How important is the driver/team for builders?

MADMILLER

Reaction
I have been involved with this sport since 1999.Through those years i have seen multiple big $$$$ guys come into this sport with the assumption they will win if they spend the most.I believe TSCO has had the perfect idea behind them to sell their trucks by getting andy behind the wheel.That there showed that their trucks can win with the right driver and team...How many builders out there have the best money can buy but no one has been able to put up results for them?I know mason has eugenio driving their mason... the best you can buy truck.... but what i can see he will never put results up if he continues to beat that truck like it owes him money.Seems the same builders win over and over to this day minus tavo...that truck is 100% race with a nut behind the wheel...What if you put rob mac in something non geiser or jimco.I have not seen a racer do what its supposed to do yet but i know mcmillins are very close and they had lots of in house changes so can you really call it a "racer" at this point?.I know a brand new not modified geiser could win tomorrow. Can anyone else do that with the right driver and team.Alot of companies are stepping up the design game and im curious to see what happens.

nelson979

Reaction
Speaking of. Jessie Jones getting a new 4wd gieser?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Robin Hood

Reaction
Jimco and Geiser have a lot of customers with deep pockets testing their product for them. Add in the experience on the prep side and racing and it brings a winning combination that is hard to beat.

TSCO has been around long enough and are smart enough to benefit from being close to these companies over the years so they certainly aren't starting from scratch.

Robert Mason

Reaction
I have been involved with this sport since 1999.Through those years i have seen multiple big $$$$ guys come into this sport with the assumption they will win if they spend the most.I believe TSCO has had the perfect idea behind them to sell their trucks by getting andy behind the wheel.That there showed that their trucks can win with the right driver and team...How many builders out there have the best money can buy but no one has been able to put up results for them?I know mason has eugenio driving their mason... the best you can buy truck.... but what i can see he will never put results up if he continues to beat that truck like it owes him money.Seems the same builders win over and over to this day minus tavo...that truck is 100% race with a nut behind the wheel...What if you put rob mac in something non geiser or jimco.I have not seen a racer do what its supposed to do yet but i know mcmillins are very close and they had lots of in house changes so can you really call it a "racer" at this point?.I know a brand new not modified geiser could win tomorrow. Can anyone else do that with the right driver and team.Alot of companies are stepping up the design game and im curious to see what happens.
We have had very good input from all of the drivers who have been behind the wheel of one of our Trophy Trucks. We are confident that one will be in the winners circle eventually. Larry Connor and Steven Eugenio will give it all they have at the Baja 1000.

How important is the driver/team for builders?

Getting the right teams in one of your trucks is very important!

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
Quite possibly the most important decision in todays world of building cars.

MADMILLER

Reaction
I did hear voss is having a racer built right now...that will be interesting

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
I did hear voss is having a racer built right now...that will be interesting
With such a winning truck, it weird to think that he would want to change despite it having a few years and crashes on it.

AZ7000'

Reaction
With such a winning truck, it weird to think that he would want to change despite it having a few years and crashes on it.
#firstworldproblems

Fly'n Ryan

Reaction
Didn't Juan Carlos Lopez just win the Rosarito Desert Challenge in a Racer?

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
Lofton won in a Jimco out the box. As far as I know, all the work is done by Jimco to that truck also.

Fourstroker

Reaction
Lofton won in a Jimco out the box. As far as I know, all the work is done by Jimco to that truck also.
Doesn't surprise me. Mike Julson and Lofton's Dad raced together for many years

Robert Mason

Reaction
How exactly has Eugenio continued to beat the truck like it owes him money? Truck has only been to one race. Rosarito on Saturday as a test for the Baja 1000. Unfortunately kicked up a rock and cracked one of the rear brake calipers but over all we were happy with how it performed.

slicric

Reaction
Brian Collins/Larry Ragland won out of the box. BJ Baldwin won out of the box and went on to win the SCORE TT Championship. ( he had never even been on the podium.) Steven Eugenio did great his first year, also winning the SCORE TT championship. All in ID Designs/SPD trucks.

MADMILLER

Reaction
How exactly has Eugenio continued to beat the truck like it owes him money? Truck has only been to one race. Rosarito on Saturday as a test for the Baja 1000. Unfortunately kicked up a rock and cracked one of the rear brake calipers but over all we were happy with how it performed.
I guess i should refer that to there is differant types of drivers,Eugenio would be considered a hammer but thats my opinion...there is alot of other drivers that are considered hammers as well i know i have changed back tires on some midrace.No disrespect but every video i see of him driving he is on a mission to prove that truck can win.But that also comes with flat tires as well.Im sure your truck will win soon.I know bryce said he could win with it right now.

C.J. Hutchins

Reaction
Brian Collins/Larry Ragland won out of the box. BJ Baldwin won out of the box and went on to win the SCORE TT Championship. ( he had never even been on the podium.) Steven Eugenio did great his first year, also winning the SCORE TT championship. All in ID Designs/SPD trucks.
*aka Billy Goerke designed

C.J. Hutchins

Reaction
I think there are a lot of good trucks out there right now, so many actually we rarely see any one team dominate anymore. It takes the right team, the right driver/navigator, and it also still takes some good ole' fashioned luck, one hiccup in the pits and you could lose a race these days.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I think there are a lot of good trucks out there right now, so many actually we rarely see any one team dominate anymore. It takes the right team, the right driver/navigator, and it also still takes some good ole' fashioned luck, one hiccup in the pits and you could lose a race these days.
This^^^

It never fails to amaze me how close the top 3-5 finishers are to each other. This past year I've been fortunate to crew for TTTT 90 piloted by Josh Daniel. He's fast. The truck is fast. And with barely an exception I'm proud to say our pit stops have been mind blowingly fast.

Being a front runner or near the front is a tricky thing to manage. You have to be just barely faster to win but no so fast that that you wad it up or break or get a flat. And you have to pay attention to what the other fast guys are doing. When did they fuel. Do they have to fuel. Did they get tires for their last lap? Are our time splits accurate? It's a lot to calculate. And this is what we have to figure out so that josh can get a simplified version from us so he knows exactly what he needs to do hold a pace that gets us the win were seeking. It's stressful and it's exciting. I love and hate this part. But I've never been a fan of teams that enter and are just going for a good finish or a top five spot. Racing is fun but winning is way more fun. It makes it worth it.

Josh has a Geiser. Obviously a proven platform. The wazoo high hp motor he has is awesome and the electronics help us keep track of everything. Speeds, fuel economy, temps, etc. That fancy package certainly has its advantages but still, he has to be smart and fast. The rest of us have to bring our A Game as well. And we need to behave luck on our side and maybe have dudes like tavo and voss be a little unlucky too. All that needs to be right to win in unlimited. And when it is, it's always just barely better, like seconds better, than the next guy. Any hiccup can bump you from the top spot to second.

In the end, as a pit guy who has been fortunate enough to chase for some talented drivers with the best equipment there iswho can win onthe right day, what I worry about mostly are flats. One flat can just ruin a 60,250 ,450, 500, 900 mile flawless day. One flat. ONE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slippery P

Reaction
Driver/Team for builders is huge, not only for vehicle builders but engine builders as well.
Josh TTTT#90 is an excellent driver who in my opinion is on a whole other level as far as driving strategy, and vehicle dynamics goes. If a few of the top drivers were willing to see the light of boost, TT racing would see a big change.

Zac Reish

Reaction
This^^^

It never fails to amaze me how close the top 3-5 finishers are to each other. This past year I've been fortunate to crew for TTTT 90 piloted by Josh Daniel. He's fast. The truck is fast. And with barely an exception I'm proud to say our pit stops have been mind blowingly fast.

Being a front runner or near the front is a tricky thing to manage. You have to be just barely faster to win but no so fast that that you wad it up or break or get a flat. And you have to pay attention to what the other fast guys are doing. When did they fuel. Do they have to fuel. Did they get tires for their last lap? Are our time splits accurate? It's a lot to calculate. And this is what we have to figure out so that josh can get a simplified version from us so he knows exactly what he needs to do hold a pace that gets us the win were seeking. It's stressful and it's exciting. I love and hate this part. But I've never been a fan of teams that enter and are just going for a good finish or a top five spot. Racing is fun but winning is way more fun. It makes it worth it.

Josh has a Geiser. Obviously a proven platform. The wazoo high hp motor he has is awesome and the electronics help us keep track of everything. Speeds, fuel economy, temps, etc. That fancy package certainly has its advantages but still, he has to be smart and fast. The rest of us have to bring our A Game as well. And we need to behave luck on our side and maybe have dudes like tavo and voss be a little unlucky too. All that needs to be right to win in unlimited. And when it is, it's always just barely better, like seconds better, than the next guy. Any hiccup can bump you from the top spot to second.

In the end, as a pit guy who has been fortunate enough to chase for some talented drivers with the best equipment there iswho can win onthe right day, what I worry about mostly are flats. One flat can just ruin a 60,250 ,450, 500, 900 mile flawless day. One flat. ONE

Such great insight Dan. Thanks for sharing your perspective and experience. Guys like you and I'm sure the rest of Josh's team are so important to getting a win. Kudos to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J Burleson

Reaction
I think we are seeing a boom in trophy truck, class 10 and 6100 builders right now. I think most of them could care less who buys their chassis, as long as someone buys it. We live in the CAD age and it has made it "easy" for everyone and their brother to "design" chassis. How many TT and/or 6100 builders are there currently?
1-Geiser
2-racer
3-tsco
4-armada
5-camburg
6-jimco
7-id
8-mason
9-jeffries
10-es
11-smith/herbst
12-fusion
13-clark
14-who else? I'm sure there are more and many of them build 10 cars too. Does everyone think this will last? Especially when there are so many used rigs for half the price or less. and yes, I do think the driver and team helps to sell trucks(more than one or two)