How do you organize your chase truck?

ratoutahell

Hey guys,

Like the title says, I'm interested to know what you carry and how you organize what you have?

Pictures = bonus points lol!

ratoutahell

So I guess to be more specific, i'm curious as to what is used to store bolts, fluids, hoses, tools, or whatever you are carrying. Or does everyone just throw there stuff in

Mayonnaise jars (plastic) full of hardware in milk crates, fluids contained in same, tools in toolboxes, etc. to start going up to high dollar custom utility beds with a specific place for each and every item.

Think of a way to anchor larger items like tires, jacks, fuel cans.

Check out the build threads and other older chase truck threads.

I bet there's been a dozen or more.

ratoutahell

Cool thanks. Yeah I went through all the old "chase truck" threads checking them out. Not much info as to what and how the items went into the trucks.

What do you have? A standard pickup bed? Think of what layout suites you best. It could be toolbox at left rear of bed, with jacks, shovel, etc. to right.

If you do it the same each race, it becomes habit, and quicker to grab what you need.

JDDurfey

I personally like to use plastic storage containers. I bought a bunch years ago with the hinged interlocking lids that are split down the middle. They stack well, which makes them ideal for stacking and tying down in the back of a pickup. I carried motorcycle parts in them and then when I was pitting or working on our bike I could line up the boxes on the ground next to the truck. I kept fluids in one, parts like air filters, spare chain and sprockets, tubes in another. I had a plastic tool box I bought at Sears with wheels and a handle that I could stack the boxes on or wheels and tires and then carry a bike stand in the other hand if I had to hike from where I parked to pit.

stewwalker

We use plastic storage boxes, specifically Rubbermaid action packer, pelican cases for the really important stuff and Plano fishing tackle boxes for nuts, bolts and hand tools. The overlanding community has some good storage ideas, fumble through expeditionportal.com and you’ll find some ideas and lots of photos. My main rule is everything needs to fit like you’re playing Tetris, and needs to be strapped down tight. I had a friend get seriously injured because a sack of feed hit the back of his seat when mashing the brakes.

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert

johndjmix

We don’t yet have a service body on our chase truck, and I was too using the storage boxes. They work ok in a pickup bed, but too easy to steal and easily damaged.

Then, when I was at Home Depot one day it came to me. The big orange contractor “job boxes”. They are steel, rain/dust proof, super secure lockable, and strong. They are allready setup to be lifted by a forklift, which most of us have in our shops so loading and unloading becomes a 10 minute job. . Once in your truck they are too heavy to lift out, so the theft issue is solved.

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

51rcr

inside of the boxes I got the ten packs of like 3 different brands of the plastic shoe box sized containers since all fit a little different in spaces for there size. Makes it so you can keep things stacked 3 tall and sorted if it not full even. Also can sit lots of stuff out to use out of and not have stuff falling, rolling away. I write on them whats in them. clear helps others also look if not everything is labeled.
I also got other sizes for bigger stuff and oil ect. hard to stack antifreeze and oil jusgs not in a box. I also have some empty ones that don't have or can have stuff added that just help keep it all in place. I even keep tools in them. One has pliers, another screw drivers, which I was thinking of doing hole mounts, one for ratchets, ect ect. they work so good iam not sure if I want to mount a tool box in it. Also thought of doing holes or hangers for ratchets. Have a few types of ammo cans for other things like chains ect. Need a heavy grade box to stack chains. in the actual bed use totes that fit the best combo for size and parts. buy a few different sizes. Lots like the yello lid style. Also if stuff is tight you want lids that come off straight up. Some of the flip lid big boxes like Home depot has are nice but need space for the lid to flip. can also stack on top of the side boxes. I put narrower box on the bottom in some side boxes so I can tip to slide the top one out since some boxes have 3" wasted space top. Or you have smaller one you can slide out to get the others out.
I always love to look and see how people set up there stuff.
Good luck. Buy lots of variety of boxes for figuring it out.

JDDurfey

We don’t yet have a service body on our chase truck, and I was too using the storage boxes. They work ok in a pickup bed, but too easy to steal and easily damaged.

Then, when I was at Home Depot one day it came to me. The big orange contractor “job boxes”. They are steel, rain/dust proof, super secure lockable, and strong. They are allready setup to be lifted by a forklift, which most of us have in our shops so loading and unloading becomes a 10 minute job. . Once in your truck they are too heavy to lift out, so the theft issue is solved.

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
That is a good idea about the Job box. It wouldn't have worked for me because I needed to be able to rearrange the bed of my truck to fit 2 dirt bikes in as well. Occasionally, I had to fit 3 including all my boxes of parts and tools.

Theft in Mexico was always a concern with how easily one of my boxes could have walked off and the contents of each one was not easily replaceable once we crossed the border.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Best decision I ever made was building the right truck for the job.

For years all of my rescue teams have used their daily drivers and just loaded them with equipment. Stuff bounces everywhere, and is a pain in the a$$ to load and off load. Last year we were fortunate enough to build our first two rescue trucks and the number one things that helped us organize everything was working with Dana Pearce at General Truck Body in Montebello - He took our needs and built them into a service bed that works for us. Bouncing through the dirt and all our stuff is actually where we put it before hand.
10 (2).jpg

punchdrunk monkey

Utility bed truck. Each door has a laminated sheet (on the inside) noting what is in that compartment. Then within the compartment, Mastercraft bags with tools. Each back labeled "wrenches" "screwdrivers" "sockets". E-track in the bed so you can strap down any configuration. If you have multiple trucks, make each chase truck the same. That really helps so that any crew knows where everything is in each truck.

Lord Green

Harbor Freight (yeah, I know) has plastic ammo cans and pelican style boxes that are great for keeping dust off of things. Occasionally they're on sale.

bajafox

Accepted
My truck is easy. I show up, team owner tells me everything I need to toss in my truck and off I go.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Racer Tim

If were talking about chase trucks with utility beds we have one that has built in drawers and one that was open boxes and we decided to use trays. The drawers actually take up a lot of space and are not very efficient.

In the picture you can see the trays we do different color trays for each truck so the tools stay in the right truck. The trays are also nice because you can take them to where you are working.

Lights are a plus for night races!

IMG_6399.JPG

Mike_McCluskey

If were talking about chase trucks with utility beds we have one that has built in drawers and one that was open boxes and we decided to use trays. The drawers actually take up a lot of space and are not very efficient.

In the picture you can see the trays we do different color trays for each truck so the tools stay in the right truck. The trays are also nice because you can take them to where you are working.

Lights are a plus for night races!

View attachment 189285
Can you post more pics of your chase box please, also the rack and rear access area. Like what I can see so far.
Some pics I've collected as examples.

0903or_20_zupgraded_ranger_utvfully.jpg
1302_8l_10+chase_trucks_hardest_working_vehicles_around+royal_utility_bed.jpg
563561_10150701530559754_714089753_8910845_13057215_n.jpg

az_amsoil

I really like the pullout rack on my buddies chase (its for sale)...super easy to access the stuff shoved up front.
15202503_10210945703460457_4318255996544248325_n.jpg

Also, having the tires and jack on a swing out tailgate is also a big space saver and easy access. Instead of the show fuel cell, you can easily place a generator and welder.
15230798_10210945705300503_5740586299671576697_n.jpg

Keeping the tools in slide out drawers with cutouts keeps them in order and not bouncing around. Larger tools are placed in bags. Also labeling every service bay with an inventory sheet not only helps know whats in the bay, but makes for easy prep race to race.
15220159_10210945718580835_7779941789292460238_n.jpg