How do you pre run?

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
Well due to personal circumstance we sold the race cars but still have a 4 seat Jimco pre runner. The thing is we always raced and never pre run before.. In can't be as easy as 4 guys jumping in and going to Baja?

I'm thinking it's basically the same logistics? Chase truck in case the pre runner goes down, communications and support? It sure looks like racing $$

How do you all pre run?

Last edited:

dezert_nerd

Reaction
Take 5-6 guys with, go to Baja, start prerunning, meet the chase truck at some point during the prerun to make sure all is good, and swap guys in and out of the chase truck so everyone has a chance to go prerunning. That way its fun for everyone. Stop trying to overthink it, just go have fun.

mv181aa

Reaction
Just don't forget that safety and preparedness is just as important as a race.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Prerunning used to be about course recon. You went to observe the course, the surroundings, figure out logistical problems, etc... It wasn't meant for race practice. To do it properly, you didn't travel at race speeds. It was low key, time wasn't an issue as much as completeness of the task. You aren't going to race, you are going to have fun. Enjoy it. Keep it low key. maybe forgo the chase truck and save equipment like they had to do in the old days. I think everyone should have to prerun in swing axle bugs with minimal mods and only a roof rack to carry all their camping and sleeping supplies for the trip. If they won't race a vintage car at NORRA, they should have to prerun in one ALL the time! How fun would that be?

NIKAL

Reaction
When Prerunning we had 1 or 2 prerun buggy's and 2 chase trucks. The trucks were not necessarily there for support as much as they were doing their own recon, looking for course access, possible short cuts due to hwy log jams, possible pit areas etc.. Then in the evenings we would talk about possible trouble issues on the race course and how the chase crews might be able to get into those spots.

Now since you dont have a race car anymore, you dont need to prerun. But what you do need to do is some fun Baja play trips. And with these trips all you need is 2 or 3 prerunners with you and no chase support. Take the trucks and trailers and leave them at Rancho Veronica in Tecate and spend 3-4 days running, some of the old course's new courses or just plan your own routes. Each night stay in a different town and enjoy Baja, and not the pressures of racing.

JDDurfey

Reaction
There are so many cool places in Baja that I have raced and pre-run by that I didn't have the time to stop and see. Make sure you plan plenty of time each day to sight see. I was always on a time crunch while prerunning. Stop at Mike's for the night (I did do that once) Stop along the coast and enjoy the view. (only did that a couple of times)
Pack some tools in the pre-runner and make sure you have a tow strap, shovel, and an air compressor and you very well may be able to help a broken down racer that is trying to pre-run for their race. I had non racers that were just down there to have a good time help my teammates and me several times and it was always such a huge help and made my day as a racer.
And to me, there was nothing better than taking someone new and introducing them to one of the most fun places to play on earth. Seeing a newbs eyes light up with excitement is fun. Take lots of steekers to hand out.

Most importantly, have FUN! And be safe while doing it.

J Burleson

Reaction
however you do it, do it sober! Cold frosties are for AFTER a long day in the dirt.

Stuilen

Reaction
Set a date and get your people lined up. Plan for 4-5 days for something that should only take 2-3 days on paper.
Back in the day we used to leave after work during the week to run a night section in Baja in a street truck with whatever brand tire we were sponsored by at the time and not much else besides the very basics. Bottled water wasn't readily available and the gallon jugs made it 2 miles. I've never heard of anybody still stranded out there. Think that is some of the mystical draw to Baja.
Get your vehicles down there, unload and point them in the direction of fun places to see and even race courses both upcoming and older. You will remember what you see and it will always come in handy the next time you go down for whatever occasion along with memories of all the other good times and troubles you might have along the way. The BFG book will never come out of the glove box more than likely unless the camera is underneath it.

johndjmix

Reaction
And be sure to stop at this taco stand. It's somewhere between pit 1 and 3 last year. Amazing tacos. Rusty chime in if you can and get a closer location where we stopped...

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1470549505.108539.jpg

Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
....the baja1000.....with 25 polaris RAZORS this year....details to follow....get your razor BAJA READY!!!!!!

sanfelocrew

Reaction
Well due to personal circumstance we sold the race cars but still have a 4 seat Jimco pre runner. The thing is we always raced and never pre run before.. In can't be as easy as 4 guys jumping in and going to Baja?

I'm thinking it's basically the same logistics? Chase truck in case the pre runner goes down, communications and support? It sure looks like racing $$

How do you all pre run?
Any time if yo want to try salada-san felipe, me and a friend have experience on pit and race, bilingual both, non vicious just love off- road, bonus pack we are from san felipe, just living in mexicali right know, send me a msg, we help you out, regards

Enviado desde mi XT1528 mediante Tapatalk

Wendell #527

Reaction
Funnest baja pre runs ever were taking a bunch of jeeps over the whole course and taking a week to do it. Camping out on the trail somewhere wherever it worked out. No hurries. Good times...