• Forum membership has its advantages....

How long to pre run Baja courses?

MTPyle

OK Ok I know the obvious answer is it depends on how fast your going. LOL

We have pre ran course like Silver State and Parker in our Raptor so we have an idea of what we can cover in a day on BITD course.

But are Baja courses more difficult to pre run? We raced the B1K in 18 and finished but did not pre run. So we have no idea what to expect down there.

Trying to plan how many days we need to Pre run the Baja 500 course in July? Originaly we planned to take the Raptor and two dirt bikes but with it being in July it might be too hot for Dirt bikes so we may just take the Raptor.

So the question is how many days would you plan to pre run 500 miles of Baja in a Raptor? BTW Our raptor isn't crazy but was built by Baja HQ and has Camburg front end with separate bypass's and Large Bypasses in the rear with a SVC bed cage, and 37" tire. So it does decent.

Can we do it in 3 days?

Mike

43mod

yes. better to take two weeks though ;) . Bring the bikes regardless. UTV better than most raptors to me. Probably not as reliable but far more fun.

MTPyle

We pre ran in UTV’s before we got the raptor and although they are more fun to drive the dust and heat suck after a long day.

we can do 125 miles on dirt bikes in one day but you are spent the next day. At least I am. Haha

we pre ran the Silver-state 300 course on our dirt bikes in 3 days. But we camped in one spot so it took longer to get to and from the points on the course. But after that 3 days I could barely walk.

I would be nervous to only have one vehicle out there. If we don’t bring the bikes we may try and find someone to team up with for the pre run.

Mike

43mod

give yourself 4-5 you will be much happier. I would think rooms would not be hard to get South of Ensanada . San Q at Don Eddies next door both have great food and serviceable rooms . I would probably wing it w no reservation or book two rooms for a week and make it simple. Or buy Don Eddies someone needs to.

CMA GUMBY

Take a UTV also. Or team up. Solo vehicle, no matter how "Well Prepped" it is, is not a good idea anywhere. I know you are smarter than that...rivers Tradeoff drivers as needed. Have fun.

Wendell #527

I guess everybody stays in hotels every night these days. We had so much fun camping out in the middle of nowhere next to the course. We’d take 6 or 7 cherokees and trucks and just camp together. Sometimes we’d go back and forth over some sections to figure out which way was faster and we’d mark the crap out of our gps. We’d stay at a hotel in Ensenada the first night and the last night and usually 4 or 5 days camping on the course. Those were fun pre runs. We took kids and everything and never had a problem. You really learn to appreciate how cool Baja is that way—-and how cool the people of Baja are.

GBRACER

We take 3-4 days to run the 1000 thats the only race we do, we dont do the whole thing but get a good majority done, we camp near the beach or in Cativinia have a lot of fun but I do notice it complicates the **** out of things eats time money and resources, we have had just as good resullts with no pre run, but we are also running in a 5-1600 so speeds are not up there and gota ya's are really just not as critical as higher speed trucks and buggy's

Anger Issues

I would say very do-able (3 days) but have a backup plan/extra vehicle, someone not committed in the Raptor. If something weird happens (fuel relay, or a big rock you didn't see) in the middle of nowhere, you will need a person with a capable vehicle to get in there. Do you carry an extra fuel relay Mike? Ours left us stranded a few times before I re-did the ground so it couldn't back out. Hasn't happened since then. My Raptor is bone stock and I really don't ever want to pre-run in it again... just tears it up and makes me sad. It can do it, but vehicles that come home from Baja are never really the same again. I have gone through several Broncos, sadly. We have also towed out other racers and vice-versa. People are usually pretty awesome while prerunning, even the big-namers.

I echo the above comments, add a day (or more) if you can somehow squeeze it in. You won't regret chilling out a bit, but I know, duty calls and you guys have been squeezing in a LOT of racing (prior to the death-scare). Don't forget to HAVE FUN!
1210171738.jpg
Ken

MTPyle

Ken

did not know about the fuel Relay. I will look into that, thanks Our Raptor was built for Baja and had many trips down there for pre run as Bobby Pecoys pre runner. We bought it used from him. So it has all the battle wounds already. Haha. We just did a full prep and added a cage with belts in it. It’s no Luxury pre runner but it’s fun and does decent.

I agree we need another vehicle. I have a few friends that might join us. Just trying to see if we can go down just before the race and get the pre run in close to the race so the course does not change much. I know it will be busy down there the week before the race but might be easier than going down and back then down and back. It’s a long drive from Utah.

although now that I am thinking about it I guess I could send the guys down with the pre runner then I fly down to pre run and fly the guys back home and leave the pre runner and chase truck down there.

I like the idea of taking our time and even camping. Just need to work out the logistics. And not sure I can spend 2 weeks total in Baja for one race.

Mike

Dustino81

2019 Baja 1000 , we took 6 days to pre-run the entire course on bikes . That included 1 day dedicated to maintenance and relaxing .

43mod

Mike let me take a load off of your mind. I will pre run the worst and furthest out section 3 times and have 2 chase vehicles dedicated to this section w crews. Just show up at the appointed place w race truck and get out. I shall do my best to get it to the next spot ! Just saved you at least two days on the ground and multiple months of worry !

MTPyle

43 Mod, Problem solved. Haha.

that’s a good point though about splitting the pre run up. We are splitting the race up so maybe we just pre run our sections. We would need another pre runner but we could cut the time in half by doing that. Although one of the main reasons we race as a family is to have those experiences together and that would take away from the time together.

We might go down a week or two before and do the first 250 then go down And do the last 250 before the race.

just thinking out loud. These logistics for Baja are way more complex than a states race. Haha.

Mike

mgobaja

Take as much time to do it as you can afford to. 150 to 200 miles per day is VERY doable, and likely in the faster sections, could be done more than once in a day. it really depends on what your goal is during prerunning. Is it to create very detailed notes for Leadnav type use during the race, or to just site see, and make notes of big gotchas and problem areas, and finding work arounds for possible choke points on race day ?

Having a chase vehicle during prerunning is nice if you can swing it. Have them meet you at access points. With fuel / spare tire / food and drink.

For the 2017 Baja 1000, I did my section 3 weeks before the race, noticed some areas that had the potential to get bad on race day, spent some time at home on google earth, looking for options and it paid off. The chunk i did during the race i knew would all be in the dark, if I had the time i would have preran it at least once in the dark also.

Be on the road as the sun comes up, ready to start once it is light, take full advantage of the sun. Waiting to start at 10 AM, to me is wasting valuable daylight.

Robin Hood

Pre-running your section twice is twice as valuable as running it once. After the second time, it diminishing return and not as valuable, but beneficial if you have the time. If I was spending the time and money to race Baja, I would find a way to pre-run my section at least twice.

ekozy39

In a Raptor it’s going to be slow going IMO. Assuming you’re driving it home so that’s always in the back of your mind and you don’t click off miles like a proper pre-runner. Tons of fun, but not efficient if you’re trying to turn laps.

JDDurfey

I haven't raced Baja since 2007. But I will say one mistake I used to make was to always stay in Ensenada for the 500. I would spend way too much time driving to and from my pre-run spots. One thing I learned from Jim O'Neal and crew, leave the hotel before daylight so you are pre-running early and then do any maintenance at the end of the day. The early start also allows for issues on the course to hopefully be sorted out before dark.

If the course goes through Mike's Sky Ranch, which it probably will, make sure you stay there at least one night. That will save you a ton of driving. Like others have stated, there are some nice places to stay at San Quintin. I have also heard of people staying in Valley Trinidad, although I never did. I would waste time driving back to Ensenada, but I was also an extremely budget minded racer and if the sponsor provided a hotel room in Ensenada I wasn't going to spend my money on a room elsewhere. I did stay at Mike's while pre-running the Baja 1000 in 07, and super glad I did.

Chainguide

I would go a couple of weeks early and leisurely do the course in 3 days, enjoy the tacos and beer and learn the course. Then plan on spending one day prerunning your section a couple days before the race. It is amazing how much the course can change just prior to race day. Find your lines around silt beds, check for the all too many VCPs and hit your marks. For me, I have more fond memories prerunning with friends than the actual race.