How do racers/sponsors feel about racers that race themselves?

mxben

Solutions
RDC Crypto
Racing no one and bragging about winning is pathetic. Except if it’s the Baja 500 or Baja 1000. Those races are a bitch to finish. If you can go fast, beat everyone and keep it together in any race with 20 or more pissed off dudes breathing down your neck you have accomplished something.
WORD

slvrbullet

RDC Crypto
To the OP-

" I wonder how sponsors feel about this, or do they even care?".

Sponsors care about wins, likes and shares.

"As a racer I would get bored with this and not really feel accomplished, not to mention how do you benchmark how good you really are?"

We are great at winning our class and pretty dang good at catching other guys who had a head start. Our overall finishing position means a lot to us.

Our sponsorship situation is different than that of many. We are a marketing tool and a race program. We have earned the respect of our peers, we have haters who think we have way more money going on than we actually do, and we've got fans. I'd put any of our drivers/navigators in any other class and not even worry about getting good results. The exception to that would be the top TT dudes. They are next level.

There is some truth to what youre saying though. (B.Walsh)

Dan, I would say your program is alot different than most, the fact that we have a "factory" team in a truck class is awesome. The Honda team is extremely humble and when you read Proctor's race report he talks about the whole program utv's, 7200, etc so you can see its a big effort that involves multiple classes. I also dont see you guys getting trophies for not finishing, you guys earn your podiums and are real to your fans when you have a bad day.

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
Dan, I would say your program is alot different than most, the fact that we have a "factory" team in a truck class is awesome. The Honda team is extremely humble and when you read Proctor's race report he talks about the whole program utv's, 7200, etc so you can see its a big effort that involves multiple classes. I also dont see you guys getting trophies for not finishing, you guys earn your podiums and are real to your fans when you have a bad day.
Thanks. For real, proctor is pretty smart and the dude is also fast. Its a giant program now with the Talons.

Sorry if I seemed a little bishy. I've had the "You guys aren't racing anybody! " comments quite a few times and while its true were in a small class we are out there racing EVERYBODY. Class tens, class ones, TTs, Specs, EREYBODY....

10 shot

RDC Crypto
I think if honda had a turn key motor package ignition ect. To install in a truck and race the class there might be a few to do it but let's face it there is nothing close to the Honda truck in that class. That thing destroyed pab in his truck and everyone that has raced it since the new chassis was built.

slvrbullet

RDC Crypto
Thanks. For real, proctor is pretty smart and the dude is also fast. Its a giant program now with the Talons.

Sorry if I seemed a little bishy. I've had the "You guys aren't racing anybody! " comments quite a few times and while its true were in a small class we are out there racing EVERYBODY. Class tens, class ones, TTs, Specs, EREYBODY....
Like I said your program is different and the whole team deserves respect because it was earned. You guys wont trailer your car across the finish line to get a "win" or "finish" for Honda. That is to be respected, I lost respect for other factory backed programs that are willing to trailer cars to the finish line because they couldn't survive the race. You guys are also racing Baja, Baja is no joke. Finishing those types of races are a feat, at those races (minus TT's) you arent racing the class you are racing the course and keeping tabs on your class.

I think if honda had a turn key motor package ignition ect. To install in a truck and race the class there might be a few to do it but let's face it there is nothing close to the Honda truck in that class. That thing destroyed pab in his truck and everyone that has raced it since the new chassis was built.

Honda has a killer package and honestly that is what that class needs. Ford tried it but they failed to keep a engine alive.

10 shot

RDC Crypto
Like I said your program is different and the whole team deserves respect because it was earned. You guys wont trailer your car across the finish line to get a "win" or "finish" for Honda. That is to be respected, I lost respect for other factory backed programs that are willing to trailer cars to the finish line because they couldn't survive the race. You guys are also racing Baja, Baja is no joke. Finishing those types of races are a feat, at those races (minus TT's) you arent racing the class you are racing the course and keeping tabs on your class.

Honda has a killer package and honestly that is what that class needs. Ford tried it but they failed to keep a engine alive.
Yea the Ford was a disaster

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
you/anyone can buy our motor.

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
We usually dont race San Felipe but we did this year. We won.

And we won the 500.

But we did not run the 400.

Even if we win the 1000 we wont get the championship.

I wonder if a "start and park" at the 400 woulda been a good idea...

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
I think it depends on the situations/scenario.

If you a racing by yourself (no other entries at all) and finish the race obviously you get a trophy, but that trophy means more because you finished the race and beat the desert. (just like someone said above, difficult to do and not our fault no one showed up) But like the op said "The discussion was about people that race themselves in classes with little to no other entries, and then brag about winning a championship even though they only finished a race or two each season" I feel this gives no reward because championships are about beating others, not beating the desert. if no one else races then there's no others to beat. But as soon as there is 1 other racer then brag about it all you want, you were the better racer that year. Now if you finished every mile of every race, then the championship trophy could be bragged about in that aspect and it means something different.
yup, if you show up, and there is just one other guy in the class, and he qualifies in front of you, and you beat him for the first place trophy, Outright, ( no mech issues , dnf, crashes), then its My best trophy racing( Firebird raceway srx7), also got a first in srx7 at Buttonwillow inaugural event, only car in class , that trophy sits lower on the shelves, but ive seen guys come into the class and complain its too slow, cant run at the front in a 25 car run group, so they step up to E prod.with 2- 3 guys and can podium, Much faster class , but that aint racing in my book( ie if you cant win in a slower Big class, you have no reason other than to trophy stepping into a " faster", but Smaller class,

Last edited:

jon coleman

RDC Crypto

Attachments

• smoke-weed.gif
    smoke-weed.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Jessaca

RDC Crypto
Website
www.wickedracingca.com
we Are always racing ourselves and the desert. We would start at the back of our class gladly. I am not out there trying to race our competition. I know many of them are going for championship/points. We are just trying to beat the desert. She has been kicking our ass for awhile. 😩

So, if someone wants to brag that they won the championship, eh, I am thinking more of, wow! You finished. In regards to the 1000.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
The 1000 is a different deal and I think everyone agrees you can celebrate a finish.

Let’s say I am 1 of 2 entered in a class and the other entry breaks down early in a race. I go super slow and barely make the cut off. I win. For me that’s not something I am bragging about. But I see teams with this same scenario act like the won the overall and promote their victory like it’s winning the super bowl. For me that’s not cool and embarrassing.

I think that’s what the OP is talking about.

Mike

slvrbullet

RDC Crypto
I think that’s what the OP is talking about.

Mike
I think mostly what I dont get, hence why starting this after having a discussions with friends, is I see guys racing in smaller ORG's that could step up a class and go race with more competition but they make up excusses on why they wont step up, even though they have the Buggy/truck to do so. I miss the old sportsman truck days, run what you brung 4cyl, V6, V8, leafs and links, with 30-40 enteries, you never know who would bring home the hardware.

I'm currently debating stepping up a class, not because I'm ready, but because I dont want to race against 2-3 cars next season as some of the racers in the class are moving up. I'm fortunate enough to have factory support and they love to see how tight the racing is and how many enteries we have in our class. Would they continue to sponsor me if I only raced 1-3 other cars in the class? Who knows...

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Silver

OK maybe I missed your point and turned it into what bugs me. LOL

I think for the most part people agree that they do not want to race with very few entries. I think this is why a class like 6800 didnt take off. It was made for the old 6100 guys which I know are a ton of out there. But nobody wants to start. Its like a empty dance floor until a few bold couples get out there and show the way. Not many want to be the first on the empty dance floor and get all the stares. Especially since they know people will look down on them for racing against nobody.

People are still insecure and like being in groups.

It's interesting to see what has happened to classes and how the crowd mentality has prevailed.

I get why a bog company like Honda will promote their victory regardless of how hard it was to achieve. It's business and that stuff works. You kind of expect that when big corps are involved.

Mike

El Mamito USMC

RDC Crypto
Use to think it wasn’t much of an accomplishment but have changed my opinion based on what an RDC member once posted. To finish any race is difficult, it is not the fault of the racer that no one else shows up to race. I don’t think anyone wants to run against themselves, but sometimes circumstances dictate it.
this sounds like atvs classes , sad to say the least

mxben

Solutions
RDC Crypto
Let the class 10 and anyone in unlimited UTV qualify at next years SF250, start class 7 infront of SPEC, let nature do the rest.

Was there bourbon in my coffee?

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
Let me ask one question. Honda dirt bikes had won like 16 years in a row the championship. Some years they had 12 other competitors and other years they had 3 others racing against them in the class.

Most people going out and buying dirt bikes read on signs or literature that Honda won 16 straight Baja championships and people have NO clue how many other factories had teams during those races. They just want the championship bike.

Hell thats all I wanted. The championship bike.

Last edited:

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
RDC Crypto
When was the last time you saw an ad that said "Winner of the Baja 1000, out of 2 in class" or one that said "Winner of the Baja 1000, out of 35 in class" ?

Sponsors don't care how many are in the class, they only care about the race wins and championships.

Even Ford pushed their broken (DNF) Bronco across the finish line just for the photo op for ads.

TJ_Gambino

RDC Crypto
Class 6200: good in theory. In reality, only one or two teams that consistently show up to race. Plus they only run BITD. So finish every race and you are battling for a points championship. Just another class to water down the car counts.