class just back it down from the 900 hp your running to 525 .......🤣

Steve_Sourapas

RDC Crypto
Website
stevesourapas.com
Everyone has different needs and wants and I would never bad mouth anyone for that. For us it's always been about racing the most competitive class we could find that we could also afford. That's why we are in Pro Turbo and 6100 now. TT is bad ass but spending millions just doesn't make sense to me anymore.

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
It depends on the sponsor. Mine just wants contractor referrals and my spendings with them to be better next year.

ColeA

RDC Crypto
Website
www.andrews-motorsports.com
I think it depends on the situations/scenario.

If you a racing by yourself (no other entries at all) and finish the race obviously you get a trophy, but that trophy means more because you finished the race and beat the desert. (just like someone said above, difficult to do and not our fault no one showed up) But like the op said "The discussion was about people that race themselves in classes with little to no other entries, and then brag about winning a championship even though they only finished a race or two each season" I feel this gives no reward because championships are about beating others, not beating the desert. if no one else races then there's no others to beat. But as soon as there is 1 other racer then brag about it all you want, you were the better racer that year. Now if you finished every mile of every race, then the championship trophy could be bragged about in that aspect and it means something different.

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
I think the team is top notch the truck is top notch the class it is in is unfortunately completely dead. Just too bad you cant find a way to get into the 6100 class just back it down from the 900 hp your running to 525 .......🤣
The only way in is to get an exemption for the motor and then -we are "those guys" who "supposedly used millions of corporate dollars in a top secret deal with BITD" so we can ruin a spec class that is flourishing.

That's not a can of worms we wanna open.

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
I look at one Team and their program, the Halls and their Chevy program, very rarely do they have anyone else in their class, they are professional, always prepared, pits prepared and team ready. Very proud of what they are doing, respectful to other classes on the course, just doing their thing and having fun.

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
The only way in is to get an exemption for the motor and then -we are "those guys" who "supposedly used millions of corporate dollars in a top secret deal with BITD" so we can ruin a spec class that is flourishing.

That's not a can of worms we wanna open.
But once a year they should be thrown together for a little fun and heart breaking, KOH is the perfect place, or maybe the Mint.

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
But once a year they should be thrown together for a little fun and heart breaking, KOH is the perfect place, or maybe the Mint.
Its no secret that I am a fan of everything KOH but the simplicity of the desert racing class rules I really like. And also because we get more competitors in our class.

Never thought about the mint letting the ridgeline into 6100 or whatever the Martellis call it. I bet proctor would be into it.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto

Whoa

I never said the Honda team was a joke. I said you guys like to see how you do against the 6100. Fact is you compete with many if not all 6100.

My point was that just because you guys don’t have many trucks in your class does not mean you have nothing to measure against. The OP said how would you know if you are fast if you don’t have any other trucks to measure with.

I love the Honda team. Cool truck and bad ass group of dudes.

The only comment I have said that could be taken negative is I don’t think you guys should be in 6100. Not because I don’t like your team but because I think your truck is fast as hell and any forced induction can be hard to keep to a fair power level.

Mike

Zac Reish

RDC Crypto
Racing no one and bragging about winning is pathetic. Except if it’s the Baja 500 or Baja 1000. Those races are a bitch to finish. If you can go fast, beat everyone and keep it together in any race with 20 or more pissed off dudes breathing down your neck you have accomplished something.

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
Whoa

I never said the Honda team was a joke. I said you guys like to see how you do against the 6100. Fact is you compete with many if not all 6100.
OOPs... i might have typed that poorly. I was lightheartedly going after the OP (Not you Mike) who said "As a racer I would get bored with this and not really feel accomplished, not to mention how do you benchmark how good you really are? I would personally have a hard time bragging about this to sponsors, I would feel dumb if they looked into it and found out you only race against myself or 1 other truck that always breaks. I wonder how sponsors feel about this, or do they even care?"

I love the Honda team. Cool truck and bad ass group of dudes.

The only comment I have said that could be taken negative is I don’t think you guys should be in 6100. Not because I don’t like your team but because I think your truck is fast as hell and any forced induction can be hard to keep to a fair power level.

Mike
HA. I assure you that every time we catch the Spec TT's its your bumper we are hunting! LOL I have a photo of your truck taped to the dash with a target on it. LOL.

To the OP-

" I wonder how sponsors feel about this, or do they even care?".

Sponsors care about wins, likes and shares.

"As a racer I would get bored with this and not really feel accomplished, not to mention how do you benchmark how good you really are?"

We are great at winning our class and pretty dang good at catching other guys who had a head start. Our overall finishing position means a lot to us.

Our sponsorship situation is different than that of many. We are a marketing tool and a race program. We have earned the respect of our peers, we have haters who think we have way more money going on than we actually do, and we've got fans. I'd put any of our drivers/navigators in any other class and not even worry about getting good results. The exception to that would be the top TT dudes. They are next level.

There is some truth to what youre saying though. (B.Walsh)