How hot is HOT

daltonfixr

Reaction
A team member and myself are dis-agreeing on how hot is hot. We run a type 1VW. He thinks that 260 deg. is hot but not hot enough to hurt anything. He says that above 300 deg. is the critical point.
I get worried when the car gets to 235 deg. and I start letting out of it when it gets to 240. When it hits 260 I pull over.
What do you think?

DougM

Reaction
A regular street 1614-1835cc motor with a oil cooler should run on the freeway at 180-200* MAX.

A 1650 race motor may run a little hotter, but remember this isn't a waterpumper so all that cools it is the oil..

dezertchick

Reaction
A stupid old VW trick, if you can grab the dipstick and hang on to it, its fine, if it burns the hell out you, its too hot.

UndercoverFab

Reaction
I dont know how much of a toll the desert takes on a vw engine, but in our dirt modifieds when we saw 230 we started keeping an eye on it and at 240 we started backing down unless we were in a positiion to win, our sprint car engines stayed around 230 and that was normal for us, the few vw engines i`ve had experience with all ran around 220-240 on the street and in trail buggys.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
on our class 10 car 190-200 was normal up hills and in the sandwashes we saw 220-240 but at around 240 the motor started to ping really bad so we would back off to about 220 and just run it but 260 on an air cooled motor is way too hot if it was a water pumper I would say you could run 260 for a little while....Mike

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I get worried when the car gets to 235 deg. and I start letting out of it when it gets to 240. When it hits 260 I pull over. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

A little off subject but, for water cooled motors....

220 is max for sustained running.

A few tips.

1) Dump the thermostat
2) If the motor runs too cool, try a restrictor plate in place of the thermostat.
3) Try Redline "Water Wetter". I have witnessed a 15 degree drop with this stuff.

Another oddity is water circulating through the block too fast due to performance water pumps. The restrictor plate helps here as well.

hoeker

Reaction
for an air cooled race engine i would think that the way the engine is built and the quality of oil will make the decision of how hot is too hot. synthetic oils can handle more temp than conventional oils, 260 is probly OK for them, but if your engine tolerances are too tight 260 may be hot enough to start scuffing pistons, and maybe hurting the bearings. i ran my last race motor to 250 hard, then decided based on how the race was going what i would do after that, but i had the engine built for that kind of temp.

your definately best off below 230 deg, if it is a regular problem i would recommend starting to find a better cooling solution, even changing engine oil viscosity can make it cool better.

maybe test the oil to see if your getting excessive thermal breakdown.

www.rosshoek.com

ESB4130

Reaction
hmm. on my little toyota 4 cyl, it ran good under 180.. at like 215-220 i got pretty worried, but it held up fine for a few hours of that.

poolman

Reaction
Why would

Wayne_Nosala

Reaction
Best way to keep a VW cool, ....keeping to the subject

1) Use a early stock doghouse fan shroud, no heater ducts

2) Do NOT use a power pulley, not much HP gained opposed to cooling
loss by spinning fan slower

3) Install full flow oil system, with oil cooler &amp; fan setup (kartek sells cooler, a bit
pricey, but good investment for hard desert conditions)

VWs do not like exxesive heat for very long, the cases,cylenders warp or heads will eventually fail

martininsocal

Reaction
I have always tried to keep my oil temp between 180 ands 210 After that, it only takes a slight deviance to have something fail if you push too hard. If you don't run a fan on your cooler now, it is a good investment to help with the slow running. One of the problems with teh aircooled motors is they are very prone to ping damage when hot, the material in the heads fails pretty easy when it is warm and starts to detonate. Running uphill in washes places the kind of strain on motors that can create this problem. Another factor is the type of fuel you run. Watch what oxygenators the supplier uses, some wreak havok on soft metals and create a lot more heat. I always try to have enough cooling on my motor so I don't have to use a fan, but when it is 120+ and you have to run uphill, it is nice insurance.