How do you hold down your spare tire?

Reaction
We've lost a few, found a few. On our buggy we carry the spare horizontally on a rack mounted above the engine, held down with a ratchet strap.

That system has occasionally failed, including at this past weekend's BITD race. Luckily, thanks to the RDC "La Famila" it was recovered, but it cost us some time and, perhaps, a position or two.

What works for your team?

Thanks in advance!

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
I use a 40" black leather belt and a XXL tee shirt to hold my spare tire down...........

Sorry.......

I know this is lame but do you have vertical tubing on the rack so that the strap can make a positive lock in a set position??

I looked for pictures but ended up doing a lame drawing.....The vertical tubes need to only be 3 or 4 inches and only need to be in the front so you can drag the tire off the rear easily. You should cap the top of the vertical tube too....you will need 2 of them about 10 and 2 o'clock or whatever position your tire rack allows you to weld them on at.....

Of course you still need the strap even though I left it out of the picture....To draw that I would have to bill you double......YIKES!!!!

Attachments

steve0we

Reaction
NIMROD, your YOK kinda looks like a double cheeseburger............uuuuuummmmmmhhhhhhh cheeseburger!

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
I use a 40" black leather belt and a XXL tee shirt to hold my spare tire down...........

Sorry.......

I know this is lame but do you have vertical tubing on the rack so that the strap can make a positive lock in a set position??

I looked for pictures but ended up doing a lame drawing.....The vertical tubes need to only be 3 or 4 inches and only need to be in the front so you can drag the tire off the rear easily. You should cap the top of the vertical tube too....you will need 2 of them about 10 and 2 o'clock or whatever position your tire rack allows you to weld them on at.....

Of course you still need the strap even though I left it out of the picture....To draw that I would have to bill you double......YIKES!!!!

Nice Yokie plug in the drawing!! LOL

I use the "Y" ratchet strap. Has never let me down.

steve0we

Reaction
"Y" strap works well and sure is easy.
Hey Pdaily, you ever given a Austrailian kiss? Sorry, its my joke for the day........

Its like a French kiss......Down under.... Sorry for the thread jack

Reaction
I like Nim's first answer, LOL. We don't have the forward uprights but do have a center loop that locates the tire both front to rear and side to side. I think our issues have more to do with the strap abrading or coming loose. I wasn't on scene when the car was found to be missing its spare, but was told most of the strap, including the ratchet and hook, had disappeared. I know the Y-straps work well on smaller tires but we need something that would work with a 35 Project.

I'm thinking of cable, or even chain, kept tight with an over center cam lock like OTR truckers use?

Further humor or comments always appreciated, I'll be back later. Time to go support home mounted PV solar at the city council meeting.

Co-Dog

Reaction
I like Nim's first answer, LOL. We don't have the forward uprights but do have a center loop that locates the tire both front to rear and side to side. I think our issues have more to do with the strap abrading or coming loose. I wasn't on scene when the car was found to be missing its spare, but was told most of the strap, including the ratchet and hook, had disappeared. I know the Y-straps work well on smaller tires but we need something that would work with a 35 Project.

I'm thinking of cable, or even chain, kept tight with an over center cam lock like OTR truckers use?

Further humor or comments always appreciated, I'll be back later. Time to go support home mounted PV solar at the city council meeting.
We've lost more than our fair share of spares. We have a "Y" that consists of 2 chains and 1 ratchet strap. We use that setup on the prerunner, and haven't lost a spare yet with that configuration. I'll have to find out where to get them, unless somebody else around here knows.

Reaction
Co-Dog, gotta pic? Thanks!

Fourstroker

Reaction

I wouldn't worry about the "Y" strap with the 35" Project. I have held down (2) 33's before with mine and never had a issue.

D-rek

Reaction
I have a y-strap on a 35" project with nothing else and it works fine.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
lets see here, i like the giant bolt and a huge wing nut way... its classy and never seen a spare come off yet...
of course on the TT we have a billet clamp type thing that holds the center of the wheel its really cool, Mckenzies and Kartek sells them

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
I know I should ask this in the shop fabrication forum but here goes!

I need to know if I switch to a "Y" strap to hold my spare tire do I need to have more belt loops sewn onto my pants?

wstephens

Reaction
lets see here, i like the giant bolt and a huge wing nut way... its classy and never seen a spare come off yet...
of course on the TT we have a billet clamp type thing that holds the center of the wheel its really cool, Mckenzies and Kartek sells them

That's how we roll....

_deleted_

doesnt not
Reaction
yup, the old wing nut with the old five lug drum weld to the frame, with three studs in the drum.

uncle crusty

Reaction
BRINGTHERUCKUS said:
not to mention the wing not think is easy to put a lock onto.
That and if you weld the right size socket on one end, the wing nut becomes your lug wrench. Funny, you just don't see many of these anymore. We used these all the time over 15 years ago and they worked great. The stud that the wing nut threads onto can be drilled and a clip or lock put through that and there is no way it comes off.
Good luck on your project. ;)

Reaction
I have been led to believe that is the problem with that setup - the nut works loose and then can jam on the stud so you can't get the spare off.

At best it's slower, and we don't need to lock it, it's for the RaceShock Coyote.

And I just learned that spare issue and the time wasted therewith probably cost us the 2-lap OA and class win last weekend at Terrible's. Bummer!

Lee doesn't like the type you guys have on the TT. And if you remember how our spare tire rack is mounted with clamshells and clamps, you'll know why: he's afraid we'll lose the whole kit and caboodle. Which is also one of the issues Lee has with a Y-strap.

BTW, your mom says she knows what you've been doing at lunch! And, Nim, my official SAM STEIGER curmudgeon suspenders have clamps on 'em for today's pantaloons sans brace buttons. Hope that helps!