How do you ride in the heat?

hotdogwater

How do you guys handle the heat? I live in TX and with the 60+ days over 100 this summer, I have not had much opportunity to ride.

I have built a lite weight liquid cooled system that works great and was wondering if others would be interested in a cooler option to ride in the heat.

I have done a little testing and think I have a pretty good solution but not sure if it's just me that can't stand the heat. I have seen some of the solutions offered to racers and a some that are "portable" if you can carry a bag/cooler somewhere. Most range from $300-$500. I think I could make these more affordable and wondering about the price point and demand.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

-HDW

woundedyak

Mammals fear me
Try riding in the Midwest! Once the snow melts and it's half way decent (above 40) you half to watch out for lose salt,sand, grave and pot holes that have no problem swallowing a F-150. Then right about the time the city gets all that figured out. The temp sores up into the high 80's and 90's with 90% plus humidity. I will take a 100 degree dry day over a 80 degree humid day. You will eat a helmet liner up in one full day of riding. And good luck wearing a full set of leathers. You are definitely looking at a good case of Heat stroke if you don't past out first. So why not ride at night? HA! Well, it's just as humid and now you have june bugs the size of bumble bee's and locus the size of a mouse splatting all over your visor were you half to pull over and clean it every 1/4 to 1/2 mile, and not to mention every other bug that chews,drills and burrows it's way down your leathers. And don't forgot deer and raccoon's the size of Pitbull's

Rock Donkey

Ride early in the AM....and throw some ice cubes in your Camelbak ;)

RacerX1

I'm sure the issue in Texas is the humidity. I am someone who can't handle a lot of humidity. I can ride/race in the dry, hot desert any day. Slowly acclimating yourself to the conditions helps a lot too. And of course, LOTS of hydration & electrolytes.

Our friend has made this helmet hydration system. It keeps your head cool/wet by using the water from your Camel Pak. You can take a look ~ http://www.headration.com/

dirtdudeaz

Hydrate with lots of water the night/eveing before. Go as early as you can. Take breaks if you need to. I wear riding shorts in the summer to let some breeze in. Wear your camel back and drink while you're riding. Make sure you keep sweating; when it stops you should worry.

jsmstorm

Ride early in the AM....and throw some ice cubes in your Camelbak ;)
What he said... I usually get up about 430 load up the bike and gear.... Out to Plaster City or Superstition by about 500-530 by the time I am geared up and let the bike warm up for a few the sun is coming up and I get about a 3 hour ride in and load up and head home by 800-830.... But yea camelback with lots of ice is a must... I may be interested though you got any pics of what you got?

hotdogwater

What he said... I usually get up about 430 load up the bike and gear.... Out to Plaster City or Superstition by about 500-530 by the time I am geared up and let the bike warm up for a few the sun is coming up and I get about a 3 hour ride in and load up and head home by 800-830.... But yea camelback with lots of ice is a must... I may be interested though you got any pics of what you got?
RacerX1 -That is pretty cool product. I like the idea, I usually wet my head 1/2 way through a ride.

I was thinking of using the water from my camel bag but I didn't want to make everything food safe. Plus you loose your cooling capacity as you drink it and the water would be pretty warm as you drank it. There is also the problem of pulling water through 50' of hose.

jmstorm- I do have pics, see attached. It's basically a pump attached to a bladder inside the black neoprene sleeve. The water is pumped through the shirt every 2-3 min (variable for different cooling needs) and returns to the bladder to be re-cooled. The timer circuit I built controls the duration of pumping and the pause time between. Whole system prob weighs 3-4 pounds with the water, battery and pump.

I think without the shirt (I didn't make this one but I have some ideas to improve it) I can sell the system for around $120. Shirts are $80-$140 depending on the version (cotton vs lycra type).

-HDW

Attachments

Last edited:

troyharper

DA Meatball
try the beach in BAJA..

kenaroo

Raced a Hare Scrambles in Centerville Texas two week ago.. race started around 90 degrees and by the time it was done it was 102. got 2nd over 40 A and 3rd overall 2 hr expert. did five- 10 mile loops in the trees and sand bottoms.

took me over an hour to cool down after the race.. ended up hosing my self off with cool water at my buddies RV.

trick here is to drink a ton of water.. about a gallon a day.. then ride ride ride and don't stop..

as soon as you stop that's when it gets hot.

When we do just go riding.. we start at 7 or 8 am and quit around or before noon.

If you like ... there's a race this weekend in Middleton... I'd be happy to test that contraption for you :)

hotdogwater

Raced a Hare Scrambles in Centerville Texas two week ago.. race started around 90 degrees and by the time it was done it was 102. got 2nd over 40 A and 3rd overall 2 hr expert. did five- 10 mile loops in the trees and sand bottoms.

took me over an hour to cool down after the race.. ended up hosing my self off with cool water at my buddies RV.

trick here is to drink a ton of water.. about a gallon a day.. then ride ride ride and don't stop..

as soon as you stop that's when it gets hot.

When we do just go riding.. we start at 7 or 8 am and quit around or before noon.

If you like ... there's a race this weekend in Middleton... I'd be happy to test that contraption for you :)

Kenaroo, What size guy are you? My shirt is an XXL (but fits like an XL) and with a jersey and roost protector over it, it will stay snug to the body. Also, do you have a larger camel bak? big enough to fit 2 bladders (one for drinking and one for cooling)?

I would love some feedback and additional testing. We are out of town this weekend so I can't use it.

I have two batteries if the race is long but the trouble is water getting warm before the batt's run out.

What part of Austin are you in?

-HDW

kenaroo

I wear an XL as I'm 210 lbs.

I'm in Lakeway off of 620

I got plenty of different camelbaks the one I used at the race was a 70oz unit that I packed full of Ice and them topped off with water.. stayed cool the whole race.. I also Have one of the M.U.L.E. backs as well.

I'll PM you my contact info

shawnhdz

Wake up at 4;30 start riding at 5;45.back to the truck at 9;00.Mule Camel Back, in the fridge Ice cubes when i load up..Never ride alone.
Drink water even if you're not thirsty, and i like to chew gun.May sound silly.Two gallons of cold water at the truck,one for drinking and one to cool off, if need be.Trust me it's hot here 100 @ 5;00 am, 110 by 9;00am.Leave the beer alone the night before.Yes i do ride fully geared up.

Racer21(Roberto)

i like to chew gun.
He chews GUM! not guns. dont worry everybody. lol, jk.

anyways. i just get my camelback, (actually hydrastorm) fill it 2/3rds up, and put ice in it.
it gives me nice and cold water for a couple hours. and honestly, you dont need to fill it up all of the way, because that is just a lot of stress on your back when you hit those whoops. i learned that the first time i rode with it.

i can ride for 80+ miles without stopping, with my hydrastorm.

hotdogwater

Thanks for all the feedback.

I hear everyone on the drinking water stuff. I have an issue with over heating and have since I was a kid. I can hydrate for 2-3 days before and still over heat.

Outside of just getting too hot, some car drivers use them to help with concentration. Heat can add to fatigue and really start to reduce performance. I'm not competing on a bike, would like to get a car to run in Baja someday (not many partners to split the work, driving and $$$ with in TX) so I will use it for competition eventually. The car systems are even easier to make, just need a small cooler, $20 bilge pump and some wire and tubing. The connectors to fit on the fast shirt are not cheap but it's a dry break connector so no spilling and worth the $$$ IMO.

Have lots of ideas to improve the system, ways to eliminate the reservoir to lighten the system and cool it from a battery. Better shirt designs and tubing, jackets for street riding in hot climates...etc..etc..

I thought there might be some interest in this type of setup for year round riding outside of people with my heat issues but it seems like most have their own method of keeping the temp down.

It's not looking like a million dollar idea, back to the drawing board.

Thanks again for the feedback.
-HDW (Daryl)

Racer21(Roberto)

Thanks for all the feedback.

I hear everyone on the drinking water stuff. I have an issue with over heating and have since I was a kid. I can hydrate for 2-3 days before and still over heat.

-HDW (Daryl)
you should probably go to the doctor. do u think its that your not swetting enough?