How do racers/sponsors feel about racers that race themselves?

Sheepdog

RDC Crypto
This is actually a strategy used a lot in NHRA Stock Eliminator drag racing, to scour the rule book, classification guides, and national record listings, to find a combo that no one else uses, in a class that no one else competes in, because the indexes are softer and you can avoid heads-up races, so it costs a lot less to develop a competitive race car. It is FAR more likely for the #1 qualifier at Indy to be a PT Cruiser convertible with the exhaust system and air cleaner removed, than a highly-developed 375-horse 396-powered '69 Camaro race car. The Buth family races a number of 2.3 4-cylinder Fords from the '70s and 80s in Stock Eliminator- Rangers, Pinto Wagons, Thunderbirds, and Mustangs, and they're all killers:

Evans Motorsports

RDC Crypto
Silver

OK maybe I missed your point and turned it into what bugs me. LOL

I think for the most part people agree that they do not want to race with very few entries. I think this is why a class like 6800 didnt take off. It was made for the old 6100 guys which I know are a ton of out there. But nobody wants to start. Its like a empty dance floor until a few bold couples get out there and show the way. Not many want to be the first on the empty dance floor and get all the stares. Especially since they know people will look down on them for racing against nobody.

People are still insecure and like being in groups.

It's interesting to see what has happened to classes and how the crowd mentality has prevailed.

I get why a bog company like Honda will promote their victory regardless of how hard it was to achieve. It's business and that stuff works. You kind of expect that when big corps are involved.

Mike
6800 class I have not heard of that one, Old 6100s!

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Yes 6800 was made for 37” non UD 6100 trucks. Lots of guys got left behind with the new rule change. Many could not go to the larger tires.

So 6800 was made as the old 6100 rules. It’s a class in this years Mint400 but no takers.

Mike

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
If anyone grew up racing motocross, you know that there’s a difference between local races with 12 guys on the gate, and a National race with a stacked 40 rider gate. You aren’t really the best until you spank everyone on a stacked gate.

Also coming from a guy who has a personal budget of what’s in my fridge and tool box, I would also leverage all liquid assets to go race a $5000 “race car” with my buddies and have a smile on my face. That was always the dream.

If you don’t have the opportunity to get into a class that is competitive, I don’t blame you for celebrating whatever accomplishment may come your way. If you do have the means and purposely stay in a small class to continue to falsely feed your ego, well that’s a whole different coin.

It sure would be a lot nicer if the talent pool was forced to build a car to fit a maximum of 5 categories. Supercross and Motocross are easy to follow for the same reason.

Excluding people from racing sucks, but the way KOH ran this past year was a pretty good format.